Roster Speculation part XXIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
based on what's been going on during preseason, opening night lines kind of look like this to me:

X-ROR-Okposo
Kane-Eichel-Reinhart
Foligno-Larsson-Gionta
Y-Z-Moulson

X could be Ennis or Girgensons
Y could be Des, Ennis or Girgensons
Z could be Grant or Girgensons

Doing this might be VERY intriguing, IMO:

Girgensons-ROR-Okposo
Kane-Eichel-Reinhart
Foligno-Larsson-Gionta
Ennis-Grant-Moulson

That 4th line could log a bunch of O-zone starts and might be quite effective.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
based on what's been going on during preseason, opening night lines kind of look like this to me:

X-ROR-Okposo
Kane-Eichel-Reinhart
Foligno-Larsson-Gionta
Y-Z-Moulson

Girgensons-ROR-Okposo
Kane-Eichel-Reinhart
Foligno-Larsson-Gionta
Ennis-Grant-Moulson

I like your letter system and I think one thing I don't see mentioned a lot is how players move up and down the lineup based on how they're playing. Ennis in a slump and Zemgus is playing well? Swap them out. Grant is being consistent? Try him on the first for a game or two. These guys shouldn't be gifted a spot on any line.

SabresSociety

Jan 3, 2014

X-ROR-Okposo
Kane-Eichel-Reinhart
Foligno-Larsson-Gionta
Y-Z-Moulson

Girgensons-ROR-Okposo
Kane-Eichel-Reinhart
Foligno-Larsson-Gionta
Ennis-Grant-Moulson

I actually really like that second set of lineups, if Moulson can play any better than last year, that forward core could lead us to the playoffs

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
So we must be keeping one of Fasching/Catenacci/Nylander then right? Unless we are rolling with 8 D which never really makes sense to me unless you dress 7.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I think that's also kind of dumb when we have the cap space, though having an affiliate so close does allow for it I suppose...

The cap is calculated on a daily basis... so by leaving a forward in Rochester instead of carrying that 23rd roster spot, they are effectively banking cap space that can be used later in the year (acquisitions).

Browne88

Oct 20, 2011
The cap is calculated on a daily basis... so by leaving a forward in Rochester instead of carrying that 23rd roster spot, they are effectively banking cap space that can be used later in the year (acquisitions).

How does this work exactly (banking cap space)? I would have thought the cap hits and cap space remains constant throughout the year?

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
How does this work exactly (banking cap space)? I would have thought the cap hits and cap space remains constant throughout the year?

Not really. If you think about it, if you aquire a guy who had a 4 million contract on deadline day you don't pay him 4 million against the cap, the salaries come down. Day by day or game by game. It's how Chicago can aquire the vermettes and timmonens at the deadline and still be compliant.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio

I don't know if you actually bank unused cap space, though I'm not 100% certain on that.

I think its just that cap space is prorated. So if you have 1 million nominally in cap space and you want to acquire a player with 50days left in the season, you could add a player (or players) with a cap hit up to 1 / 50 * 186 = 3.72mil (186 days in a season). That is because you're only paying the player with a 3.72mil cap hit for the remaining 50days, so 3.72/186 = daily rate, times 50 days = total cost to team aka player cap hit.

I don't think you get credit for unused cap space earlier in the season though I could be wrong there. Paging Dotcomm... lol

Browne88

Oct 20, 2011
I don't know if you actually bank unused cap space, though I'm not 100% certain on that.

I think its just that cap space is prorated. So if you have 1 million nominally in cap space and you want to acquire a player with 50days left in the season, you could add a player (or players) with a cap hit up to 1 / 50 * 186 = 3.72mil (186 days in a season). That is because you're only paying the player with a 3.72mil cap hit for the remaining 50days, so 3.72/186 = daily rate, times 50 days = total cost to team aka player cap hit.

I don't think you get credit for unused cap space earlier in the season though I could be wrong there. Paging Dotcomm... lol

Ahh makes sense.

Thanks for the explanation I'm not well versed in how the cap is calculated.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007

Teams can effectively "bank" cap space, but it is related to how salaries are prorated. Let's say that a team's active roster has a total cap hit of $68M for the first half of the season (that's $5M below this season's cap). So, in all at the end of that first half of the season, they'd have paid out $34M. They could then change the roster so that over the second half of the season, their total cap hit is $78M (over a full season), because they'd be paying out $39M of that over that second half, meaning the total expenditures against the cap would still be $73M and this compliant.

Now, teams cannot project to be over the cap, so it's still related to salary proration. You couldn't put together a roster that projects to be over the cap at the start of the season even if you did cut costs later in the season. Also note that teams using LTIR cannot "bank" cap space because LTIR does not get rid of cap hits, but allows a team to exceed the upper limit.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Teams can effectively "bank" cap space, but it is related to how salaries are prorated. Let's say that a team's active roster has a total cap hit of $68M for the first half of the season (that's $5M below this season's cap). So, in all at the end of that first half of the season, they'd have paid out $34M. They could then change the roster so that over the second half of the season, their total cap hit is $78M (over a full season), because they'd be paying out $39M of that over that second half, meaning the total expenditures against the cap would still be $73M and this compliant.

Now, teams cannot project to be over the cap, so it's still related to salary proration. You couldn't put together a roster that projects to be over the cap at the start of the season even if you did cut costs later in the season. Also note that teams using LTIR cannot "bank" cap space because LTIR does not get rid of cap hits, but allows a team to exceed the upper limit.

Now explained, and with Rochester so close, GMTM should go 13/7/2 and save space. Even if it's just to pay bonuses.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
Yeah that makes sense. I was sitting here thinking wait I can't just drop a 2mil player half way through the season to create 2mil in space and then pick up a 4mil player because I'm only paying him half of that the rest of the season. My error was not realizing that dropping the 2mil player half way through the season didn't create 2mil in space, it created 1mil in space because 1mil in cap hits had already been accumulated by the player. And with 1mil in space and half a season to go, that gives room to pick up, not surprisingly, a 2mil player. You can only pick up the 4mil player if you had the 2mil in space all along, which is effectively banking.

To me, its confusing because I guess I'm just so conditioned to put players in list, add up their cap hits, compare to cap, difference is cap space... but I guess that really only works in the off season and from day 1 of the season until you start moving players around/callups/trades/etc. After that the only way to truly know the cap space is to do the prorate calculations for every player. Thankfully I can just let sites like capfriendly do that: https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/sabres/cap-tracker

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
With the low salaries of the players in play for forward spots 13 and 14. I don't see much "banking" taking place if they go with 13.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
We know MUrray prefers 8 defenseman, and most people are in favor of prospects getting as much playing time as possible, but does anyone see a chance they keep Guhle up and roll with 8 defensemen?

Kulikov-Ristolainen
McCabe-Bogosian
Gorges-Nelson
Guhle-Franson

Maybe it allows them to keep Gorges rested and they each play roughly 40games?

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
We know MUrray prefers 8 defenseman, and most people are in favor of prospects getting as much playing time as possible, but does anyone see a chance they keep Guhle up and roll with 8 defensemen?

Kulikov-Ristolainen
McCabe-Bogosian
Gorges-Nelson
Guhle-Franson

Maybe it allows them to keep Gorges rested and they each play roughly 40games?

Doesn't make any sense to have Guhle up as an extra. Let him get some actual playing time and experience in Rochester.

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
He can't go to Rochester. It's here or juniors.

And if he's sent to juniors, can he be recalled later during the season? I recall some fuzz about that in Zadorov's case, that if he was sent to juniors he couldn't be recalled. But I also believe that's exactly what we did with Grigorenko - sent him to juniors and then called him back. So which is it? :)

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
He could get the 9 game look and they'll reasses after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad