Roster Speculation, 2018 offseason Part 2/ On the cusp of free agency edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
What a bunch of neigh sayers we have....
Dude. He might be f***ing Lidstrom someday. He is not Lidstrom today. That is not the naysaying position. That is being in reality. He is not going to look outstanding or carry his pairing on day 1. He is going to struggle for at least a little while and if he's tied to a liability he's going to be tempted to play outside of himself all the more to compensate. I think he is very likely to become the best defenseman in franchise history, but he will not be on October 5. Learning to play in the right environment will have a lot to do with whether he gets to that level.

Reactions: TheStorm

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
He might struggle more than the average established player, or he might not. The guy's a special talent, and he doesn't have to be Lidstrom now to excel.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'm not against pairing him with Scandella, if the other top-4 pairing isn't a disaster (ie Risto-Bogo/last season McCabe/not ready Guhle). Here's the thing though, regardless of who Dahlin is paired with there's going to be a lot of mess all over the ice that he's going to have to fight through and learn through. Odds are Housley doesn't do a much better job than last season too, so Dahlin is going to have some adversity no matter what. Until proven otherwise, the team is a gong-show. We shouldn't expect much out of any new guys, until maybe December.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I'm wondering that myself

Barring trades......

-We'll have 10 forwards I expect on the NHL roster: Jack, ROR, Sam, Mitts, Okposo, Sheary, Erod, Pommer, Larsson and Girgs.

Guys battling for spots at forward: CJ Smith, Bailey, Baptiste, Olofsson, Oglvie, Asplund, Nylander

-We'll also have 8 dmen: Dahlin, Risto, Scandella, Bogo, McCabe, Beaulieu, Nelson and Hunwick

Guys battling for spots on defense: Guhle, Pilut, Borgen and maybe Hickey if he signs.

Looks like a decent amount of opportunity up front but not much on the backend.

Looking at these lists, and all the kids at camp...we need one more year to develop and shed old contracts...but there sure is a wave coming

Reactions: Mitts888

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I have a feeling we'll have a lot less McCabe defenders next season. We don't depend on his success very much anymore. LD is becoming a strong suit once again.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yes he signed an ATO with Rochester. Which is great for him. I think with his showing today he has a legit crack at Rochester to continue his time in Buffalo. I love this kids motor and his attitude is what you want. One of the best examples that Russian players are just as much in love with the game of hockey as the next.

Glotov's ATO with Rochester expired. He is currently still Sabres property due to being drafted out of the MHL and they have 2 more years of control but he is without a contract within the organization.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
A few thoughts...I’ll wait to comment on roster till maybe the 4th.

With D buffalo has on the roster right now...risto, dahlin, scandella, bogo, McCabe, Hunwick, beaulieu, and Nelson.

I think they sign/acquire another Dman.

I don’t see Guhke starting with the Sabres.

I’d prefer to have dahlin start in Rochester for half the season. Then he doesn’t have an accrued season which blocks him from offer sheets and would have him still be exempt if expansion draft moves to 2021

In 2020 buffalo has Nelson, Hunwick, bogo, scandella as UFAs, beaulieu would be UFA in 2020, mccabe hits UFA in 2021. That’s 5 slits to fill. In system there is guhle, Borgen, puilt, possibly hickey, and a few other D prospects.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
And Vanek has been gone over any number of times - if the team is talking about speed and defense, he's not the guy. At all.

Assuming you can get him for 1 year at a low number. Do they need speed and defense, yes. But they really need finish too.

With some assumptions.

Sheary Eichel RoR
Olofsson Reinhart Mitts
Vanek Erod Okposo
Girgs Larson Baptiste

Now I assumed no Riley Nash style pick up, but if

RoR Eichel Reinhart
Sheary Mitts Okposo
Girgs Nash Erod
Vanek Larson Baptiste

I think you could add him and pick up the scoring without weakening team speed.

Last edited:

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Assuming you can get him for 1 year at a low number. Do they need speed and defense, yes. But they really need finish too.

With some assumptions.

olofsson Eichel RoR
erod Reinhart Okposo
Vanek Mitts Girgs
Wilson Larson Baptiste

Now I assumed no Riley Nash style pick up, but if

RoR Eichel Reinhart
Erod Mitts Okposo
Girgs Nash Baptiste
Vanek Larson Smith/Wilson

I think you could add him and pick up the scoring without weakening team speed.

Where is Sheary ??? We didn’t trade a 3rd round pick for him to sit in the press box

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Dude. He might be ****ing Lidstrom someday. He is not Lidstrom today. That is not the naysaying position. That is being in reality. He is not going to look outstanding or carry his pairing on day 1. He is going to struggle for at least a little while and if he's tied to a liability he's going to be tempted to play outside of himself all the more to compensate. I think he is very likely to become the best defenseman in franchise history, but he will not be on October 5. Learning to play in the right environment will have a lot to do with whether he gets to that level.
Honestly! "Neigh sayers" was a pun after reference to stable defence. I do know what nay saying is and how it is spelled.

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
Babel, JVR, do you guys understand that these are slow, play near the net type players. That’s not what this coach and GM want. You’re not moving Okposo, So why add another cement foot type player to mix?

Captain Holt

Fun? I was never fun! You take that back
Jul 10, 2013
Buffalo
I’m sure it’s been brought up but I don’t feel like looking for it. Do we know what time tomorrow that we pay ROR his bonus? Is it midnight? Noon? Do I wake up to a sweet trade at 6 am?

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
I read somewhere it is payable at midnight so you could awaken to a world in which ROR is no longer a Sabre.

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
I’d prefer to have dahlin start in Rochester for half the season. Then he doesn’t have an accrued season which blocks him from offer sheets and would have him still be exempt if expansion draft moves to 2021

I've read a lot of dumb things throughout the years on here....but this takes the cake.

Kudos

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I’m sure it’s been brought up but I don’t feel like looking for it. Do we know what time tomorrow that we pay ROR his bonus? Is it midnight? Noon? Do I wake up to a sweet trade at 6 am?
LeBrun said the bonus was payable after midnight tonight. So 6:00am it is! Lol

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Apparently we're interested in JVR... I swear if we give 6M per year to a Jamie McGinn I'm gonna lose my shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce