Roster Speculation: 2018 Offseason Pt. 6 -- Training Camp Begins 9/13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I am curious how much value Botts is saving by taking on those type of contracts, and eating up salary cap at a time where we're not close to competing, which is not a good thing to be at this point, IMO.
I think that question may be answered to some extent based on how the opening roster shakes out. Since that'll kinda decide if he wants to play the hungry kids and try to push things forward this year, or keep the underperforming vets around for another year to let Rochester/development flourish at the cost of the Sabres.

He may feel they can be competitive (not for a Cup, just in general) this year if he goes the youth route... and as the team progresses the next year or two, cap will steadily free up to pay the guys that get us there.

Last edited:

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Season starts a week from today, and tomorrow is the last preseason game. Gotta think we'll see some significant cuts this weekend right? Or waives? If not all of them?

Ygo

Oct 19, 2015
Not my opinion on lines, just what i think we will see the Sabres do (JB's opinion of Mitts is a hard read right now though).

Forwards:
Based on the feeling that Mitts has not earned a roster spot and a willingness to try 23 a center (dude drives play and the team needs something to click here). If the Sabres cannot put a formidable 2nd scoring line together they are in the same boat again this year. Also, requires Eich to drive play with lesser line mates.

Sheary - Eich - Thompson (#9 should be able to carry this group - oZone heavy)
Skinner - 23 - Pommer (Can #23 win face-offs? - Skinner can be dynamic while 23/29 get the puck)
Girgs - Bergs - Okposo (Heavy lifting... hopefully some modest offensive contributions)
Wilson - Sobotka - Erod (Same as above... the bottom 6 that are going, get more ice)
Larson, B or B

Defence:
Heck, not a lot better with the exception of adding Dahlin (who hopefully by mid-season proves he can drive some play from the back end). Otherwise, no one in this group can consistently move the puck (Pilut and Dahlin showed what puck movement looks like in flashes - quick decisions, hit the stick with passes on the fly and jump into the play appropriately). I can't see the Sabres keeping Pilut up, but, in my opinion he has earned it - More so than any of the young forwards.

Scandella - Risto (Shut down??? Yikes)
Dahlin - McCabe (Try to get 26 favorable deployment early)
82 - Nelson (Pilut deserves to be playing here - likely starts in Roch)
Hunwick IR?, Bogo IR? (Bogo is in if healthy - likely see Nelson out)

Mitts/Nylander/Smith/Olofson/Baptiste/Bailey/O's - Play for promotion
Pilut/Guhle (Borgen is a long shot here) - Play for Promotion

If this season starts out rough, get as many of the young guys in the lineup as possible and let these guys have fun - score some goals! Pilut and Guhle can be positive replacements on the back end. Mitts, Nylander, Smith, Olofson... go create and score goals. So we give up some goals along the way... at least we get to cheer through the game while losing lol.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
using Reinhart at center makes as much sense as when we tried to force Myers to become Chara when he was on his way to being an elite offensive defenseman. It is trying to force a square peg into a round hole

Reactions: normaliswear

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Reinhart doesn't even like playing center and was upset last year when he played it. He knows his success and paycheck at this level are on the wing.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
ROR's contract wasn't the problem, it was the perceived locker room issue. People that were thrilled he was gone weren't complaining about his contract, they were happy "such a quitter is gone", or "we don't need that attitude in this room". Contract had NOTHING to do with it. That's not even going to mention that contract's like ROR's usually have a NMC or NTC attached. ROR's did not, he could've moved it ANY time without constraints, and didn't need to take on contracts of 2 and 4 years with the same cap hit, but older players.

Foligno was a RFA without a contract.

The only contract he got rid of was Ennis' which he would've been a UFA at the end of THIS year, and in return he took on Pominville's contract which ends THIS year. So that was a wash.

We got out form under Ennis and Foligno and my point about ROR was the 5 years remaining not the contract today.
You have no idea what Botts was thinking when he traded ROR and maybe he was concerned about his game in years 3-5.
I'm thrilled with the flexibility we have towards Mitts and Dahlin as Sobotka comes off in 2 years or sooner....
I watched the Blues 3-0 loss the other night and ROR kept winning draws and looks slow as ever.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
using Reinhart at center makes as much sense as when we tried to force Myers to become Chara when he was on his way to being an elite offensive defenseman. It is trying to force a square peg into a round hole

Myers, Elite offensive defenseman...That's a new one.

Not sure how that square peg in that round hole was able to produce 319 points in 250 games in Juniors.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
We got out form under Ennis and Foligno and my point about ROR was the 5 years remaining not the contract today.
You have no idea what Botts was thinking when he traded ROR and maybe he was concerned about his game in years 3-5.
I'm thrilled with the flexibility we have towards Mitts and Dahlin as Sobotka comes off in 2 years or sooner....
I watched the Blues 3-0 loss the other night and ROR kept winning draws and looks slow as ever.

You're right, I don't know what he was thinking, I can use the information I have based on what is said, and that the trade was based around culture and his attitude in the room, supposedly.

But it's quite interesting to think about what STL is thinking taking ROR on for years 3-5. Surely you would think they would be worried, and just think about what they must be thinking when they actively called Botts. Botts must've got one over them.

Even if Botts is worried about years 3-5 for ROR, why not WAIT an extra year when you have a better grasp on what your development depth is looking like instead of just hoping Mittelstadt is ready, like it looks like they did.

You mean that flexibility that would've came handy at the end of year 4 (for Mittelstadt) and at the end of year 5 (Dahlin) for ROR? That's an interesting spin. Surely they could find salary somewhere else (Like Bogosian coming off the books).

Reactions: Mitts888

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Season starts a week from today, and tomorrow is the last preseason game. Gotta think we'll see some significant cuts this weekend right? Or waives? If not all of them?

I'm thinking today.

Over the weekend, I looked for a published NHL-wide date, or some clause in the CBA linked to an opening night, etc., as to when the waivers must be completed by, yet I found nothing.

I'm sure there is a league-wide rule, and I assume it is linked to a date and not linked to when a team plays its first game.

Ygo

Oct 19, 2015

One of the few Sabres who drove play (below)... Agree it is a risk (based on past experimentation), but, worth trying - not to mention, the line mate options are stronger especially if you line him up with Skinner (heck, he might be a top 2 center Skinner has played with). The key here is to give it a try... Sabres do not have to be married to it, they have to try something if the team is going to climb out of the bottom 3 - another season with one line that can create opportunities will not be successful. Maybe Mitts can fill that spot, but, not optimistic for that this season. The other option is to hope Dahlin drives play more than we should probably expect.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Asplund and Oloffson never really made a push for a spot, come to think of it the only Pilut is the only former SHL player who has had a strong camp.

Reactions: sufferer

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
You're right, I don't know what he was thinking, I can use the information I have based on what is said, and that the trade was based around culture and his attitude in the room, supposedly.

But it's quite interesting to think about what STL is thinking taking ROR on for years 3-5. Surely you would think they would be worried, and just think about what they must be thinking when they actively called Botts. Botts must've got one over them.

Even if Botts is worried about years 3-5 for ROR, why not WAIT an extra year when you have a better grasp on what your development depth is looking like instead of just hoping Mittelstadt is ready, like it looks like they did.

You mean that flexibility that would've came handy at the end of year 4 (for Mittelstadt) and at the end of year 5 (Dahlin) for ROR? That's an interesting spin. Surely they could find salary somewhere else (Like Bogosian coming off the books).

Points taken. Honestly, my first thought when the trade was made was "thank goodness that contract is gone".
We will have more flexibility in 2 years to add a contract/ UFA when we could/should/hope.... we start to contend.

Guess there are lots of perspectives.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
dupe

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
And I'm bummed about Asplund, but he tailed off the hot start and struggled enough in the last two games (who can blame him, that lineup against that team last night is tough) that it makes sense to have him be the guy at C in Rochester. He'll be raring and ready to go before this season is up and will be better for the experience.

Reactions: sabrebuild
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad