WJC: Roster Talk '13 — Canada 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
I have trouble understanding how SO MANY people do NOT have Hudon on their potential starting lineups... am I missing something here??

Good offensive player that can shut down the opposition's best talent, looked real good matching up against Yakupov as the subway series.

Wayyy too many players ahead of him.

AVSFAN92

Nov 23, 2012
I disagree, because they'd be playing for a full NHL season that just happens to have half as many games. If a player is going to help a team win they will have him on the roster.

Brad May was on sportnet the other day talking about the 48 game '94-'95 season and he said that if you ask players from that year they will attest to how tough it was, how it was a sprint to the stanley cup and how for them there is no asterix next to that year.

Ok, then if we take that viewpoint; a younger player wouldn't be able to keep up/ be effective enough to play more more games or in a shortened schedule bc of their lack of strength. Sorta like RNH last year, got hurt a few times bc he was thrusted into a 1st role and mins and his body couldn't hack it. Landeskog on the other hand had a more mature body and could be physical and be productive. It all depends on the player for each team and situation.

I def don't disagree with you, I think teams would still want to have a camp with all their options present, younger and older. Hopefully and more likely than not, the new CBA won't be figured out before the end of the tourney or even this year probably. So I think we don't have to worry about it affecting the WJC.

Can't wait to watch, my DVR will be working overtime! :)

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
This. I will not watch a minute of the season if it comes back before the WJC. That is the only thing that will make me angry. Take the whole season off or come back in January... I don't care. But don't come back before the WJC. I've waited this long, so don't ruin my favourite tournament too.

Are we twins/best friends? This is exactly how I feel. I think as far as a year by year basis, as much as I love the Habs/Jets, the WJC gets me so much more amped up every Christmas season. Maybe only the Olympics got me more hyped. It's like, these are the kids of the future and it's so cool to see them before they become famous superstars (if they do).

I was looking forward to the NHL this fall since I'm on a work-term for school so my evenings are ACTUALLY free most nights instead of homework for now but since they've already wasted almost that entire term, I'm going to be pissed if NHL comes back right before my favourite time of the year.

I'm already gonna be disappointed if RNH doesn't make it (either by injury or if the lockout ends) but don't rob me of Scheifele potentially shining and Strome/Huberdeau lighting it up. I'm even looking forward to seeing what Galchenyuk/Trouba are like on the US squad and I even enjoy seeing the Czechs/Swedes play. Only team I always want to lose is the Russians :laugh: but I feel like this is a healthy rivalry both sides share.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
No there isn't. I say it's about 80% that Hudon has a 2nd or 3rd line LW role on Team Canada. With lockout ending that goes up.

Wow thats a huge over estimation. For forwards here's what I think is the general consensus:

Locks:
Nugent-Hopkins
Huberdeau
Scheifele
Strome
Jenner

Close to Locks:
Rattie
Wilson
Ritchie
McNeil
Mackinnon

That's 10 of 13 forwards right there. I think Hudon will be in tough. In my estimation you're looking at 3-4 spots open with alot of capable talent to fill in. With his size I'm not too sure if Hudon will be able to handle a checking role, and among skilled players, you've got quite a bit more flash available.

I'd say hes 50/50 at best.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Ok, then if we take that viewpoint; a younger player wouldn't be able to keep up/ be effective enough to play more more games or in a shortened schedule bc of their lack of strength. Sorta like RNH last year, got hurt a few times bc he was thrusted into a 1st role and mins and his body couldn't hack it. Landeskog on the other hand had a more mature body and could be physical and be productive. It all depends on the player for each team and situation.

I def don't disagree with you, I think teams would still want to have a camp with all their options present, younger and older. Hopefully and more likely than not, the new CBA won't be figured out before the end of the tourney or even this year probably. So I think we don't have to worry about it affecting the WJC.

Can't wait to watch, my DVR will be working overtime! :)

Or you could look at it that a younger player would thrive in a shortened season because they wouldn't have to have to deal with the rigors of a full 82 game season. Nugent-Hopkins played the first half of the season without an injury anyways (which came from him tripping and falling into the boards awkwardly, not because his body is 'less mature').

Either way, looking at Bostons blue line. I really cant see Aaron Johnson or someone outplaying Hamilton for a roster spot.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Wow thats a huge over estimation. For forwards here's what I think is the general consensus:

Locks:
Nugent-Hopkins
Huberdeau
Scheifele
Strome
Jenner

Close to Locks:
Rattie
Wilson
Ritchie
McNeil
Mackinnon

That's 10 of 13 forwards right there. I think Hudon will be in tough. In my estimation you're looking at 3-4 spots open with alot of capable talent to fill in. With his size I'm not too sure if Hudon will be able to handle a checking role, and among skilled players, you've got quite a bit more flash available.

While I don't personally agree, Bob McKenzie has said on multiple occasions that he considers Hudon to be as good as a lock for TC. He was listed as one of his "locks" on TSN's preview show last night (alongside RNH, Huberdeau, Strome, Scheifele, Jenner, Wilson, and Danault).

I think it would be erroneous to consider MacKinnon a "near-lock", given Hockey Canada's notorious trepidation towards taking young players, regardless of their hype or potential.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Locks:
Nugent-Hopkins
Huberdeau
Scheifele
Strome
Jenner

Close to Locks:
Rattie
Wilson
Ritchie
McNeil
Mackinnon

Hudon is just as close to a lock as McNeil, Wilson or Ritchie

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005

Locks:
Nugent-Hopkins
Huberdeau
Scheifele
Strome
Jenner

Close to Locks:
Rattie
Wilson
Ritchie
McNeil
Mackinnon

Well, judging how well he's played for Hockey Canada in the past and considering he was pretty solid during the Subway Series...I'd say he has a pretty good shot. Head scout Kevin Prendergast seems to be a pretty big fan too ;)

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey...des-points.php

Quote:
Prendergast dit avoir déjà été conquis par Hudon, choix de cinquième ronde du Canadien en 2012.

«Il a été notre meilleur compteur au tournoi Ivan-Hlinka. Donc, ça n'a pas été une grande surprise pour moi de constater qu'il a été dominant contre les Russes en août. C'est l'un de mes joueurs favoris depuis un an. J'ai été surpris qu'il soit repêché seulement en cinquième ronde. La mode semble favoriser à nouveau les joueurs imposants, mais il joue comme s'il était un joueur costaud et on le verra dans la LNH.»

Quick translation : "He was our best scorer during the Ivan-Hlinka tournament, so it wasn't a big surprise for me to see that he was dominant against the Russians in August. He's been one of my favorite players during the last year. I was surprised that he was picked so low (in the 5th round). The new trend seems to be picking bigger guys again, but he plays bigger than his size and we'll see him in the NHL."

I'm not saying he's a lock to make it, but with everything mentionned, Hockey Canada seems to love him. He also has 35 points in 25 games and still leads his team in scoring even though he missed 6 games so far this year.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
While I don't personally agree, Bob McKenzie has said on multiple occasions that he considers Hudon to be as good as a lock for TC. He was listed as one of his "locks" on TSN's preview show last night (alongside RNH, Huberdeau, Strome, Scheifele, Jenner, Wilson, and Danault).

I think it would be erroneous to consider MacKinnon a "near-lock", given Hockey Canada's notorious trepidation towards taking young players, regardless of their hype or potential.

Maybe I'm underestimating Hudon... I haven't had a chance to watch Mackenzie's show yet... he's usually pretty right.

For Mackinnon, I think hes a near lock personally. I can't even remember the last time Canada didn't bring a draft-eligible player to the tourney. Going back: Murray, Couturier, Hall, Tavares/Ellis/Kane, Stamkos/Tavares, Gagner

If they're taking one guy, even to be the 13th forward... its gotta be Mackinnon. Drouin & Monahan don't stackup the same for me and Shinkaruk doesn't play C(which is usually big if you're the 13th forward) but is a '94, which may help his chances.

Definitely the team could have more than one draft eligible forward tho.

GuillaumeLetsundress*

could the RNH complications be something to do with the lockout potentially ending and not really with his shoulder as it seems to be?

Could they not want to get everyone excited and clear him and send him to play to then just pull him out because the season is starting?

Not sure if this makes sense because i still havent grasped the whole lockout thing, just a possibility i thought up

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
You just know the CBA is going to get a deal done now after all these pages drooling over how awesome this roster can be. :laugh:

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
could the RNH complications be something to do with the lockout potentially ending and not really with his shoulder as it seems to be?

Could they not want to get everyone excited and clear him and send him to play to then just pull him out because the season is starting?

Not sure if this makes sense because i still havent grasped the whole lockout thing, just a possibility i thought up

This would actually make sense. Would be terrible if they just said "yep he's going" then the lockout ends and all the WJC Canada fans are left :(

penguins2946*

It seems like the lockout is close to ending (fingers crossed), but I think the NHL teams would let the players play in the WJC before calling them up. There are 12 players on the recall list right now that are invited to Team Canada (Pouliot, Harrington, Strome, Hamilton, Huberdeau, Dumba, Reinhart, Rattie, Rielly, Scheifele, Wilson, and Jenner are the 12). Only Hamilton, Huberdeau and maybe Strome are NHL ready. The rest won't be recalled. Huberdeau will definitely be recalled, Hamilton won't (there is already a log-jam on the Bruins' back end) and Strome might. Still, he have the forwards to replace those 2. Mac will probably be the 1st line center then.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
How many players are locks or close to locks to make there NHL teams.

Does frankie corrado has a significant shot at making the team now with the NHL might be coming back.

Macman

May 15, 2004
I have trouble understanding how SO MANY people do NOT have Hudon on their potential starting lineups... am I missing something here??

Good offensive player that can shut down the opposition's best talent, looked real good matching up against Yakupov as the subway series.

Ditto. He was one of Canada's best forwards, if not the best, in the summer series.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary

Does frankie corrado has a significant shot at making the team now with the NHL might be coming back.

He has a significant shot as it is, if they lose a few guys to the NHL he's a shoe in. (Shoo in?)

Anchor Town*

Hamilton is the only D who might make the NHL so it'll bump Corrado's chances up slightly but since the general consensus is that he's around the 9th or 10th choice at this point, his chances aren't great

penguins2946*

I don't think so. None of the top-6 D will be recalled to the NHL, so that shouldn't be an issue.

thedavid

Jan 26, 2012
Vancouver
It seems like the lockout is close to ending (fingers crossed), but I think the NHL teams would let the players play in the WJC before calling them up. There are 12 players on the recall list right now that are invited to Team Canada (Pouliot, Harrington, Strome, Hamilton, Huberdeau, Dumba, Reinhart, Rattie, Rielly, Scheifele, Wilson, and Jenner are the 12). Only Hamilton, Huberdeau and maybe Strome are NHL ready. The rest won't be recalled. Huberdeau will definitely be recalled, Hamilton won't (there is already a log-jam on the Bruins' back end) and Strome might. Still, he have the forwards to replace those 2. Mac will probably be the 1st line center then.

Actually Strome, Reinhart and Dumba are NOT on the recall list, but Corrado is. Unless it was somehow updated. As seen here:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=9539

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
So that's potentially 14 guys out of the Canadian lineup. Great, a fourth consecutive year without a gold.

The NHL isn't gonna play games before Christmas so really only guys who make their NHL team won't be available. Now the question is would Hockey Canada take kids who didn't go to their training camp because they were at NHL camp? Even if they take everybody back who gets cut from the NHL I believe RNH, Huberdeau, Hamilton, Strome and Scheifele are NHLers. Top six becomes wide open and the defense has no elite two way guys without Hamilton and Murray.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad