WJC: Roster Talk '13 — U.S.A. (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Wow. This team shattered my expectations. Never would have thought this.

Congrats to USA hockey and all the great posters in this thread who breathe Red White and Blue!

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I'll post more thoughts later but this team was so much fun to watch. I'm not surprised they did so well as I think I was one of the most optimistic posters about this team's chances but they even exceeded my expectations. What a fantastic team in a very strong tournament.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Tough to blame anybody now....though it's because you win or lose that you didn't make mistakes in your lineup. Yet, a win, shuts everybody up. Though not sure that a Noesen or a Kerdiles would have been detrimental to the team. But they won....all that matters.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
The entire defensive unit was just so dominant.

Every shift teams were facing Gibson and one of Jones/McCabe, Trouba, or Murphy.

Plus great defensive forwards (Grind line, Trocheck, Miller) and it's damn near unstoppable.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
A_23ZzmCAAAVJ_E.jpg

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Tyler Austin Biggs ‏@Tyler_Biggs
Words can't describe how I feel and to do it with this group of guys I couldn't ask for anything better.

Tyler Austin Biggs ‏@Tyler_Biggs
Truly fortunate to be part of this team #2013wjchampions!!!!!!

John Carlson ‏@JohnCarlson74
Congrats to Team USA winning the Gold-Medal!!! #USA #WJC

Patrick Kane ‏@88PKane
Congrats to Phil Housley and @USAhockey on winning the gold medal at World Juniors! #proudtobeanamerican

pat sieloff ‏@PatSieloff
Wow do I like winning. USA ALL THE WAY #OnTop

Cameron Fowler ‏@camfowler4
congratulations to the US boys on their gold medal. proud day for USA hockey.

Jim Craig ‏@JimCraigUSA
Congrats to Team USA for winning the Gold in hockey

Jake Gardiner ‏@Jgardiner272
USA brings back the gold medal! Congrats boys!! @mreilly93

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Congratulations:handclap: Your team was great in all games what I saw from it. Gaudreau was great to watch. Even thought it looked like the Final wasn't even best game to you when compared to others, completely deserved Championship.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Alex galchenyuk ‏@AGally94
I wanna thank my family for coming over to Ufa and supporting us ! I can't believe this!WE are the BEST in the world DAAA BESTTT #usahockey

VT3 ‏@trocheck_89
Speechless. USA gold medal champs! One of the greatest feelings I've ever felt in my life. We did it! #USAWJChampions

John Gaudreau ‏@johngaudreau03
World Junior Champions, gold medal feels good pic.twitter.com/VCJcDjY5

Jacob Trouba ‏@JacobTrouba
Golden

Seth Jones ‏@seth_jones04
this is an unbelievable moment. #golden #bestteam

Mario Lucia ‏@MLucia2293
Wouldnt of traded this experience for anything in the world Will never forget this team. World champions!! #WJChamps #puregold #USAHockey

Connor Murphy ‏@Cmurphy5
Lost for words but we just won a gold medal America. Lets celebrate. Couldn't have done it without all support, family, team.

Kershaw

I thought we weren't going to medal for not playing Galchenyuk 30 minutes a game. ;)

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Still in shock over this Gold. This team simply never quit. They never rattled and they never gave in to pressure, just stuck to their guns. I guess Phil Housley can coach!! ahhahahah

Proud of all these kids as they all played great hockey, especially cool for Rocco Grimaldi to be the guy that wins this for us considering the prior few games he had.

Gibson is simply amazing. One of the most sound and calm goalies I have ever seen, I think he is our next great one and not Jack Campbell.

The defense was amazing all tourney long, especially the pk. I think Connor Murphy was one of our unsung heroes as he just made so many big defensive plays every game. Kid gave up his body on a ton of blocked shots.

This is another great moment for USA Hockey!!

3 medals in 4 years!! and we still get doubted????

now lets defend this in Sweden boys!!! cant wait!!

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
A truly satisfying tournament to watch. I feel pretty silly after all this considering I doubted some of the most integral pieces of the team - specifically Housley, Gaudreau and McCabe - but as is always the case with anything US hockey related, I'm happy to be wrong. I'm very proud of them and all the others on the team who contributed to this success.

I think Gibson may have set a bar that no US goalie will match for years to come in this tournament. The US defense, as good as it was, still allowed some pretty great chances at important moments and Gibson flat out robbed a number of players, including a legit NHL star in Nugent-Hopkins. It's always hard to tell exactly how a goalie will develop but I have a huge amount of faith in this guy and I hope to see him play for us in the Olympics some day.

The team defense that was played throughout the tournament is another thing that might not be matched again soon. After the two tough losses in the preliminary stage that was the one thing that kept my hopes very high. I knew if the offense could find itself at all that the team could still be successful. I felt so good about it all after the Canada game that I really believed the US would win the gold medal, which might be the first time I can wholeheartedly say that in quite a while about such a game.

I'm also happy for the few guys who were a part of last year's team as they all managed to come up very big in this tournament and were a big part of why the team went from a 7th place finish to a Gold medal. Players don't always get that kind of shot at redemption and even fewer make good on it if they do so those guys have a lot to feel good about.

The coaching staff also deserves a ton of credit as despite the fact that most of us seemed to be turning on them when panic set in about the lack of offense, they stuck to a game plan and made the right choices rather than drastic ones. I'd be very happy to see Phil Housley come back next year and give it another go provided he doesn't move on from the high school scene to bigger and better things. He was presented with an opportunity in this and he clearly stepped up and made the most of it.

It might seem a bit odd to some but I'm also very happy for Alex Galchenyuk. He might not have dominated in the way that some of us had hoped but I always like to see a player who makes a choice like he did in favor of our program get rewarded. Sure, he might not have been developed within this country's system, but he's certainly wholly a part of it now and it made me smile to see him with that gold medal around his neck and think of the future.

Overall a great accomplishment and one that I wasn't really prepared for. I do hope we can continue to have success in this tournament more regularly and it seems we may be on our way to doing so. The next step from there would be to carry it on to the senior level. I need to see a US team win an Olympic Gold medal before I die.

On a final note, I'd hope that some people who may not have paid much attention to this tournament if the NHL were up and running have seen how entertaining it can be and plan to follow in the future. I completely acknowledge the fact that the NHL rules the hockey consciousness in this country but there's other stuff that can be very entertaining and that one can take pride in in the larger hockey world. I hope the NHL is back soon and I hope the American fans still take the time to support their national team going forward.

Kherron

Oct 7, 2012
The US was great defensively and it was awesome to see Miller as a Rangers fan, chipping in offensively without forgetting his defensive duties during the tourney. :handclap:

His faceoff numbers were good too. :nod:

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
I've been singing his praises across the internet but *******, McCabe's defensive presence is so far beyond where I thought it was over the summer. Flawless shift to end the game.

So hyped on this team right now, great group of guys.

Oct 18, 2011
Welp i have to eat crow, I was wrong. I don't know how they managed to start scoring goals but the team was built from the net out. great goaltending and good defensemen can take you a long way, funny how Housley went from idiot to winning gold though :laugh:

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Teams like this make me love my country more than the Flyers, and honestly, its not even close.

This team just had a special bond. Really pumped for these kids!!

Cheers to all of my fellow USA Hockey die-hards on this board as well!!!

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I've been singing his praises across the internet but *******, McCabe's defensive presence is so far beyond where I thought it was over the summer. Flawless shift to end the game.

So hyped on this team right now, great group of guys.

I would say in terms of who "impressed me" McCabe has to be tops on the list. I thought Trouba and Gibson were the Co-MVPs but I expected them to be this good.

McCabe just took his game up another 2 levels. Really impressed with his play in all 3 zones. Very jealous of the Sabres.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
lost in all this is poor Stefan Noesen. Imagine how this young man is feeling right now...I am sure very happy for him teammates, but man he has to be in the dumps to miss out on this.

his role would have been a lock for our top 6 and he would have played a significant role in our pk and pp units as well...I dont know if team chemistry would have been altered if he was here, and maybe we dont win the gold or even a medal if he was on this team (though I cant see how he would have not helped this group)....

not sure what forward would have been cut from this team if Noesen was here...Grimaldi?? Pietila?? Hartman??? Vesey?? all of them were huge for this squad at different times and it is hard to imagine how different an overall team and outtcome could have been with the addition of just one player...

It sucks for Stefan to have gotten robbed from this opportunity, but he will have a professional career and hopefully will get a chance in some upcoming WC tourneys to play for the US...hope he isnt taking this too hard.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I would say in terms of who "impressed me" McCabe has to be tops on the list. I thought Trouba and Gibson were the Co-MVPs but I expected them to be this good.

McCabe just took his game up another 2 levels. Really impressed with his play in all 3 zones. Very jealous of the Sabres.

I kept preaching about McCabe a few weeks prior to the tourney as the kid I was watching at Wisconsin was just impressing the hell out of me. there definitely were some posters who didnt share my joy with regards to McCabe and I wondered what the hell I was watching that was different then some of them...

After this tournament, I can clearly state that most everyone is on the same page when it comes to this kid and his future. I think I compared his role with this group to that of Jake Gardiner's in 2010 a bit before the games began and though I think McCabe put up better points, he certainly was that calming influence out there like Gardiner was...now lets hope he has the same pro career as well as Gardiner is looking to have a bright career ahead..

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Gibson and Trouba were your MVPs, had many others contribute the last three games obviously. Housley probably turned the team around before the medal round. I recall a few posters questioning his benching of players, but he proved he knew what he was doing. He started off rough with cutting a player after the tourney started but he did know that you didn't have to win all the games to win the gold. He will probably be coaching internationally for US for sometime.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
And congrats US on the Gold, showed that you wouldn't fold after two losses.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
lost in all this is poor Stefan Noesen. Imagine how this young man is feeling right now...I am sure very happy for him teammates, but man he has to be in the dumps to miss out on this.

his role would have been a lock for our top 6 and he would have played a significant role in our pk and pp units as well...I dont know if team chemistry would have been altered if he was here, and maybe we dont win the gold or even a medal if he was on this team (though I cant see how he would have not helped this group)....

not sure what forward would have been cut from this team if Noesen was here...Grimaldi?? Pietila?? Hartman??? Vesey?? all of them were huge for this squad at different times and it is hard to imagine how different an overall team and outtcome could have been with the addition of just one player...

It sucks for Stefan to have gotten robbed from this opportunity, but he will have a professional career and hopefully will get a chance in some upcoming WC tourneys to play for the US...hope he isnt taking this too hard.

Pre tournament i'd guess Vesey gets the boot. Post tournament I'd say it's obviously Lucia who essentially didn't see the ice for two games.

Anyway Noesen is a lesson to all American skaters not to go play in the CHL. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad