Roster Speculation part XXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Thread on the main board asking which player on your team it could least afford to lose. So I immediately thought of Eichel, ROR and Risto - would all hurt a lot but then it dawned on me, it's Lehner. And that is scary since he's not played in any pro season the number of games a #1 goaltender plays in the NHL. The new backup Nilsson had a terrible .901 save percentage last year.

If Lehner goes down I hope Ullmark can come up and play the way he did last season, he wasn't great but he didn't cost us many games/points.

Depends on what they mean by "least afford to lose".

If they are talking about an injury, then yes I can see your point. But if they are talking about losing a player to free agency or trade (etc), then it would have to be Eichel or Risto.
Lehner would be much easier to replace via trade or free agency. You lose Eichel you are never replacing him. Not unless you tank for a 1st overall and actually win the draft lottery (or it happens in another McEichel year, where the 2nd overall pick gets you a super star prospect).

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Vesey-related question. I get he's cheap and that's why he's wanted.

But what do people think a 22-year old Girgensons would do in the NCAA? Different player but I'd bet he would dominate in every way. Lots of points, great plus minus and bang the crap out of anything in his way.

It's summer so Vesey mania is easy to understand. Pride wounded because we've lost a third. But there's no way I'd trade Vesey for Girgs based on talent (better contract, I know).

I don't get your point. Are you saying you don't care about Vesey because we have another player just as good?

signalIInoise

killed by signal 2
Feb 25, 2005
Latveria
I don't get your point. Are you saying you don't care about Vesey because we have another player just as good?

I'm reading it as a perspective-check: The Vesey hype-train has been barrelling along full-tilt, but in reality what could be expected of him? Is Girgs a decent comparable, impact-wise? Where does he slot, league-wide, against other top-6 forwards? Presumably less of an impact-player than Okposo, for instance -- but perhaps in-line with the other top-6-compatible wingers in Buffalo.

Same goes for Bakes' tweet -- With the hype going so hard, he's bound to underperform to (unreasonable) expectations.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007

I'm going to guess that Chris is joking around.

Well, if you read his actual followup to the tweet about Vesey and Hayes:

as well as his response if someone asked him if that Hayes/Vesey tweet was real, then no it wasn't joking around.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Well, if you read his actual followup to the tweet about Vesey and Hayes:

as well as his response if someone asked him if that Hayes/Vesey tweet was real, then no it wasn't joking around.

Yeah, he got serious for a minute and it threw me off.

:laugh:

This makes more sense.

I doubt he's buying a place with his buddy today if there wasn't serious, and super easy to prove, tampering.

Although, I think it's all BS since the meetings are in Boston and not NYC.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
He told Detroit it is too far from home but he is meeting with Chicago. Sounds like he is just playing games.

I don't really see how this is inconsistent. If he's weighing multiple different factors, then why would it matter that Chicago is farther than Detroit. If he views Chicago as a Stanley Cup contender, and Detroit as not-a-contender, then he might be willing to be in a less ideal location to have a better shot at a cup.

In other words, if he sees Chicago and Detroit as different types of teams, he may hold them to different standards based on other factors, such as location. This isn't inconsistent or "playing games". It's weighing factors differently based on the actual circumstances.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
I don't really see how this is inconsistent. If he's weighing multiple different factors, then why would it matter that Chicago is farther than Detroit. If he views Chicago as a Stanley Cup contender, and Detroit as not-a-contender, then he might be willing to be in a less ideal location to have a better shot at a cup.

In other words, if he sees Chicago and Detroit as different types of teams, he may hold them to different standards based on other factors, such as location. This isn't inconsistent or "playing games". It's weighing factors differently based on the actual circumstances.

Then he should say it and be honest. You are just speculating to fit your narrative.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://www.si.com/nhl/photo/2016/08/15/nhl-best-centers-rankings-sidney-crosby-jonathan-toews

Ranking the NHL’s 30 best centers

22. Ryan O'Reilly, Sabres: There's lots to love about O'Reilly's game. He plays a ton of minutes in every situation and he took 1,790 face-offs, good for fourth in the league. But his offensive game isn't ideally suited for the No. 1 job, as evidenced by his 24-game goalless slump. He'll be a dynamite No. 2 when Jack Eichel graduates to the No. 1 slot.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Then he should say it and be honest. You are just speculating to fit your narrative.

Oh please. Here's what we actually know: 1) according to Detroit, he told them that "he preferred to play closer to home". 2) he is meeting with Chicago.

You're the one that's speculating to fit your narrative. He's apparently just "playing games" because Chicago is farther from Boston than Detroit, because you're taking the facts and fitting them into your preconceived notions of how this scenario is going to play out.

On the other hand, Vesey told Detroit he would prefer to play closer to home. This can be true and it can also be true that he would prefer Chicago to Detroit. It could simply be a matter than he would rather be closer to home than play for Detroit. This is not remotely a contradiction. It is perfectly plausible, and reasonable. Your narrative comments are complete projection. You're the one jumping to conclusions.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Nothing undoes a middling team like below average goaltending.

Losing a goaltender does not correlate to below average goaltending.... you can get below average goaltending from most any goalie, if the team in front of him stinks. The Sabres LOST Lehner and got ABOVE average goaltending from Johnson.

Did the Isles fall apart when they lost Halak? Nope.... Thomas Career Backup Greise kept them chugging along. 2.30 v 2.36, .919 v .925.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Obvious, sign Vesey, makes Kane expendable, dump him to Vancouver, frees up the Lindholm offersheet money.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Obvious, sign Vesey, makes Kane expendable, dump him to Vancouver, frees up the Lindholm offersheet money.

Other than the offersheet, not completely unrealistic especially because Benning would probably trade Tanev, Horvat and Virtanen for Kane and Gorges.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010

I'm saying circumstances is only reason we care about this kid so much -- myself included. I just use Girgy as an example because he's such a key piece and ALMOST same age -- and almost forgotten piece on this team last year.

And, personally, I think he could match Vesey's totals with ease -- unless he played with total crap. The fact Vesey is 23 makes a difference -- it's huge. Scouting is pretty advanced these days so I'll accept wisdom that this guy is a top 9 player. But people are taking about 50-point rookie season. That's pretty awesome in NHL today.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Cost controlled young assets either cost or emerge randomly. Vesey takes neither.

It's coincidentally why MLB teams get in bidding wars over Japanese dudes - you get 100% of a dude's prime for only money.

Lol, cost should be "cost high picks." ****in thumb keyboards.

Last edited:

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
It's either the Rangers or Devils - NYC has a real pull on Harvard students, Wall St, huge law firms and publishing houses.

I hope Garth from SabresBuzz can handle the news when it's announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad