Roster Speculation: Part XV (aka. Off-season wish list edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Listening to Friday's WGR interview, am I crazy for thinking Murray sounds more satisfied with our defense than our offense? Aside from his comment about "adding to the D core, a QB type," he didn't foreshadow a defensive overhaul. Just isolating some of the quotes:

Wow. Either Tim's blowing a lot of smoke, or he's a lot happier with the defense than most around here are. It looks like he thinks the team will improve defensively just by Lehner getting more games next season. Now, he was talking team defense, which includes the forwards, but he sounded pretty satisfied.

Unless he's puffing and taking a public position the complete opposite of which he's taking internally, it doesn't sound like there's an overhaul of the defense coming.

He'll draft in a spot where he's basically assured of getting one of: Chychrun, Juolevi, Sergachev, or Bean. He's got enough trade assets to make a move. Maybe he's taking a longer term approach?

YYY - Ristolainen
ZZZ - Bogosian
McCabe - Pysyk
X - Nelson

YYY and ZZZ could be filled by draft pick/trade and Guhle?

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Listening to Friday's WGR interview, am I crazy for thinking Murray sounds more satisfied with our defense than our offense? Aside from his comment about "adding to the D core, a QB type," he didn't foreshadow a defensive overhaul. Just isolating some of the quotes:

Wow. Either Tim's blowing a lot of smoke, or he's a lot happier with the defense than most around here are. It looks like he thinks the team will improve defensively just by Lehner getting more games next season. Now, he was talking team defense, which includes the forwards, but he sounded pretty satisfied.

Unless he's puffing and taking a public position the complete opposite of which he's taking internally, it doesn't sound like there's an overhaul of the defense coming.

He's right, our GAA is 15th in the league, we don't suck defensively - we don't score enough still and much of that is we don't get much from our defencemen. I like the idea of Campbell coming back and drafting Sergachev or Bean both good offensive defense prospects.

We didn't have a functional Bogosian for 2/3rds of the season, that hurt.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site

Everything he said is correct. Defense is played by the team, not just six dmen. There have been huge improvements in the team d from the past 2 years. The d core doesn't need to be blown up. Adding a top LHD that can slide beside Risto and be a QB back there is the glaring need. That slide Gorges down the lineup where he needs to be. Nelson has been ipressive and might make Psysk expendable but I don't see a need to blowup the entire d corps at this point. The goaltending has been solid but it has been the lack of scoring that prevented this team from moving up another level.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Krug isn't a complete defenseman. He doesn't penalty kill much at all, but he does do solid things with the puck and when his team has the puck. *shrug*

Agreed. As it pertains to "QB" type defensemen, I think many will need to come to accept that the players available will have warts - usually in their defensive zone - but be willing to take the bad with the good, and hope that the good outweighs the bad.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

Don't make the classic mistake of conflating team 'defense' with 'defensemen' and vice versa. Our team defense was good this year. Our team offense wasn't as good. That doesn't correlate to positions.

He also said when asked what moves he has in mind that he wants to add to the defense (meaning the position) and didnt mention the forwards.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
FWIW, I still see two longterm (and short term) needs on the defense, that are actually distinctly different, unless you find a God of a player:

1) A longterm partner for Risto. I actually am not looking for a QB type here, but instead a Tallinder type. Good skater that is rock solid defensively and just has to be competent enough offensively to make an outlet pass. High end of this is someone like Brodin. Possible in hows solutions include Pysyk, McCabe, and long term maybe Guhle. But yeah, would like to find a long term piece for here, and I don't think it is PYsyk or McCabe.

2) QB type. Someone that can really drive some offense from the back end. UFA options include Campbell and Goligoski. In house option would include maybe McCabe if that part of his game really develops well (I'm doubtful) and longterm in the prospect shoot only guy is Martin, but again highly unlikely. Plenty of draft eligible prospects that fit this mold. I see this guy as likely the second pairing LD.

That's the biggest problem I have with the Bogosian/Pysyk/McCabe trio. Unless two of them get pushed down to the third pairing (and that probably starts to look like an unaffordable third pairing), I just don't like their compliment of skill sets.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Don't make the classic mistake of conflating team 'defense' with 'defensemen' and vice versa. Our team defense was good this year. Our team offense wasn't as good. That doesn't correlate to positions.

He also said when asked what moves he has in mind that he wants to add to the defense (meaning the position) and didnt mention the forwards.

I didn't, which is why I specifically referenced "team defense." But the upshot of what Murray was saying led me to believe he's not down on the defensemen we do have.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
He's right, our GAA is 15th in the league, we don't suck defensively

We're 25 GF from being middle of the pack in goals scored.
We're 23 GA from being top 5 in goals against.

The last 5 years or so have shown that the teams that win the Cup have mediocre offenses but elite defenses. We'll see how this year shakes out.

So, we're about equidistant from hitting each of those marks. I think we're MUCH more likely to get more natural growth out of our forwards than we are out of our defense. This is why I've maintained for most of the season that our sole biggest need is a LHD to pair with Risto and maybe another top 4 LHD to pair with Bogo which pushes McCabe and Gorges into roles that they're better suited for at the moment.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I really think we need to improve our 2nd pairing too. Bylsma's been riding Risto way too much because he couldn't put his trust into McCabe-Bogo in tougher defensive situations consistently, resulting in Risto's dropoff during the second half of the season. Gorges dropping down might bring some of that defensive stability, but I'm not sure about the transition game of a Gorges-Bogo pairing.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
The one thing that was telling regarding his comments on defense was that he was not satisfied with the gaps, and that maybe that was just a product of our personnel. He slipped that little quip in there, and I think it shows that he is definitely aware of the shortcomings of his defensive corps.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
The one thing that was telling regarding his comments on defense was that he was not satisfied with the gaps, and that maybe that was just a product of our personnel. He slipped that little quip in there, and I think it shows that he is definitely aware of the shortcomings of his defensive corps.

I must've missed that, very interesting, can you quote it?

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I must've missed that, very interesting, can you quote it?

It's in the first 5 minutes or so when he's discussing things they've improved on, including how they've improved the forecheck. I think it comes right before the question that led to the quote that Zip discussed.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

I didn't, which is why I specifically referenced "team defense." But the upshot of what Murray was saying led me to believe he's not down on the defensemen we do have.

then conflating you are

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
Dan's team defensive "system" has been pretty good, actually.

This doesn't mean that the Sabres don't need a dman upgrade

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I think Vatanen could be an interesting target. He's a righty, but I'd be willing to bet he'd be alright as on offensive defenseman playing on the left side. Just depends who Bob Murray prioritizes to get there in Anaheim. Also, I think he might be odd guy out in Anaheim. Unless Murray is big on an even amount of right/left handed defensemen.

Slavin is another guy who's kind of under the radar. With the potential they have with left handed defensemen (Fleury, Hanifin in particular), he could be available for the right forward prospect.

I think the guy from the KHL is another option, as Murray seems to want to explore every avenue available in player acquisition. Would be a cheap way

Also, I know it wasn't mentioned in the Murray interview, and it's total speculation on my part, but I think Nelson was brought in particular to be the replacement for Pysyk. Righty who can be on your 3rd pair, qb the 2nd pp, play 18min/night and not kill you, while having some size to boot.
Then Bogo on the 2nd pair with Risto on the top line.

*anyone think they'll make a play on Vesey when he becomes available in August? Maybe they have Eichel calling him up to see how he's doing, some insider recruiting?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

I think he plans on adding one player but think there will be improvement next year with experience with the younger players.

The team is in the middle with 219 GA eith top around 189.

The offense at 197 is still in the bottom part of the league.

If the team can get some key goal production snd say take 8 games they lost be 1 ( excluding EN goals) and win them by 1, so instead of losing 3-2 they win 3-2. You could also factor in the EN goals svored against and buffalo scored them. They can improve by 16 points and -12 on GA and increase GF +12.

They bring in another forward as well as development of the young players I can see them adding around 35 in goal production (15 from Eichel and Reinhart) and 20 from others.

He's right, our GAA is 15th in the league, we don't suck defensively - we don't score enough still and much of that is we don't get much from our defencemen. I like the idea of Campbell coming back and drafting Sergachev or Bean both good offensive defense prospects.

We didn't have a functional Bogosian for 2/3rds of the season, that hurt.

I'm not as worried about defensive goal production.

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
He'll draft in a spot where he's basically assured of getting one of: Chychrun, Juolevi, Sergachev, or Bean. He's got enough trade assets to make a move. Maybe he's taking a longer term approach?

YYY - Ristolainen
ZZZ - Bogosian
McCabe - Pysyk
X - Nelson

YYY and ZZZ could be filled by draft pick/trade and Guhle?

I saw Rochester play last night and I'd be shocked if Guhle was ready to play top 4 on the Sabres next year. It was only one look live but he didn't stand out. My best guess is he plays junior next year and the following year plays in Rochester with call up to Sabres if he's doing well. I look for him to be ready for the NHL in 2018/19 season and that would probably be on 3rd pairing.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
So, in refocusing on the D-men, you have two pretty obvious teams that are dealing defensemen

The Wild
The Ducks

The Wild have:

Suter-Dumba
Spurgeon-Scandella
Brodin-

The Ducks have

Vatanen-Lindholm
Bieksa-Fowler
Stoner-Despres
Theodore-Montour

The problem going in is that the no matter what we can offer, the Oilers hold the cards here.

They're going to have a higher draft pick than us (barring a lotto into the top 3), they have higher quality forwards available, and I think they are a little more desperate.

Logically, to me at least, what makes sense is the Oilers and Wild. The Oilers and the Ducks have history going back to the Pronger deal and the Penner offersheet. They are also in the same division. Thats not to say the Oilers are the only team looking for defense, but they are the team that can swing the largest hammer at this point. RNH for one of their D-men just makes a ton of sense considering Edmonton's and Minny's needs. Especially after a Vanek buyout.

So, putting the Wild out (assuming they go with Edmonton with the fit), but, lets look at the Ducks. What are their needs?

They've got a good forward group (Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, Silferberg, Rackell). With Perron a pending UFA. they've got room to call up Ritchie, etc. So, they 2nd/3rd line young-ish forwards. They traded a ton of picks this year, so they need to replenish their draft pool as well as they've traded alot of picks. Buffalo has these things

The real question is, WHAT d-man is available. Stoner for sure. But can they re-up both Lindholm and Vatanen before the threat of an offersheet? Vatanen is the one rumored to be available, but that leaves them without a NHL ready RHD in their top 4. Looking at it, my best guess is they extend both Lindholm and Vatanen and move Fowler.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
So, in refocusing on the D-men, you have two pretty obvious teams that are dealing defensemen

The Wild
The Ducks

The Wild want a top six FW, so Edm is the natural fit there, and that's another reason why I highly doubt Buffalo's 1st is enough for Brodin (if they even have a chance).

With Ahm I think Vatanen for Pysyk plus pick might work if they won't trade a LHD. That would at least help Buffalo with an offensive PP type, and maybe even move Bogo down to 3rd pair. If they trade a LHD I just don't even consider Lindholm though, so Fowler might work for Buffalo's 1st or Pysyk/McCabe plus 2nd or two 2nds.

This will be TM's biggest challenge as GM so far imo.

Bearbait

Mar 4, 2011
Can someone tell me how Franson fits into all this? That was TM's doing last summer, that is his quarterback that he signed. For arguements sake, lets say the concussion problems go away over the summer and he is ready to go October 1st. Then what? Is he trade bait to be packaged up and shipped somewhere else?

I hated that signing, I still do. But the fact is that were stuck with him for another year. So we would have to do something with him.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
If he's valued the way TSN pundits believe he is, Eberle is worthless to a team with Minnesota's cap situation, though. They want help up front, but not another midlevel, offense only dude paid above market.

Would they part with RNH for Brodin? It's sort of robbing Peter for Paul by turning their best defensive forward into a shutdown D, unless Hall-Drai can take over.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Cut the he oilers have the better assets crap, they have had the for years and didn't do anythih with them. As long as they don't start selling them off they are no threat to nobody.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Cut the he oilers have the better assets crap, they have had the for years and didn't do anythih with them. As long as they don't start selling them off they are no threat to nobody.

Judging by the comments of the coach so far, big changes have to be coming. They could easily grab a 3rd line center via trade/UFA (Nielsen, Matthias). I'd be shocked if RNH is there by the start of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad