WJC: Roster Talk '13 — Canada 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Canadians got to get over this philosophy/mindset of a team is built around a top 6 and a bottom 6. How about a Top 12 and the 4th line players who have skill but can adapt to slightly different roles, otherwise this Top 6 Bottom 6 setup is nothing more than a glorified club team..... and when Canada was sending club teams to this tournament prior to 1981 in the days before the national team was selected, how did we do?
Top 6 / bottom 6 is over the top but you definitely bring a couple guys for key roles. Patrice Bergeron and Brendon Morrow were awesome for Team Canada in the olympics as was Coutourier in the WJC's. You definetly don't bring an RNH to be the 4th C and kill PP's.

arsmaster*

How did you guys watch the stream for free? I'm on fasthockey and its saying I have 0 game credits. Says I have to buy it. Lol...

the stream live is free, if you want to watch it after you have to pay.

You'll notice next to all the games it says 'buy' and next to the live canada games it says "play".

tourlord*

McNeil didn't do anything yesterday but I have a feeling him or Lipon will make this team. HC loves bringing lots of WHL guys.

tourlord*

Yeah didn't Bob Mackenzie say first cuts are Wednesday? These predicted teams are good but too many OHLers. Every year I make a team with mostly OHL guys like you guys but HC always brings that extra WHL guy.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Top 6 / bottom 6 is over the top but you definitely bring a couple guys for key roles. Patrice Bergeron and Brendon Morrow were awesome for Team Canada in the olympics as was Coutourier in the WJC's. You definetly don't bring an RNH to be the 4th C and kill PP's.

Certainly not, RNH wouldn't be able to adapt to that role, I'm talking about other skilled guys who would be able to adapt to that role... RNH when he was 17 if I were picking the team would have been either the 2nd or 3rd line center. I have a different philosophy then the one HC employs. 3 scoring lines and plus a line that is equally skilled more or less, but are more polished in all 3 zones...The days of pounding teams into submission are over... over. And the sooner HC gets that through its thick scull, the better for us all.

PumpkinBombX

Jan 29, 2009
Certainly not, RNH wouldn't be able to adapt to that role, I'm talking about other skilled guys who would be able to adapt to that role... RNH when he was 17 if I were picking the team would have been either the 2nd or 3rd line center. I have a different philosophy then the one HC employs. 3 scoring lines and plus a line that is equally skilled more or less, but are more polished in all 3 zones...The days of pounding teams into submission are over... over. And the sooner HC gets that through its thick scull, the better for us all.

Not making team canada was the best thing to ever happen to Nuge. He went on an absolute 2nd half tear, playing like a man possessed.

Couturier's confidence got destroyed a lot playing with the 19 year olds. (I think it's since returned, but it definitely affected him in his draft year)

tourlord*

huberdeau - rnh - schiefele
shinkaruk - strome - monahan
hudon - jenner - ritchie
wilson - danault - camara
mackinnon

rielly - hamilton
harrington - ouellet
reinhart - corrado
murphy

subban
broissoit
paterson

odishabs

Aug 29, 2008
Huberdeau - Nugent Hopkins - Schiefele
Hudon - Strome - Rattie
MacKinnon - Jenner - Ritchie
Monahan - Danault - Wilson

ex. Shinkaruk

Hamilton - Rielly
Harrington - Ouellet
Rienhart - Murphy

ex. Corrado

Subban
Binnington

TonsofPuppies*

Mar 11, 2010
Toronto, ON
Hudon - Strome - Rattie
Monahan - Danault - Wilson

ex. Shinkaruk

Hamilton - Rielly
Harrington - Ouellet
Rienhart - Murphy

ex. Corrado

Subban
Binnington

I like this lineup. Just add an extra goalie. And move Hudon down to the 3rd line and MacKinnon up to the second.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
Canadians got to get over this philosophy/mindset of a team is built around a top 6 and a bottom 6. How about a Top 12 and the 4th line players who have skill but can adapt to slightly different roles, otherwise this Top 6 Bottom 6 setup is nothing more than a glorified club team..... and when Canada was sending club teams to this tournament prior to 1981 in the days before the national team was selected, how did we do?

I agree 100%. Have people forgotten what kind of lineup Canada last won the WJC's with? You had Tavares, Hodgson, Eberle, Boychuk, Esposito and DiDomenico on the first two lines. The bottom two lines had the likes of Tyler Ennis, Evander Kane and Jamie Benn, all primarily offensive players who adapted to playing a two-way role because they have the talent and the system to support them. Note that the team was selected by a former NHL coach in Pat Quinn. There were close calls in the tourney, but that team had the scoring depth to provide a constant threat to opponents and, ultimately, scored when it mattered.

I want to get back to that idea of three lines worth of scorers. Teams are not afraid of top-to-bottom physicality: Russia sure as hell doesn't give a crap about that. This is especially true on big ice.

tourlord*

Hudon - Strome - Rattie
Shinkaruk - Danault - Wilson
ex. Monahan

Hamilton - Rielly
Harrington - Ouellet
Rienhart - Murphy
ex. Corrado

Subban
Binnington