WC: Roster Talk '11 – Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
It'll be interesting to see what they do for the game against Russia. Bernier got player of the game for Canada today against a team that we very well could be facing in the finals.

Thoughts? (I personally don't think it makes a difference who we use.)

I haven't watched every game in entirety but from what I've seen, I don't think it will make much difference either in terms of which goaltender to use either. Both goalies have had moments of struggle, but they've also had moments where they bailed their team out of tough situations. It's easy to pin it on the goaltender but if your goaltender has to face 3 or 4 breakaways in a game, you start to stack the odds against your goaltender as it seems inevitable that given the opposition a lot of great scoring opportunities will eventually end up in the back of your own net.

With Bernier getting player of the game, it should be a huge confidence boost for him that could definitely work in his favour if they start him against Russia. On the flip side, one of Reimer's best attributes is his competitiveness which allows him to bounce back from not so great games. I'd imagine he'd bring his A game as well if given the opportunity to start against Russia. I'm just happy with win. Bring on Russia!

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Why is Tavares getting less than 13 minutes of ice per game? The kid is the leading scorer in the entire tournament. Seems like he is getting snubbed. I have not watched any of the WC so I am just really curious as to why he is getting such little ice time.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Why is Tavares getting less than 13 minutes of ice per game? The kid is the leading scorer in the entire tournament. Seems like he is getting snubbed. I have not watched any of the WC so I am just really curious as to why he is getting such little ice time.

Only thing I can think of is that Hitchcock wants to rely on veterans more than the youngsters.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Only thing I can think of is that Hitchcock wants to rely on veterans more than the youngsters.

If that is true, than that is terrible coaching IMO. He is producing at a very good rate, and if given a couple more minutes a game he could have a big lead in the points category. Tavares is just as skilled as any forward for team Canada yet he does not even receive 13 minutes a game. He even has the second best +/- on the team. Just seems like he is getting snubbed, he has been to the WC before and last year he led the tournament in goals scored.

http://stats.iihf.com/Hydra/261/IHM2610CAN_83_6_0.pdf

Braggadocio

Mar 18, 2010
Ottawa
leafheaded.blogspot.com

From TSN:

With plenty of youngsters on the roster, coach Ken Hitchcock plans to rely heavily on ... his more veteran players.

"This is a men's tournament," said Hitchcock. "If you expect kids to go and win games for you, (it's not good). We've had great play by our kids but at the end of the day, as you get further along, it's men.

"We needed some of our veteran players to have better offensive output and to put those three guys together worked well today."

It's Hitchcock. Simple as that.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range

Tavares lead the tournament in goals last year as well. He should be fresh for the elimination games. Hopefully he doesn't rot on the bench. Tavares is our most dangerous weapon. I guess Hitch doesn't trust him defensively enough to PK or start a shift in our own zone.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Defensively Tavares hasn't been the greatest. I think that probably has to do with it. He's great offensively, although I think he's been more opportunistic (put out against the other teams weakest lines) this tournament, he's incredibly gifted. I just don't think he has the all-around game that makes Hitchcock want to use him a lot. With that said it doesn't make it right. Tavares and Skinner should definitely be getting more time.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007

Defensively his line isn't that great. Also he doesn't get any PK time to bump up his playing time.

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006
Hitchcock is just an idiot at this point in his career. Eberle is getting less than ten minutes a game as well, and he scoring has slowed even though he is still second in goals for Canada. He creates more offense than almost anyone on the team except maybe Tavares and was credited with several great defensive plays earlier in the tourney.

If I were Tavares or Eberle I would be pretty pissed with the way Hitchcock refers to them as children.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Tavares lead the tournament in goals last year as well. He should be fresh for the elimination games. Hopefully he doesn't rot on the bench. Tavares is our most dangerous weapon. I guess Hitch doesn't trust him defensively enough to PK or start a shift in our own zone.

Spezza and Nash should be on PK before Tavares but i dont think they are he is letting the role players do that like Zajac and Ladd.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Wow are people watching these games or just assuming Tavares has been poor defensively? He's been fine, saying he has been poor is ridiculous.

He's been solid all over the ice, creating tons of turnovers and winning the vast majority of his puck battles. He's also leading the tournament in +/- last time I checked.

You can make a case that Hitchcock relies more on veterans but that doesn't automatically mean Tavares has been poor without the puck. Far from it.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
Wow are people watching these games or just assuming Tavares has been poor defensively? He's been fine, saying he has been poor is ridiculous.

He's been solid all over the ice, creating tons of turnovers and winning the vast majority of his puck battles. He's also leading the tournament in +/- last time I checked.

You can make a case that Hitchcock relies more on veterans but that doesn't automatically mean Tavares has been poor without the puck. Far from it.

He is not.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
Things won't improve until we can get more players to participate in the tournament. Not sure how to make that happen though.

The players are not the problem, it seems like Hitchcock was the problem. How do you play your best offensive weapon who has been playing great for the duration of the WC for less than 13 minutes a game? It would be good for Canada to have a legitimate star in the net, but they still had as much talent as any country this year.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Overall the team was very good, a very players played very very badly, but I think the team looked great.

Disappointing finish, but you can't win em every year.

I don't know whats going on with poor Brent Burns, but he couldn't do anything right out there, I almost felt bad for the guy. Has he been this bad all year in Minny?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad