Roster Speculation Part XII: Deadline Deals Galore!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Holt

Fun? I was never fun! You take that back
Jul 10, 2013
Buffalo
I don't get the Over the Top love for ZG.

If you can get a top tier Wing prospect like Drouin for him I think you make that move all day, err day.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Is Drouin still sitting at home? Kid's trade value can't be that high. Girgensons is a non-starter for me. Drouin's a lottery ticket. I'll trade a different lottery ticket for him.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Is Drouin still sitting at home? Kid's trade value can't be that high. Girgensons is a non-starter for me. He's a lottery ticket. I'll trade a different lottery ticket for him.

Yup, he's sitting back and waiting for a trade.

I can't see how this approach is helping his career. I won't be shocked if Yzerman calls JD's bluff and he isn't moved.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

If you can get a top tier Wing prospect like Drouin for him I think you make that move all day, err day.

An NHL forward in hand is worth two in the bush.

ZG is a solid NHL forward that can play a variety of roles.

Drouin is a lottery ticket.

I can see why people want another team to buy that lottery ticket if the price is a guy like ZG.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Yup, he's sitting back and waiting for a trade.

I can't see how this approach is helping his career. I won't be shocked if Yzerman calls JD's bluff and he isn't moved.

I don't think that's an option anymore...pretty sure Drouin has been told he doesn't have a place with the team anymore, pending a trade. Realistically, why would the Crunch or Lightning locker rooms want him back after everything that has happened?

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011

Girgensons IMO is a 40 point wing without much more upside, versatile in a shutdown role, with a great two way game and leadership.

Drouin is one year younger, great upside but no production to show for it yet, poor two way game and earning a bad rep.

He's in the minors right now for a reason. He may break through, but I doubt it's to become an elite player.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
He's in the minors right now for a reason. He may break through, but I doubt it's to become an elite player.

The best thing that can happen for his career is a trade to Colorado and a reunion on Mackinnon's wing. He pretty badly needs a tailor-made situation for him to succeed, and that isn't somebody you go crazy trading for. You want a lineup piece that can move around fluidly, not someone who *has* to have the top minutes and *has* to have the best linemates possible...that isn't a good building block.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

I can see why people want another team to buy that lottery ticket if the price is a guy like ZG.

Compare Zemgus's NHL progression to Kesler's.

Zemgus has taken a step back this year offensively, but he's also had all his PP and most of ES ice time taken away by O'Reilly/Eichel. He's 22. He has plenty of upside left. He can easily be a 50-60 pt two way shutdown winger.

Zemgus also is a tireless worker

Drouin is more talented, but also has issues in working hard in the role presented to him.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I don't think that's an option anymore...pretty sure Drouin has been told he doesn't have a place with the team anymore, pending a trade. Realistically, why would the Crunch or Lightning locker rooms want him back after everything that has happened?

The Lightning wanted JD to go to Syracuse and work hard.

He took his stick and went home. The Lightning didn't send him home to wait for a trade.

As far as the locker room goes, they are all pros and would suck it up.

Personally, I would love it if Yzerman held on to Drouin until he blossoms or builds his trade value back up.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

I prefer bush over hands....

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
The Lightning wanted JD to go to Syracuse and work hard.

He took his stick and went home. The Lightning didn't send him home to wait for a trade.

I realize that, but now that he's played his hand I can't imagine he's welcome back. Maybe I'm wrong, I certainly don't sit in either front office or locker room. A petulant employee in nearly any other organization would be lucky to be handed his hat.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I realize that, but now that he's played his hand I can't imagine he's welcome back. Maybe I'm wrong, I certainly don't sit in either front office or locker room. A petulant employee in nearly any other organization would be lucky to be handed his hat.

Pro sports aren't like "the real world".

Employees in the real world are merely widgets, for the most part. Athletes in the pro sports realm are assets that increase or decrease in value.

Joe McDonald's who oversleeps and misses a shift flipping burgers isn't getting traded to Burger King for a 3rd round pick.

Yzerman has to maximize his return on Drouin. Unless he gets a deal that he likes now, talking things over and getting Drouin back playing very well could be the route he has to go down unless he's ok with getting pennies on the dollar and caving to the player and agent.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I don't know. I've been disappointed in Girgs output this year, but he's the exact type of forward a team like the Oilers don't have. Trading him for skill, then drafting more skill, could come back to bite us hard.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Sabres have workers, two-way forwards. If you can move one, likely Girgensons, for a scorer then IMO you do it.

Saying Girgensons is a 40 point forward in his current role is like me saying Drouin is a 30 goal scorer.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I don't know. I've been disappointed in Girgs output this year, but he's the exact type of forward a team like the Oilers don't have. Trading him for skill, then drafting more skill, could come back to bite us hard.

We have ROR, Reinhart, and Kane. Fasching on the way. We are set on two-way forwards. We need someone that puts the puck in the net.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
We have ROR, Reinhart, and Kane. Fasching on the way. We are set on two-way forwards. We need someone that puts the puck in the net.

Girgensons provides something different than those players though, and it's desperation in his game. He's got that Pat Kaleta, "I'll block a shot with my face if I have to" attitude, but he can actually play, too. I'll just say id be very hesitant to move on from him. And I do think he's a Tim Murray type of player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad