WJC: Roster Talk '13 — Canada 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
To me, Rielly looked to have his confidence shaken last game, making a few unforced errors in his own end - he looked nervous as hell at times.

I'm not sure what role he's to play going forward. It's kind of up to him to settle down.

I disagree completely. Actually he had an extra jump on his first shift out there. I could tell right away he would be in for a good night. And actually it was the most physical game I've ever seen out Rielly although I haven't seen him all that much. It must have been because of his parents, but he was anything but nervous.

Gutchecktime

Dec 24, 2005
To me, Rielly looked to have his confidence shaken last game, making a few unforced errors in his own end - he looked nervous as hell at times.

I'm not sure what role he's to play going forward. It's kind of up to him to settle down.

Last game? The Slovakia game?

To me, he looked more confident last game than any game so far. In the second period, he seemed to be playing with authority and I didn't noticed any of these "unforced errors".

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Haha, I do dig IATL's no nonsense style myself.

I'd like to see a Rielly-Reinhart pairing. Rielly can play his game knowing that Big Griff has got his back. Activating a d-man with the dynamic offensive skills of Rielly against the USA could really help them.

Once you accept the fact that he lacks the social niceties, you appreciate his honesty and knowledge of hockey.

:)

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Well, "Impressed" might have been the wrong word. Better potential maybe? I haven't been able to watch them both till this tournament. So I've seen a bit of Nathan, and a little of Seth. Nathan's a good skater, but he looks tiny and I haven't noticed him at all which for a top prospect seems odd.

Turnovers, yes ... but I see more potential in Seth right now. Nice shot, big body, also a decent skater, but its so hard to get a good read on young D as well.

Mooseheads fan here, you can treat this as a homer post if you like. MacKinnon's been underused by Team Canada. I haven't seen anyofficial TOI stats from the tournament, but in the prelims he got 6:32 in the shootout win, and I'd argue he got about the same amount against Germany. He's been thrown into a 4th line grinder role so it's no wonder he isn't very noticeable :(

On the other hand, in the third period of the Slovakia game the line of Drouin - MacKinnon - Rattie cycled the puck at will against the Slovaks and Mac had a great dangle to get a scoring opportunity. He looked strong on the boards against the Slovaks and hopefully Spott will recognize this and give that line another chance.

DontToewzMeBro

May 8, 2010
Rattie-RNH-Scheifele
Jenner-Strome-Ritchie
Drouin-McNeil-MacKinnon
Camara-Danault-(Jenner)

Try that out when Jenner returns-

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Can't decide which core setup I like better:

Top6 format

??? - RNH - Scheifele
Huberdeau - Strome - ???
???-Jenner-Ritchie
Camara-Danault-McNeil
Lipon

???: Rattie, Drouin and MacKinnon depending on who's clicking or hot

or

Top9 format

Drouin - RNH - MacKinnon
Huberdeau - Strome - Ritchie/Rattie
Camara/Jenner - Scheifele - Rattie/Ritchie
Jenner/Camara - Danault - McNeil
Lipon

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
This is what I hope to see against Russia.

Huberdeau Nugent-Hopkins Scheifele
Drouin Strome MacKinnon
Lipon Jenner Rattie
Camara Danault Ritchie
McNeill

Harrington Hamilton
Rielly Ouellet
Reinhart Wotherspoon
Murphy

The top line is not changing. The talent is there for this line to dominate anyone, and they have done enough to satisfy thus far.

The second line puts MacKinnon and Drouin together. Ritchie is ineffective thus far, so I couldn't care less about taking him from Strome. If MacKinnon doesn't work on the wing, Rattie takes his place and MacKinnon reverts to the way he has been used thus far.

Third line is good defensively and Rattie makes them quite dangerous in the offensive zone. Lipon has been crappy so far, but I like him playing on this line as a potential playmaker for Rattie.

Fourth line has Danault dominating on defence with Camara providing physicality (seems like overkill if he's with Jenner) and Ritchie doing whatever it is he does.

McNeill spends his time on the reserve spot waiting for some PK time and wondering how he got on the team.

First pairing allows Hamilton to be in the ideal situation should he find his complete game. Harrington ensures that it will at least be a good pairing defensively.

Rielly gets to terrorize from this pairing, while Ouellet hopefully continues to be great at everything that is asked of him.

Reinhart and Wotherspoon play nice, solid defence and are competent offensively.

Murphy waits for PP time and reflects on his decision making both offensively and defensively. Wonders why he is hated so very much on the internet.

Gutchecktime

Dec 24, 2005

Drouin Strome MacKinnon
Lipon Jenner Rattie
Camara Danault Ritchie
McNeill

Harrington Hamilton
Rielly Ouellet
Reinhart Wotherspoon
Murphy

The top line is not changing. The talent is there for this line to dominate anyone, and they have done enough to satisfy thus far.

The second line puts MacKinnon and Drouin together. Ritchie is ineffective thus far, so I couldn't care less about taking him from Strome. If MacKinnon doesn't work on the wing, Rattie takes his place and MacKinnon reverts to the way he has been used thus far.

Third line is good defensively and Rattie makes them quite dangerous in the offensive zone. Lipon has been crappy so far, but I like him playing on this line as a potential playmaker for Rattie.

Fourth line has Danault dominating on defence with Camara providing physicality (seems like overkill if he's with Jenner) and Ritchie doing whatever it is he does.

McNeill spends his time on the reserve spot waiting for some PK time and wondering how he got on the team.

First pairing allows Hamilton to be in the ideal situation should he find his complete game. Harrington ensures that it will at least be a good pairing defensively.

Rielly gets to terrorize from this pairing, while Ouellet hopefully continues to be great at everything that is asked of him.

Reinhart and Wotherspoon play nice, solid defence and are competent offensively.

Murphy waits for PP time and reflects on his decision making both offensively and defensively. Wonders why he is hated so very much on the internet.

One of the few instances where I say this on these boards, but I agree with all of this.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I still think they need MacKinnon patrolling the centre of the ice. He's a good compliment to lots of different types of linemates on the wing, but he's wasted running only 1/3rd of the ice, imo.

Huberdeau - RNH - Scheifele
Drouin - Strome - McNeill(/Rattie)
Camara - MacKinnon - Rattie(/McNeill)
Jenner - Danault - Ritchie/Lipon

Harrington - Ouellet
Rielly - Hamilton
Wotherspoon - Reinhart
Murphy

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
MacKinnon should play with Drouin on a constant basis. Shake things up a bit:

PP

Rattie-RNH-Scheifele
Huberdeau-MacKinnon-Drouin
Than make Drouin play double minutes with the Strome line.

MacKinnon is gonna tear up this tournament if given the chance.

MyNameIsNobody*

Drouin Strome MacKinnon
Lipon Jenner Rattie
Camara Danault Ritchie
McNeill

Harrington Hamilton
Rielly Ouellet
Reinhart Wotherspoon
Murphy

I guarantee the Lipon will be the 13th forward...After taking the suspension....

Spott will not put MacKinnon + Drouin together...he would have done it against far weaker teams (he did it once 1 think only)

Rattie will see more minutes....

Drouin Strome Ritchie/Rattie
Mackinnon Jenner Rattie/Ritchie
Camara Danault McNeill
Lipon

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I guarantee the Lipon will be the 13th forward...After taking the suspension....

Spott will not put MacKinnon + Drouin together...he would have done it against far weaker teams (he did it once 1 think only)

Rattie will see more minutes....

Drouin Strome Ritchie/Rattie
Mackinnon Jenner Rattie/Ritchie
Camara Danault McNeill
Lipon

I was talking about what I would like to see, not what I actually expect. Lipon himself said that he expects to be the 13th forward and that Spott told him that he finds it hard to trust him.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

He is a nervous kid, being a recovering stutterer.

He played a great game this morning though, and to me he will improve each and every game as he becomes more comfortable and relaxed.

No doubt in my mind it should be him and Murphy on 1st pairing powerplay.

No offence Hamilton but GTFO

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011

Against Slovakia? He was Canada's best player easily... I'm not sure what game you were watching

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
What I want to see when Jenner returns:

Huberdeau - RNH - Scheifle
Camara - Strome - Ritchie
Drouin - Mackinnon - Rattie :yo:
Danault -Jenner - McNeil
Lipon

Lipon

TieClark

Jun 14, 2011
*arguably

He was good, but he definitely wasnt head and shoulders above schiefele, strome, ouellet, RNH.
Easily in my eyes. Ouellet and Reilly stood out so I could see Ouellet argued too. Neither of the other 2 you mentioned outperformed those 2.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I liked the lines from the Russian game today, and the changes to the PP. Canada can roll with those and if Subban plays well I don't see Canada being outplayed. I'm hopeful that Huberdeau and Strome still have a little something from last year, because if that second line reaches its potential the team will be ridiculously dangerous.

Jenner's return also made the third line dominant. He was better than I could have expected.

x94Galchenyuk94x*

Really wanna know why Spott insists on playing Rielly exclusively with Murphy. Why not split the two up so one can go wild while a defensive dman paired with them can stay back. The pairing hasn't cost any goals yet, but I'm sure it's a matter of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad