Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Agreed, but look at the ROR trade as a comparable:
Zadorov = 2016 1st
Grigorenko = Pysyk
2nd ´15 > 2nd ´17 (but close)

That leaves Compher + a 2nd (what we got for McGinn) as difference between ROR and Sanheim. Would you do ROR for Sanheim, Compher, 2nd?
I'd say your trade could make sense if TM is really confident in Sanheim's abilities, but it's a clear overpayment.

Good point....

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
Radulov coming back to the show. Obviously the biggest worry would be having him in the locker room with the young ones but he's a talented winger. Also Russian which makes it a long shot. I'm interested to see what he can do at the NHL level though

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Radulov coming back to the show. Obviously the biggest worry would be having him in the locker room with the young ones but he's a talented winger. Also Russian which makes it a long shot. I'm interested to see what he can do at the NHL level though

Doubtful GMTM goes after Radulov.

Captain Holt

Fun? I was never fun! You take that back
Jul 10, 2013
Buffalo
How has Baptiste been this year?

I see that he has 12 and 12, but I don't recall seeing a thing about him.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Let's go through the UFA d-men:

Campbell
Yandle
Gologoski
Hamhuis
Quincey
Russell

What is the top term/dollars you'd be willing to go on each?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I believe this is how the ELC performance bonus stuff works:

If a guy like Panarin hits various bonuses, they get applied to the following season's cap.

Panarin is going to get a boatload of bonus money, so that will impact Chicago's 2016-17 cap.

It's not an issue for this season as he technically doesn't get the money until after the regular season concludes.

There is a cap cushion for bonus money, I believe if you exceed that it rolls over.

For 35+ contracts Im not sure if it need to be structured this way or if its a team option on if the bonus money counts in the following year (like Boston and Iginla with ~$4M counted against the following years cap)

Because he was drafted in 2014? A lot of players rise in their draft+1 year alone, and Sanheim's just completed his draft+2 season. Dylan Larkin was drafted 15th in the same draft. Kyle Connor was drafted 17th (the same position as Sanheim) last year and is expected to win the Hobey Baker this year. Draft position means way way less than how a player's performed and developed since being drafted.

Whether it's worth trading all that for Sanheim is another issue, but if you're going to debate it, pointing to his draft position is a rather weak argument.

I understand player value can rise based on performance. On here its shiney new toy to the nth degree.

Its expected if you area CHL player your numbers will go up in the next two years post draft like Sanheim had. But there are TONS of players who did that but there is little correlation to that and NHL success.

lets look at the 2014 draft:

Ekblad
Reinhart
Draisatl
Bennet
Nylander
Ehlers
Pasternick
Larkin
Fabbri
McCann

all have done more--in a redraft they likely still get drafted before he does.

the issue I have in a redraft he gets picked maybe 8-12. around where Buffalo is picking now.

In terms of trade value

ROR+McGinn=Zads+Girgs+Compher+2nd

vs

top 10 pick+2nd+Pysyk for Sanheim

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Let's go through the UFA d-men:

Campbell
Yandle
Gologoski
Hamhuis
Quincey
Russell

What is the top term/dollars you'd be willing to go on each?

nothing more than 2 years... on any of them. They are all fallback options IMO

Hamhuis is probably the one that interests me the most. Because a 2 year deal should be right in his wheel house.

Campbell seems like someone who will stay in Florida. But if wanted to finish where he started, I'd have no problem with a 2 year deal

Yandle is going to get too much money, not interested at all

Gologoski is going to get too much money, not interested at all

Quincey is a good fit, affordable, makes sense

Russell not interested at all.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I understand player value can rise based on performance. On here its shiney new toy to the nth degree.

Its expected if you area CHL player your numbers will go up in the next two years post draft like Sanheim had. But there are TONS of players who did that but there is little correlation to that and NHL success.

lets look at the 2014 draft:

Ekblad
Reinhart
Draisatl
Bennet
Nylander
Ehlers
Pasternick
Larkin
Fabbri
McCann

all have done more--in a redraft they likely still get drafted before he does.

the issue I have in a redraft he gets picked maybe 8-12. around where Buffalo is picking now.

That's just lazy.... 1.31 points per game isn't just "expected improvement", it's the best in the entire CHL. I would agree, in a re-draft, he probably gets picked in the 8-12 range. Where you see a value difference (in the addition of assets to our 1st) I see the proper investment. Those 2 years of development are incredibly valuable.
- player fits core need
- player has shown exceptional development
- player is closer to NHL

So if upgrading my existing 8th-12th pick to Sanheim and all those benefits of two years of development costs me a Pysyk and some additional picks, I call that a deal.

In terms of trade value

ROR+McGinn=Zads+Girgs+Compher+2nd

vs

top 10 pick+2nd+Pysyk for Sanheim

Not sure why comparing pending UFA on the outs with his franchise, to blooming stud D prospect is relevant.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
nothing more than 2 years... on any of them. They are all fallback options IMO

Hamhuis is probably the one that interests me the most. Because a 2 year deal should be right in his wheel house.

Campbell seems like someone who will stay in Florida. But if wanted to finish where he started, I'd have no problem with a 2 year deal

Yandle is going to get too much money, not interested at all

Gologoski is going to get too much money, not interested at all

Quincey is a good fit, affordable, makes sense

Russell not interested at all.

If Campbell hits UFA, Buffalo would probably be an option for him. He's a bills fan and was torn up when Buffalo traded him to Chicago. Some people have mentioned Florida might simply not be able to afford him (or be willing to beyond 1 year)

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
One person posted the idea of trading away your 1st round pick. Is that a popular idea in Buffalo? If so, any interest in Jonas Brodin?

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
One person posted the idea of trading away your 1st round pick. Is that a popular idea in Buffalo? If so, any interest in Jonas Brodin?

Straight up for 7-10, I think this is the exact deal most of us would be hoping for.

Edit: then again, I guess it comes down to who is available. Brodin is what he is, and it's extremely safe, but does he get you to the top of the mountain?

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Yes, particularly if there is no tacked on contract things -- Buffalo giving up a top-10 pick does not mean they have to eat crap salary like Pominville. The determination would have to be if Brodin alone is worth a top-10 pick or if someone needs to add something.

McDonough was mentioned by a Ranger fan and he'd be one of those "fat kid on a smartie" moments if that was ever offered.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
What are people's thoughts on Brodin? He seems sort of like LHD Pysyk, but better. We don't need Karlsson, but it's somewhat confounding when a player with a huge skill set doesn't bring any sort of offense. You would like to know a player can rip a shot when he has a wide open chance, or is willing to pinch occasionally.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
What are people's thoughts on Brodin? He seems sort of like LHD Pysyk, but better.

He's a much, much faster and better skater than Pysyk will ever be. He also has a lot of offensive potential we haven't seen translate yet. Low end he's a perfect #2 for Risto: fast, steady, a rock in his own end. High end he's a #1 in his own right, all that stuff, plus elite offense.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
What are people's thoughts on Brodin? He seems sort of like LHD Pysyk, but better. We don't need Karlsson, but it's somewhat confounding when a player with a huge skill set doesn't bring any sort of offense. You would like to know a player can rip a shot when he has a wide open chance, or is willing to pinch occasionally.

I like like him but I don't love like him. And for a top-10 pick in this draft, I don't like like him THAT much to not want something more that isn't Moulson-esque bad contract money like Pominville.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I like like him but I don't love like him. And for a top-10 pick in this draft, I don't like like him THAT much to not want something more that isn't Moulson-esque bad contract money like Pominville.

I think the interesting thing about Brodin is the role/fit. A stay at home, but incredibly mobile defensemen is exactly what either Risto or Bogo need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad