Roster Speculation Part XII: Deadline Deals Galore!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Can we talk about Eriksson, since it appears Doak's wanting to give him a 6X6 deal didn't trigger vomit in anyone else like it did me?

I honestly have no interest in Eriksson. It just seems so obvious to me that his contract is going to be the bad contract this offseason. 30 year old having a career season in a UFA year while having an outlier shooting percentage? No thanks, at all. He'd live up to his contract for a few years, and then his production will fall off a cliff like every other 30 year old given a huge UFA contract.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
All of this pre-supposed the coach is actually willing to look at different combinations and perhaps use smarter pairs. Which... yeah... highly ****ing unlikely. :biglaugh:

Back to the UFA thoughts -- has anyone run Quincey through the ringer yet? UFA, seems to get a lot of 2nd pairing minutes with Detroit. I can't see him commanding major money.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
"Garth Snow" off-season:

Replenish the lost Boston picks trade:
- Boston gets Buffalo 2016 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.
- Buffalo gets rights to Torey Krug.

Find Ristolainen's partner:
- Minnesota gets Buffalo's 2017 1st (top 5 protected), 2017 2nd.
- Buffalo gets Marco Scandella.

Free agents:
- Loui Eriksson
- Kyle Brodziak

Draft:
1.) Jakob Chychrun

Kane - O'Reilly - Reinhart
Girgensons - Eichel - Eriksson
Foligno - Larsson - Ennis
Moulson - Brodziak - Gionta
x- Schaller

Scandella - Ristolainen
McCabe - Pysyk
Krug - Bogosian
x- Gorges

Fasching in Rochester, Guhle and Chychrun in juniors. Ennis is trade bait, assuming he stays healthy. Goal is to eventually move Ennis, bring up Fasching (O'Reilly - Reinhart line), and move Kane to RW with Larsson.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Playing fine for 10 games made up for over half a season where he didn't look ready for the NHL?

I like McCabe, I'm even fine with penciling him for 3rd pairing next year this point, but counting on him to be a top 4 D next year is just asking for trouble.

Sounds a lot like Risto from last year.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Playing fine for 10 games made up for over half a season where he didn't look ready for the NHL?

I like McCabe, I'm even fine with penciling him for 3rd pairing next year this point, but counting on him to be a top 4 D next year is just asking for trouble.

Agreed.

And this happens every year. Young defensemen, easy minutes, everyone sees a future top 4. I haven't been that impressed with McCabe this year, but recognize that Bogo has been a massive anchor. But still, McCabe's numbers are the same with and without Bogo.

I've liked McCabe since the day we drafted him. His development curve has been very natural, and I look forward to that continuing. But no need to pencil him in any higher than 3rd pair (as a long term solution). He may be the solution up top, but you don't plan for it that way.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Similar to Fowler's contract with Anaheim - it's good value.

I'm wondering more about Krug now. They could sell off some those picks to replenish the Bruins depleted pick pool and get that mid-pairing puck moving LHD who actually produces on the powerplay through creativity rather than yet another shooter.

I don't see Boston selling off Krrug. The need Dmen. The issue with Krug is he is arbitration eligible so is paying him something like #4M+ an overpaynent?

As for Fowler, Normally Anaheim would want to keep him. There situation is unique with having Lindholm and their other young Dman,

I think long term contracts are going to be harder to move. Consider it similar to the Leddy trade.

Buffalo sends them Franson (who they can buyout cheaply if they don't want him), and an early 2nd for Scandella.

Not enough to get Scandella.

If a player is playing worth the contract he will be harder to move. The players teams want to move are the ones they feel wont play well enough next year to earn the contract.

GMTM is thinking of the cap goes down then teams may be forced to sell off assets they have.

Playing around a bit:

To MN: Franson, 2nd (2016)
To Buffalo: Scandella

Buffalo takes on the long term contract and better player. MN gets a 1 year deal that is easily bought out if they need space and a pick (no 2nd/3rd round pick t his year)

Gionta retires and Buffalo moves his 35+ contract to ARI so they can get to the cap floor for free.

Buffalo signs Gologoski to a 5 year, 26.25M Deal

Buffalo signs Eriksson to a 6 year, 36M deal

Buffalo signs Downie and Matthias to 1 year, depth deals.

CapFriendly.com Armchair-GM User-Generated Roster

FORWARDS (13)
Rightwing: T. Ennis ($4,600,000) - S. Reinhart ($894,167) - J. Bailey ($670,000) - S. Downie ($950,000)
Centre: R. O'Reilly ($7,500,000) - J. Eichel ($925,000) - J. Larsson ($1,500,000) - S. Matthias ($1,200,000)
Leftwing: E. Kane ($5,250,000) - L. Eriksson ($6,000,000) - Z. Girgensons ($2,500,000) - M. Moulson ($5,000,000) - T. Schaller ($700,000)

DEFENSE (7)
Right: R. Ristolainen ($6,000,000) - Z. Bogosian ($5,142,857) - M. Pysyk ($1,125,000)
Left: A. Goligoski ($5,250,000) - M. Scandella ($4,000,000) - J. Gorges ($3,900,000) - J. McCabe ($1,000,000)

GOALTENDER (2)
R. Lehner ($2,225,000) - L. Ullmark ($775,833)

BUYOUTS
C. Hodgson ($0) - C. Ehrhoff ($0) - V. Leino ($0)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 22
NHL Salary Cap: $71,400,000
LTIR: $1,500,000
Cap Hit: $69,149,524
Cap Space: $2,250,476

These 2 signing in terms of length ---I don't like. Eriksson is one hit away from his career ending.

If Gologowski was a shorter tem like 2-3 yrs sure---but 5 years---no.

For Defense I would go out and sign/acquire one name LHD and then look at trying to get a prospect/ELC (in AHL) player who isn't their top prospect.

I figure McCabe will improve. seems everyone forgets he is a rookie.
Gorges has 2 yrs left after which he can be replaced by Guhle or a LHD they draft w/1st this year.

all they need is one acquisition. Id rather acquire someone 22-25 range than sign a UFA 29 or older

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Can we talk about Eriksson, since it appears Doak's wanting to give him a 6X6 deal didn't trigger vomit in anyone else like it did me?

I honestly have no interest in Eriksson. It just seems so obvious to me that his contract is going to be the bad contract this offseason. 30 year old having a career season in a UFA year while having an outlier shooting percentage? No thanks, at all. He'd live up to his contract for a few years, and then his production will fall off a cliff like every other 30 year old given a huge UFA contract.

i've been saying no to it everytime it comes up.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=108143297&postcount=103

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=111382959&postcount=82

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=114237465&postcount=940

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I think you treat McCabe like you do any youngster. You set them up for success as much as you can, but don't count on them being a regular contributor until they have proven it over an extended period. McCabe has been up and down all season (as to be expected).

We should add two LH D-men this summer. (one via trade/one via UFA). IF McCabe ends up taking a spot from one of them....great problem to have.

yup, spot on

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

I'm not sold-sold on Eriksson. I do think a Girgensons - Eichel - Eriksson line could be very good. I also think Eriksson could be Hossa-like in his play after 30.

Not a fan of 6 x 6. Also nervous of his injury history.

On the fence. :dunno:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Agreed. As I've said on the Eriksson topic before. Love the player, but it's exactly the type of deal we should not be getting in to... no matter how perfect the fit is for the next 2-3 years.

Age+Injury History.... come on, we know how this story ends

The fact is, the NHL will continue to make loopholes for teams to get out of contracts. The Canadian dollar will rebound at some point over the next 2-3 years, we're going to see 2 expansion teams over the next 3-4 years (which will be a huge dumping ground for contracts). As long as ownership continues to act like a big market club, there should be little fear of having to eat the cap of the last 2-3 years of any deal. There's always going to be ways around it.

In the last year, Clarkson and Phaneuf got moved with no long term salary coming back. Mike Richards contract got thrown out over a morality clause. Hell, the Devils got out Ilya Kovulchuk's albatross with zero ill effects. Teams who are willing to pay the $$ will continue to skirt the cap.

I say, sign away and improve the team short term. We'll deal with the cap consequences when we have to.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I think you treat McCabe like you do any youngster. You set them up for success as much as you can, but don't count on them being a regular contributor until they have proven it over an extended period. McCabe has been up and down all season (as to be expected).

We should add two LH D-men this summer. (one via trade/one via UFA). IF McCabe ends up taking a spot from one of them....great problem to have.

Yes, exactly.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Yes... A lot.

See, we can both do this.

It's completely asinine to compare McCabe this year to Risto last year. Risotto was emerging as a true #1 D last year. It was about halfway through the season that most started have that 'oh ****, this guy is really, really good' realization. McCabe has struggled mightily in a top 4 capacity all season. Just recently he's looked 'fine.' At no point has he looked like a top pairing guy. This doesn't mean he won't improve, I think he will, but banking on it is asking for trouble.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Not intended to do the gotcha thing... but I had no recollection of them playing together. After checking... they really havent. About 40 minutes this year, 40 minutes last year... that's like 30 seconds a game. 120 minutes 2 years ago, and his GA jumped by nearly a full goal (when facing Chara level QOC).
Yeah idk why I thought that either.

Maybe their 2014 time together came in one big chunk early in the season that stuck in my head.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The fact is, the NHL will continue to make loopholes for teams to get out of contracts. The Canadian dollar will rebound at some point over the next 2-3 years, we're going to see 2 expansion teams over the next 3-4 years (which will be a huge dumping ground for contracts). As long as ownership continues to act like a big market club, there should be little fear of having to eat the cap of the last 2-3 years of any deal. There's always going to be ways around it.

In the last year, Clarkson and Phaneuf got moved with no long term salary coming back. Mike Richards contract got thrown out over a morality clause. Hell, the Devils got out Ilya Kovulchuk's albatross with zero ill effects. Teams who are willing to pay the $$ will continue to skirt the cap.

I say, sign away and improve the team short term. We'll deal with the cap consequences when we have to.

Well if you are going in for 6x6 on Loui, why not go big or stay home and try for Stammer?

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

And then there's the Rangers and Brad Richards

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
It's completely asinine to compare McCabe this year to Risto last year. Risotto was emerging as a true #1 D last year. It was about halfway through the season that most started have that 'oh ****, this guy is really, really good' realization. McCabe has struggled mightily in a top 4 capacity all season. Just recently he's looked 'fine.' At no point has he looked like a top pairing guy. This doesn't mean he won't improve, I think he will, but banking on it is asking for trouble.

Last year Risto was getting eaten up in a top 4 role for half the season. About midway through the season, it seemed to click, then when Myers was traded, he really stepped up to finish the season.

This year, McCabe struggled most of the early portion of the season. Since the ASG, he has really stepped up and easily been our best LHD. "Just fine"? You've got to be kidding me. He's been excellent for the last little while. Your evaluation seems to be tied to your expectation.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Last year Risto was getting eaten up in a top 4 role for half the season. About midway through the season, it seemed to click, then when Myers was traded, he really stepped up to finish the season.

This year, McCabe struggled most of the early portion of the season. Since the ASG, he has really stepped up and easily been our best LHD. "Just fine"? You've got to be kidding me. He's been excellent for the last little while. Your evaluation seems to be tied to your expectation.

I absolutely agree.

But that doesn't mean much...

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Well if you are going in for 6x6 on Loui, why not go big or stay home and try for Stammer?

Mainly because this summer will actually be hard to move contracts. A stagnant cap and no outclauses means teams will be less willing to take on a Gorges or Moulson type contract. Throwing 11M at Stamkos precludes us from improving the defense this year unless we get some cap friendly D-man via trade.

Even with the roster I had, I was able to stay under the cap by dumping Franson and moving Gionta's cap hit (assuming retirement, which is a big if). Franson is probably movable regardless, but if Gionta wants to play one more year....then we've got alot less space.

IF we can go out and "magic" our way into a d-man like Fowler who fills that top pairing LHD spot...sure, let's go hard after Stamkos. I don't see that happening, however.

And then there's the Rangers and Brad Richards

You mean the Brad Richards who the rangers are paying $0 for on their cap hit and won 6 playoff rounds over the first 3 years of his contract? THAT Brad Richards? (it really is a poor example. Overpay a player for UFA, do well with him, dump his ass to the curb once you have cap problems....pretty much exactly what we want to do with Erikkson/Stamkos/any UFA)

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Contract could suck, but I like Lou's game. Think it would mesh well with Eich.

McCabe not throwing up grenades does not equate to Risto playing like a top pair guy for half a year. Also, maybe this is just my memory, but I don't remember risto struggling hugely in the beginning of last year, unless we are talking about his point production.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY

I'm not the least bit interested in him either. Too much money and term for not enough return even in years 1 and 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad