Roster Speculation part XXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
We need a real #2 for Rasmus. Kulikov isn't an ideal #2 IMO, but he could fill the role better than anyone on this team. I think we'll see a better Risto next year.

We need Risto to be a "real #1," too. Because he isn't that yet.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Why Im not as worried about the defense as others is because I believe Risto can become that 25+ minutes stud #1 we lean on.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I agree but I think you'll get a bit of hate for that.

I dont think there should be any dispite with Zip's statement. Risto played like a true number one during the first half of the season then, like many young players in his position, ran out of steam. He needs to find that consistency and endurance that a true number one workhorse has. He's close, but not quite there yet.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I think it's alittle unfair to expect Ristolainen to be a Real No.1 this soon. He's going to show glimpses and have stretches of elite play, but it's going to be a process.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
What happens if Bogo has a monster season and is a 80 game healthy physical monster...probably the biggest IF ever but still...

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I think a bigger question is between the pipes. Can Lehner avoid extended injury time, and can he be the guy?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
What happens if Bogo has a monster season and is a 80 game healthy physical monster...probably the biggest IF ever but still...

Is Disco is going to let the defense be more aggressive? Because sitting back and playing as conservatively as we did does not play to the strengths of our defense.

Now that he has the foundation set for what he wants to do. I've been wondering if Disco allows that this coming year. Bogo would certainly benefit from it.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Is Disco is going to let the defense be more aggressive? Because sitting back and playing as conservatively as we did does not play to the strengths of our defense.

Now that he has the foundation set for what he wants to do. I've been wondering if Disco allows that this coming year. Bogo would certainly benefit from it.

Agree. Bogosian and Ristolainen need more of a green light to stand up at the blue line, pinch, and rush. McCabe too. Even Nelson, if he stays up. I'd like to see more attacking in general. It plays to the strength of the defense.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Bogosian looked really good when he was able to jump up into the play. We know Risto has that ability and McCabe should too. Nelson seems to have offensive ability as well.

The worst thing they can do is not take advantage of that. I think that's why we were a bad possesion team, and that's one of the reasons I am disapointed we lost pysyk. He can make things happens in the o-zone and in the transition game. Take that first fasching goal for example.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Oh that's right...people here don't think Bogo is worse than McCabe already is. I always forget.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Where is Ennis slotted in this time around? Top 6 wing I assume..
I'd think so, if he's healthy.

The only way he gets into the bottom 6 is if we roll three scoring lines (or if he's downright putrid and hungrier players pass him on the depth charts ala Moulson)... and we have enough centers at this point to end the 'Ennis at center' experiment.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
So according to Joe Yerdon a bunch of prospects have spent the summer in Buffalo, working out, skating and playing in the Fattey Hockey League. Giorgio Estaphan, Devante Stephens, Brendan Guhle, Casey Nelson, Eric Cornell .... and Zemgus Girgensons as the Beaver.

Last edited:

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
So according to Joe Yerdon a bunch of prospects have spent the summer in Buffalo, working out, skating and playing in the Fattey Hockey League. Giorgio Estaphan, Devante Stephens, Brendan Guhle, Casey Nelson, Eric Cornell .... and Zemgus Girgensons as the Beaver.

I LOVE that these guys are staying in Buffalo and drinking in the culture of the Sabres and taking advantage of the facilities and the coaching. It says a lot about them and a lot about the team as well.

I was curious though - the guys without a contract - does the team give them a place to stay, help with travel, a stipend, etc? Or are they on their own? Either way it's great!

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I LOVE that these guys are staying in Buffalo and drinking in the culture of the Sabres and taking advantage of the facilities and the coaching. It says a lot about them and a lot about the team as well.

I was curious though - the guys without a contract - does the team give them a place to stay, help with travel, a stipend, etc? Or are they on their own? Either way it's great!

I assume they are being put up at the HarborCenter Marriot and food is taken care of. I don't think there's any rule against paying expenses for off season training. Even during the season if the Sabres wanted to pay for extra skating lessons and fitness training, pay for supplements, make sure they are eating well I don't think there's a rule against that. Dotcommunism would know if anybody does whether there are rules for that kind of thing.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I assume they are being put up at the HarborCenter Marriot and food is taken care of. I don't think there's any rule against paying expenses for off season training. Even during the season if the Sabres wanted to pay for extra skating lessons and fitness training, pay for supplements, make sure they are eating well I don't think there's a rule against that. Dotcommunism would know if anybody does whether there are rules for that kind of thing.

The only players I could even imagine would run into a problem with that kind of arrangement would be NCAA prospects, and no one on that list has amateur eligibility to worry about.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The only players I could even imagine would run into a problem with that kind of arrangement would be NCAA prospects, and no one on that list has amateur eligibility to worry about.

They couldn't do this with NCAA players. It would have to be on the players own dime.

Sean Malone could be someone participating in something like this. He can use the Sabres facilities and training staff since he lives locally thus traveling at his own expense.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I still don't think our D will improve much aside from the natural progression of Risto and McCabe, which I think will be a big determinant on how this season goes.

That said, I'd like to see Nelson too. Is he Tim's "type" of player though?

Murray signed him, so I assume he likes him :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad