WJC: Roster Talk '13 — Canada 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
The WPG homer in me says I like Scheifele on the top line. He has a great wrist shot and is able to get into solid open spots in front of the net (which RNH beautifully took advantage for the second shot of the game).

The TC homer in me says I like Scheifele on the second line. Although all three are potent scorers, I wouldn't place any of Hub, RNH and Scheif as elite snipers or finishers (when it comes to their natural roles). I'd rather push someone up there and then make Scheifele be the second lines Huberdeau and Strome the RNH.

TL;DR version:
I would like more of a
Huberdeau - RNH - ???
??? - Strome - Scheifele

???=sniper/finisher

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
The WPG homer in me says I like Scheifele on the top line. He has a great wrist shot and is able to get into solid open spots in front of the net (which RNH beautifully took advantage for the second shot of the game).

The TC homer in me says I like Scheifele on the second line. Although all three are potent scorers, I wouldn't place any of Hub, RNH and Scheif as elite snipers or finishers (when it comes to their natural roles). I'd rather push someone up there and then make Scheifele be the second lines Huberdeau and Strome the RNH.

TL;DR version:
I would like more of a
Huberdeau - RNH - ???
??? - Strome - Scheifele

???=sniper/finisher

Huberdeau - RNH - Corrado
Corrado - Strome - Scheifele

?

Canucks fan having a little fun

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
I thought the Reinhart/Dumba tandem did enough to at least make them the favourites for the 3rd pairing for now. None of the other d-men vying for the final 3 spots really stood out to me.

As long a shot as it is, if Shinkaruk keeps playing like he did tonight in the next 2 games...I'm not sure you can leave him off can you? He easily outplayed guys like McNeill, Beauvillier, Lipon, Camara, Wilson, Catenacci, Graovac, Monahan, Drouin and then even some of the "shoe-ins" as well.

What's working against him is the fact that the top 6 is virtually set. If Spott is going with the traditional Top 6, Bottom 6 formula, he doesn't really fit the bottom 6 mold.

13th forward position is up for grabs though.

Shinkaruk did not outplay Graovac. If anything, he took advantage of Graovac's play. He also plays a completely different role from Wilson. If Wilson goes, it is as an energy/checking guy. I will give you that he outplayed the other guys on the list.

Right now, I'd be looking at:

Huberdeau - RNH - Hudon
Schiefele - Strome - Rattie
Wilson - Jenner - Ritchie
Graovac - Danault - MacKinnon
Shinkaruk

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
With all due respect to the other players I think MacKinnon is a guy we need. Too many Canadian teams have been sent to these tournaments with to many pluggers. With his speed and hockey sense and some good coaching he can be a very productive player in Ufa. This is a guy that can turn a game around in one play with his dynamic abilities. No reason he can't backcheck and forecheck. Give him a well defined role.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
With all due respect to the other players I think MacKinnon is a guy we need. Too many Canadian teams have been sent to these tournaments with to many pluggers. With his speed and hockey sense and some good coaching he can be a very productive player in Ufa. This is a guy that can turn a game around in one play with his dynamic abilities. No reason he can't backcheck and forecheck. Give him a well defined role.

I think it's very curious that Hockey Canada chose to put RNH and Mackinnon together as roommates. Who did Hockey Canada cut as a 17 year old highly touted prospect two years ago?

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
Nuge was good enough to play in the NHL the next season but not good enough to play Belarus?????

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Nuge was good enough to play in the NHL the next season but not good enough to play Belarus?????

Not only that, just a little over a year later of not being good enough to play in a tournament of his peers, he's named to the Men's world hockey championship. Typical hockey Canada double standard. Seriously, I don't know why Canadians buy the line of BS coming out of Pendergast and others like him at Hockey Canada.

wishywashy19

Dec 14, 2011

It doesn't look like this team is going to have to many pluggers.
However, i am sure Mackinnon especially is giving HC something to think about and maybe forcing the HC BRASS to forego this top 6 and bottom 6 nonsense for this year anyway.

Destroyer100

Ive been hearing a lot of stuff but in a video on tsn.ca Bob Mackensie said that a few cuts will be made today and the final team will be made thursday.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Why do so many people have Tom Wilson on this team? He didn't show anything yesterday and players like McNeill and Ritchiecan provide his physical element with more skill added. He is a 94 so he can come next year.

tourlord*

Huberdeau-RNH-Scheifele
Hudon-Strome-Rattie
Shinkaruk-Jenner-Graovac
Wilson-Danault-Ritchie
Mackinnon

Rielly-Hamilton
Harrington-Ouellet
Reinhart-Dumba
Murphy

Subban
Brossiot

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Why do so many people have Tom Wilson on this team? He didn't show anything yesterday and players like McNeill and Ritchiecan provide his physical element with more skill added. He is a 94 so he can come next year.

I agree with you on Tom Wilson, except I wouldn't have him anywhere near any edition of Team Canada at any year... all he is is size and very limited skill, maybe he'll be a decent NHLer someday, but an international player... unlikely.

tourlord*

How did you guys watch the stream for free? I'm on fasthockey and its saying I have 0 game credits. Says I have to buy it. Lol...

Destroyer100

How did you guys watch the stream for free? I'm on fasthockey and its saying I have 0 game credits. Says I have to buy it. Lol...

For me its free. Just on the right side of screen it should say canada or have the logo. Click on that it will say canada vs the golden bears 3:30 today or 3:00 cant remember and beside it has an option to click play click that and it come right up.

Destroyer100

I hope Boone Jenner makes this team. Being a big Oshawa General fan and big fan of his i hope he steps it up. i know he was strong on the puck and played well defensively but id like to see more out of him to secure a spot on the team.

tourlord*

If you watch the game today at 3:30 live it was will free but games that you missed and have to go back and watch cost money( On Demand).

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006

Ritchie is on every version of this team. McNeill didn't play physical, turned the puck over, played tentative and really didn't show anything.

The reason people like Tom Wilson is because he is a crash and bang player, who will make something happen when he's on the ice.

tourlord*

Can't wait for todays game! :hyper: I wasn't able to watch yesterdays scrimmage unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:

StormSurge9

Aug 9, 2009
Guelph, ONT
I would love to see any team try to match the physicality of a Ritche - Jenner - Wilson line.

I really hope Murphy doesn't make it, he's a turnover machine.

You would have to think as the only 94' goalie and a solid performance last night that Paterson will likely make this team, even if it's only as the third goalie.

tourlord*

Huberdeau - RNH - Scheifele
Hudon - Strome - Rattie
Wilson - Jenner - Ritchie
Shinkaruk - Danault - Monahan
Mackinnon

Rielly - Hamilton
Harrington - Ouellet
Reinhart - Corrado
Murphy

Subban
Brossoit

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I hope Boone Jenner makes this team. Being a big Oshawa General fan and big fan of his i hope he steps it up. i know he was strong on the puck and played well defensively but id like to see more out of him to secure a spot on the team.

Boone Jenner is the checking line Centre. There's no chance in hell that he's not on the team in that role.

He was their best all around player last year imo... may even be able to take on more of a scoring role this year. But he'll be the guy up against the likes up Galchenyuk, Grigo, Faksa, Forsberg etc.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Not only that, just a little over a year later of not being good enough to play in a tournament of his peers, he's named to the Men's world hockey championship. Typical hockey Canada double standard. Seriously, I don't know why Canadians buy the line of BS coming out of Pendergast and others like him at Hockey Canada.
RNH didn't make that team cause he's the kind of guy that can only play top 6. Coutourier made the team over him cause he played bottom 6 minutes. He still probably should've made the team but I don't think it was as outrageous as you're making it out to be.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
RNH didn't make that team cause he's the kind of guy that can only play top 6. Coutourier made the team over him cause he played bottom 6 minutes. He still probably should've made the team but I don't think it was as outrageous as you're making it out to be.

Canadians got to get over this philosophy/mindset of a team is built around a top 6 and a bottom 6. How about a Top 12 and the 4th line players who have skill but can adapt to slightly different roles, otherwise this Top 6 Bottom 6 setup is nothing more than a glorified club team..... and when Canada was sending club teams to this tournament prior to 1981 in the days before the national team was selected, how did we do?

tourlord*

Boone Jenner is the checking line Centre. There's no chance in hell that he's not on the team in that role.

He was their best all around player last year imo... may even be able to take on more of a scoring role this year. But he'll be the guy up against the likes up Galchenyuk, Grigo, Faksa, Forsberg etc.
:badidea: I'm not sure if the coaching staff took Jenner aside last tournament and told him to hit everything in site but he was a totally different player in the WJC last year than I had every seen him. Last year Jenner turned into a goon and ran everything in site. He even managed to get himself suspended for our LAST game... He was throwing hits all over the place at the WJC, I think he threw two hits all season last year in Oshawa. I believe Jenner should be on the third line and put Danault on the checking line with Wilson and Ritchie and let Jenner play his game with some skilled forwards. Jenner is a first guy on the puck kinda player, he doesn't need to be running guys into the boards like a goon and taking penalties like last year. Be the first guy in the corner on the puck and let Danault and them bang away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->