Roster Speculation 2017-2018, Episode IV, A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I want to see Rodrigues get a good long look as Eichel's winger this year. He's one of the best passers on the team and could really boost Jack's goal production on the way to being a very good top six wing for us going forward.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Defend better? Lol
Some of make Sam out to be the 2nd coming of Datsyuk.
And this has NOTHING to do with MYSELF feeling better. You want to improve the roster with impact players? You have to give to get.
Reinhart isn't going to center in case your one of those still dreaming the dream. At least not here in Buffalo. Jack, Ryan, Zemgus/Johan down the middle for lines 1, 2 and 3.
We have a plethora of young RW'ers/RH shots in Baptiste, Bailey, Nylander and Fasching.
If Kane isn't re-signed, regardless if traded or not, who's your LH shot LW,er? Ennis? Lol

The fact is, were short on LW and defense.

It's funny you think Reinhart won't beat out Zemgus/Johan out for a #3 Center spot.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
It's funny you think Reinhart won't beat out Zemgus/Johan out for a #3 Center spot.

Zemgod and Larsson will be MUCH cheaper. Reinahrt gives you a good trade return in terms of D. Zemgod and Larsson will be on cheaper contract and have low trade value. No brainer who the better overall option for 3C is even if Reinhart is the better player. That's not the only thing that matters.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Zemgod and Larsson will be MUCH cheaper. Reinahrt gives you a good trade return in terms of D. Zemgod and Larsson will be on cheaper contract and have low trade value. No brainer who the better overall option for 3C is even if Reinhart is the better player. That's not the only thing that matters.

I wonder why Zemgus and Larsson will be cheaper than Reinhart?

1qzv3m.jpg

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Kind of surprised we're not seeing more deals this week. I'll be disappointed if the Sabres can't poach someone by tomorrow. This is our biggest opportunity of the summer to grab a defenseman.

I gather from the boards that some posters were unaware that tomorrow is the deadline -- look sharp! This is our TDL, guys!

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Because that was the argument I was making...

Last edited:

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Why do people not want the center version of Nashville defense?

Cause we pretty much have it without Reinhart? Larsson and Zemgod are above average bottom 6 centers and you don't have to break the bank for either of them which is a nice bonus. Jack and ROR are above average top 6 centers. Give them good support from the back as PH has been speaking about and semi-decent wingers and you are alright...oh and average to above-average goaltending (i.e. not Lehner)...

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
If that happens, here's what's left for Wingers:

I count Okposo, Ennis, Moulson, Carrier, Foligno, Baptiste, Nylander, Fasching, Smith, Zemgus/Reinhart (depending who goes 3C).

There is no depth beyond these in case of injury that is remotely NHL-ready + we have to give someone to Vegas.

If what you are proposing happens we will have to get some winger UFAs it seems. And it better be cap-friendly signing cause we will be very close to the cap unless we can dump someone on Vegas like Moulson.

LW UFA's class that may come relatively cheap and is not nearly 40:
Versteeg, Kunitz, Korpikoski, Upshall, Stalberg

RW UFA's class that may come relatively cheap and is not nearly 40:
Williams, Parenteau, Stafford, Wingels, Pitlick

It's kinda ugly...

Kinda good that GMJB built two Cup winners without having great wingers.

Centers>Defense>Goalie>wingers

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Cause we pretty much have it without Reinhart? Larsson and Zemgod are above average bottom 6 centers and you don't have to break the bank for either of them which is a nice bonus. Jack and ROR are above average top 6 centers. Give them good support from the back as PH has been speaking about and semi-decent wingers and you are alright...oh and average to above-average goaltending (i.e. not Lehner)...

Having a player of Reinhart's caliber on the third line wins playoff series. You need to have a trump card, some way to abuse the opposition. And there is no team in the league that will match up favorably down the middle.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
His point was exactly what I explained, not that Zemgod is better than Sam. No one is stupid enough to say that and he didn't either.

Their comment:

Reinhart isn't going to center in case your one of those still dreaming the dream. At least not here in Buffalo. Jack, Ryan, Zemgus/Johan down the middle for lines 1, 2 and 3.

My Comment:

Seems pretty cut and dry what he said and what I was disagreeing with.

But if you want to discuss value, of course Reinhart has the highest value. It's not even close. We're still in the process of building a team, and you do your best to keep your high valued players on your roster, and you make moves to build your team with your lesser pieces until you can AFFORD to make the moves with your high value players. We can't do that yet. Let's fix the D using other optional moves (UFAs, Lesser Trades, Drafting).

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Their comment:
Let's fix the D using other optional moves (UFAs, Lesser Trades, Drafting).

UFA class is shocking and UFAs are hard on the cap and we have enough **** contracts short term anyway to deal with. Lesser trades are 1 possibility. Drafting will be like 3 years, I don't have the patience for this and from hearing the GM and HC it seems they are tentatively looking at making the playoffs and getting BPA with our pick, which tells me that it is probably too long term solution for them too.

Also I am not in favort of spending 5mil on 3rd liner center when I can pay Zemgod and Larsson half that and get Hanifin back. It just doesn't make sense from asset management point of view.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
The other value to keeping reinhart is that you still have a strong center spine in 5 years, when ROR is past 30. Depending on how long it takes to build the defense, that might do a lot to lengthen your window.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
UFA class is shocking and UFAs are hard on the cap and we have enough **** contracts short term anyway to deal with. Lesser trades are 1 possibility. Drafting will be like 3 years, I don't have the patience for this and from hearing the GM and HC it seems they are tentatively looking at making the playoffs and getting BPA with our pick, which tells me that it is probably too long term solution for them too.

Also I am not in favort of spending 5mil on 3rd liner center when I can pay Zemgod and Larsson half that and get Hanifin back. It just doesn't make sense from asset management point of view.
What did the number 3 do to you.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
What did the number 3 do to you.

I'd rather give 5 mil to a 2D or 3D long term than to a 3C if I can get an average NHL 3C like Zemgod/Larsson on half-that AAV. Just my preference, again nothing against Rainhert, simply better asset management for me. And Reinhart will not break Buff's top 1C/2C in the next 5 years without serious injury to ROR or Eichel...

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
This plan some of you have for Reinhart to be a 3C is just weird, a $5-5.5M third line center, this doesn't even exist in the league but we're gonna be smarter than everybody else :sarcasm:

He was drafted to be a center and no team that drafted him would ever consider him to be a 3C. We either immediately begin developing him to be our 2C or we trade him. ROR moves to the wing, he's a great winger/center.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
This plan some of you have for Reinhart to be a 3C is just weird, a $5-5.5M third line center, this doesn't even exist in the league but we're gonna be smarter than everybody else :sarcasm:

He was drafted to be a center and no team that drafted him would ever consider him to be a 3C. We either immediately begin developing him to be our 2C or we trade him. ROR moves to the wing, he's a great winger/center.

That's the only situation that sees him staying here IMO. If ROR goes wing and Sam centres him. It's a possibility, but don't think it is as likely as GM and coach thinking they can get Hanifin for Sam and starting building that type of D that PH seems to want.

Everything else is IMO some illusions of people obsessed with keeping their draft toy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad