WC: Roster Talk '11 – Germany

ts11

Apr 29, 2005
Germany
No, we don't, but the problem is, that in the past players from the best teams in the DEL often disappointed at the WC, because their highlight of the season were the DEL finals. And with the pressure gone and the elation and celebration afterwards they were not able to regain their focus and compete at top level again.
Some players were able to do it buth others weren't. So I guess Krupp will be very cautious who he picks.

This isnt a problem of being in the cup finals, this is simply a personal mater. It's just stupid media BS by Krupp, guys like Hackert and Greilinger never played their best hockey for the national team, despite being out of the playoffs until or before the semis (well, most of times at least), whereas for example Felski and Rankel delivered and often belonged to the hardest working guys despite being on the most successfull team of the last decade.

Maybe Krupp is thinking about some of his "special" roster decisions again and is searching for a good excuse, but I don't buy it. I think we will at least see Rankel and Hospelt and wouldn't discount the chances of guys like Braun or Baxmann either.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
This isnt a problem of being in the cup finals, this is simply a personal mater. It's just stupid media BS by Krupp, guys like Hackert and Greilinger never played their best hockey for the national team, despite being out of the playoffs until or before the semis (well, most of times at least), whereas for example Felski and Rankel delivered and often belonged to the hardest working guys despite being on the most successfull team of the last decade.

Maybe Krupp is thinking about some of his "special" roster decisions again and is searching for a good excuse, but I don't buy it. I think we will at least see Rankel and Hospelt and wouldn't discount the chances of guys like Braun or Baxmann either.

Maybe Rankel won't be an issue anyways. He was just hurt in Game 1 of the finals. It looked pretty bad, but I hope his knee is not damaged too badly.
That was some nasty business.

EDIT: Rankel just returned to the bench. Maybe he got lucky. :fingers crossed:

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Luckily Rankel was not injured and he keeps scoring.
I like Krupp and think he has done well for Germany in his capacity as "Bundestrainer", but if leaves Rankel off the roster for Slovakia I#m gonna be furious.

Since I like the Eisbären and Rankel has been my favourite player in the DEL for some time now, I may not be the most objective guy here, but i think it would be a crime if he wasn't gonna make the team.

Hopefully the finals will end tomorrow in Wolfsburg so that all players can rest up and regain their focus.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I could not find a preliminary roster, but I think the following players still have a chance to make it:

Goalies:
Dennis Endras (Augsburg)
Dimitri Pätzold (Straubing)
Rob Zepp (Berlin)
Jochen Reimer (Wolfsburg)

Defenders:
Tobias Draxinger (Straubing)
Florian Kettemer (Augsburg)
Benedikt Kohl (Augsburg)
Kevin Lavallee (München)
Justin Krueger (Bern)
Robert Dietrich (Mannheim)
Nikolai Goc (Mannheim)
Denis Reul (Mannheim)
Korbinian Holzer (Toronto)
Christopher Fischer (Wolfsburg)
Constantin Braun (Berlin)
Frank Hördler (Berlin)

Forwards:
Alexander Barta (Hamburg)
Jerome Flaake (Hamburg)
Marcus Kink (Mannheim)
Manuel Klinge (Mannheim)
Frank Mauer (Mannheim)
John Tripp (Köln)
Christoph Ullmann (Köln)
Philip Gogulla (Köln)
Felix Schütz (Ingolstadt)
Thomas Greilinger (Ingolstadt)
Michael Wolf (Iserlohn)
Daniel Pietta (Krefeld)
Marcel Müller (Toronto)
Patrick Reimer (Düsseldorf)
Daniel Kreutzer (Düsseldorf)
Kai Hospelt (Wolfsburg)
Andre Rankel (Berlin)

In bold are the 23 players I would pick for the final roster. I'll admit that there is a lot of bias in my picks, though it is more bias against certain players I left off, than a bias in favor of certain players I picked. ;)

I am not sure what the situation about Greiss is and if they will leave any spots open for NHL players, although I doubt it.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Did you just happen to guess that list or did you find it somewhere, because that's exactly the roster for the next phase of training camp as listed by the DEB ;)

With all players from Berlin and Wolfsburg obviously only being on stand-by right now.

Your choices don't seem that unlikely, but I think Krupp will go with at least two or three changes to that. Zepp instead of Reimer, Wolf and Tripp instead of Flaake/Mauer/Pietta/Kink.

Wolf will be there, guaranteed. He's more likely to be captain than not being on the final roster.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Did you just happen to guess that list or did you find it somewhere, because that's exactly the roster for the next phase of training camp as listed by the DEB ;)

With all players from Berlin and Wolfsburg obviously only being on stand-by right now.

Your choices don't seem that unlikely, but I think Krupp will go with at least two or three changes to that. Zepp instead of Reimer, Wolf and Tripp instead of Flaake/Mauer/Pietta/Kink.

Wolf will be there, guaranteed. He's more likely to be captain than not being on the final roster.

I guessed some of it. I knew that Gawlik was cut and that Kreutzer and Reimer were added and also who is considered from Berlin and Wolfsburg. I also knew that there were still 33 players including the ones from the finalists.
Other than that I had the roster from the games against Austria and just tried to remember who was added from the playoff teams and then picked the most likely candidates from the Austria roster until I had 33 players. In the end it wasn't that hard, because there aren't many surprises on the preliminary roster. ;)

I know Wolf is going to be on the team, but he is one of the players I am kind of biased against. For my team it was between him, Gogulla and Patrick Reimer for the final spot, but I fully expect Krupp to have both Gogulla and Wolf on the final roster.
On defense I was also a little torn between Kettemer, Hördler and Reul. But whoever will be playing for Germany in the end I am glad we don't have to deal with Holland, Schmidt, etc. anymore.

I am once again disappointed that Gawlik won't be on the team, because I think he deserves it. But well, I guess Krupp does know better. I mean he won the Stanley Cup and was one of the best German players in recent history, if not ever. Me on the other hand, I'd be happy not to fall down if I ever put on skates and stepped on the ice. ;)

mexicohockey

Sep 18, 2007
DF
I am not sure what the situation about Greiss is and if they will leave any spots open for NHL players, although I doubt it.

Thomas Greiss has been recalled by the Sharks after Brynas got eliminated from the SEL playoffs. He serves as the 3rd string/training goaltender right now and is technically an active NHL Player right now.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Great to see Flaake still going. Hopefully he makes the team and plays well. I'd love to see him get a contract from the Leafs once his DEL contract is up.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Several cuts have been made after the players from Berlin and Wolfsburg have arrived. Rankel, Hospelt, Fischer, Hördler, Braun and Reimer have been added, while Zepp wasn't.

Gone are Kettemer, Kohl and Draxinger on defense and Flaake, Klinge and Pietta on offense.

So now it looks like this:

Goalies:
Dennis Endras (Augsburg)

Defenders:
Kevin Lavallee (München)
Justin Krueger (Bern)
Nikolai Goc (Mannheim)
Denis Reul (Mannheim)
Frank Hördler (Berlin)

Forwards:
Marcus Kink (Mannheim)
Frank Mauer (Mannheim)
John Tripp (Köln)
Christoph Ullmann (Köln)
Philip Gogulla (Köln)
Michael Wolf (Iserlohn)
Marcel Müller (Toronto)
Kai Hospelt (Wolfsburg)
Andre Rankel (Berlin)

That's 26 players. 23 are allowed at the start of the tournament, with the possibility of adding two after the preliminary round. So unless one of our NHL-players comes in, one player has to be cut completely, while two have to be cut for at least the first part of the tournament.

JVR

HeadHitsAreNotIllega
Jul 17, 2002
Visit site
I have to say, I didn't follow the DEL at all except for 10 or so Scorpions games this season so I have no idea if this is a good roster or not but I enjoy your thoughts on this Maverick. :)

Really looking forward to the tournament and curious to see Holzer and Müller again.

Grabovski

Aug 12, 2009
Hamilton, Ontario
If Nashville, Boston, Vancouver, Buffalo, and Washington get eliminated then Germany will be so lucky because Sturm, Erhroff, Goc, Siedenberg, Hecht will all be available lol!

modano

Mar 29, 2010
Sturm and Hecht won't play for the NT in near future. They both said that they want to take time off the NT. Marcel Goc is not available because of his injury.

Several cuts have been made after the players from Berlin and Wolfsburg have arrived. Rankel, Hospelt, Fischer, Hördler, Braun and Reimer have been added, while Zepp wasn't.

Gone are Kettemer, Kohl and Draxinger on defense and Flaake, Klinge and Pietta on offense.

So now it looks like this:

Goalies:
Dennis Endras (Augsburg)

Defenders:
Kevin Lavallee (München)
Justin Krueger (Bern)
Nikolai Goc (Mannheim)
Denis Reul (Mannheim)
Frank Hördler (Berlin)

Forwards:
Marcus Kink (Mannheim)
Frank Mauer (Mannheim)
John Tripp (Köln)
Christoph Ullmann (Köln)
Philip Gogulla (Köln)
Michael Wolf (Iserlohn)
Marcel Müller (Toronto)
Kai Hospelt (Wolfsburg)
Andre Rankel (Berlin)

That's 26 players. 23 are allowed at the start of the tournament, with the possibility of adding two after the preliminary round. So unless one of our NHL-players comes in, one player has to be cut completely, while two have to be cut for at least the first part of the tournament.

What a joke. Lavallee and Reul are still in. I thought Krupp learned his lesson. After he signed Lavallee to the Haie for the next season he'll likely be in the final team.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I don't think Reul still being there is a joke. He has developed quite nicely into a good defenseman, although I would picked taken guys like Kohl and Kettemer over him.
However I'm surprised about Lavallee. I just hope the reason he is still there is not, as Peter John Lee suspected, that Krupp wants to use this to test and develop a player who is going to play for im next season.

The one defenseman that I feel should be here is Jens Baxmann. I may not be totally objective, since Berlin is my favourite DEL team, but I think he is better than half of the defensemen still on the roster.

I am a little disappointed that Pietta and Flaake were cut and I am still very upset that Gawlik had been cut before. But the forwards still look pretty good to me. Eventhough I don't like Wolf and Gogulla too much, they both might contribute.
The only real problem I have is Greilinger who has played pretty well in the DEL the last few years but so far has delivered nothing at international level. I don't think we have a spot to spare for a guy that is just floating around. If he brings his DEL game, then good, if not he's just a waste of space on this roster.

My candidates for the final cuts:
Defense: Lavallee, Reul, Fischer (1 of them has to go)
Forwards:Kink, Schütz, Greilinger, Reimer (2 of them have to go)

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
My candidates for the final cuts:
Defense: Lavallee, Reul, Fischer (1 of them has to go)
Forwards:Kink, Schütz, Greilinger, Reimer (2 of them have to go)

schütz is a lock. he's one of the few natural centers. and i think whenever he played for germany he was among the best if not the best.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
schütz is a lock. he's one of the few natural centers. and i think whenever he played for germany he was among the best if not the best.

You are right of course, I didn't even check how many centers and wingers there were left. Thanks for pointing it out.

modano

Mar 29, 2010
Sulzer got hurt in March. I don't know if he's still injured but he is unrestricted free agent anyway.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Jochen Hecht will not participate in the World Cup 2011. He also declared his resignation from the national team.

source: http://www.spox.com/de/sport/eishockey/1104/News/nationalmannschaft-deutschland-jochen-hecht-steht-nicht-zur-verfuegung.html

germany always has bad luck with nhl players. goc (injured), seidenberg, ehrhoff & sturm are all still in the playoffs - an the only one, who is out, retires :shakehead

bad luck? hecht retiring from national team is great news. :handclap:

i'm so sick of his awful performances for national team that i'm glad he will be never ever again even close to the team.
and it's looks like gogulla will make the team, so at least one floater can play the role of hecht. :sarcasm:

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Jochen Hecht will not participate in the World Cup 2011. He also declared his resignation from the national team.

source: http://www.spox.com/de/sport/eishockey/1104/News/nationalmannschaft-deutschland-jochen-hecht-steht-nicht-zur-verfuegung.html

germany always has bad luck with nhl players. goc (injured), seidenberg, ehrhoff & sturm are all still in the playoffs - an the only one, who is out, retires :shakehead

And Sulzer is injured...

You have Holzer and Mueller though, who are half NHLers at least. Although they probably won't make much of a differance.

Do you know if Schutz and Gogulla are planning to returning to the NHL/AHL?

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
This is weird. You are allowed do have 3 goalies and 20 players on the roster, yet Krupp cuts the roster down to 2 goalies and 19 players.

Reimer, Fischer, Reul, Mauer and Kink didn't make it.

I mean, it does allow Krupp to react after the first or second game, instead of having to wait until the next round, but it doesn't really make sense. You are going into the first games one man short. Why leave the spot open so you can react, when you also could react if the spot is filled?

Having 13F and 7D would work out just the same in case of an injury. You wouldn't have the choice between the replacement players, but on the positive side you would have full lines in the game, instead of having a shortened bench.

Maverick41

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
This is weird. You are allowed do have 3 goalies and 20 players on the roster, yet Krupp cuts the roster down to 2 goalies and 19 players.

Reimer, Fischer, Reul, Mauer and Kink didn't make it.

I mean, it does allow Krupp to react after the first or second game, instead of having to wait until the next round, but it doesn't really make sense. You are going into the first games one man short. Why leave the spot open so you can react, when you also could react if the spot is filled?

Having 13F and 7D would work out just the same in case of an injury. You wouldn't have the choice between the replacement players, but on the positive side you would have full lines in the game, instead of having a shortened bench.

You're right it is weird, because I really see nobody out there he could be waiting for. I mean neither Seidenberg nor Ehrhoff should be available for some time, and I don't see Krupp bringing in Kühnhackl.
Could he be waiting for Greiss or is he hoping Sulzer will recover in time?

I don't get it. Maybe we will learn more in the next few days.
I hope for the best, but I am not sold on this team. If only guys like Gogulla and Greilinger would step it up. But I won't get my hopes up.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I don't know if this is relevant, but Justin Kreuger signed with Carolina and will play in North America next season. I just noticed he's still listed with Bern here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad