Roster Speculation 2017-2018, Episode IV, A New Hope

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Not bad at all (and I didn't like he pick much)

Also: Nylander played in a higher league than Sergachev last year...

Also also: who cares about drouin. I'd rather have Serg.

Yep. Nylander would not have been my pick at the time, but he's still a helluva prospect in his own right.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
So, after Housley touting both Moulson and Ennis during both his presser and WGR interview, clearly we're protecting both, right? :laugh:

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Does bogosian do more than act as a pylon under housley?

I have to think so. I just don't see him not improving. He'll probably still be awful in the d-zone but I really want to think PH will capitalize on his offensive abilities.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

I have to think so. I just don't see him not improving. He'll probably still be awful in the d-zone but I really want to think PH will capitalize on his offensive abilities.

If there's anyone that can revive Bogosian's career, it's him. An up tempo, aggressive system is exactly what he needs.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
If there's anyone that can revive Bogosian's career, it's him. An up tempo, aggressive system is exactly what he needs.

I think Housley is exactly what Bogo needs. I think he'll end up being overpaid, but a still functional guy this year.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Your dodging. The team could do better was clearly stated.

In not a Reinhart hater if your wondering. This had everything to do with improving the team. Its perfectly ok if others disagree, but jeez, post an opinion, get kicked in the ass for it, then chide a bit for the opinion and all of sudden its blasphemy lol
Ok, so how are we going to go about getting a better player? who is that player? We need a player that can produce better and defend better at the cost of what? Just so YOU can feel that this certain player makes the team better. I am very curious how you can make the team better with one of our best defensive players and our top 3 scorer.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
If Bogosian can return to the form he showed in that first 21 game stint he had as a Sabre after being acquired then we just added another top 4 dman to add to Risto and McCabe. (And possibly Antipin) I mean, Bogo was playing nearly 27 mins a game and had the best possession #s among any of our dmen in that dreadful 14-15 year. Granted Risto was still pretty green and the rest of the roster was terrible but Bogosian was included in that mega trade for a reason. He was a top 4 dman once upon a time. It's worth waiting one more year to see if he can return to that form, especially since we have zero cap issues whatsoever for 17-18. Worst comes to worst Bogo continues to disappoint and we move on in the summer of 2018 when we need the space for Eichel and Reinharts new deals. But maybe, just maybe Housley can reinvigorate Bogosians career and he returns to being a smooth skating big physical D with snarl that we sorely lack.

Another reason why I'm all for keeping Bogo at least one more year is his handedness. Whenever I play armchair GM and go about acquiring Dmen, guys like Brodin,Hanifin, Alzner etc they all seem to shoot left. Yes, our best D is a RHD. Yes our main need on D is a top pairing LHD...but outside of Risto we don't have either a current NHL dman or someone in the pipeline who is a RHD outside of Bogo. Even Antipin who is a RD is a left handed shot. So we may need to keep Bogo around....look around and a lot of teams fans say right handed D is the hardest D to find. We got our RD1 secured, but if Bogo can return to form it would make our D that much better having a big, strong, smooth skating RD2 signed long term who is just turning 27.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

Bogosian isn't going to develop anymore, but to think that he can't improve upon the last two seasons under Bylsma is ridiculous.

Bogosian is going to be tasked to play a much more simple game where he doesn't have to think about options(in his wheelhouse), a game that pushes the puck up the ice(again, in his wheelhouse). Not to mention there SHOULD be a better defensive team game that will support the players better, so when he does make a mistake, it won't hurt THAT much, which in turn will lead to Bogosian playing his type of defensive game of throwing the body around, something we saw under Nolan.

Not to mention we should see more pinching from the defense more often which also fits Bogosian's game.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
So... does Housely help build the defense from a recruiting standpoint? i.e. college FA, UFA, etc?

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Ok, so how are we going to go about getting a better player? who is that player? We need a player that can produce better and defend better at the cost of what? Just so YOU can feel that this certain player makes the team better. I am very curious how you can make the team better with one of our best defensive players and our top 3 scorer.

Defend better? Lol
Some of make Sam out to be the 2nd coming of Datsyuk.
And this has NOTHING to do with MYSELF feeling better. You want to improve the roster with impact players? You have to give to get.
Reinhart isn't going to center in case your one of those still dreaming the dream. At least not here in Buffalo. Jack, Ryan, Zemgus/Johan down the middle for lines 1, 2 and 3.
We have a plethora of young RW'ers/RH shots in Baptiste, Bailey, Nylander and Fasching.
If Kane isn't re-signed, regardless if traded or not, who's your LH shot LW,er? Ennis? Lol

The fact is, were short on LW and defense.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Sign cheap LW in FA.

No smart team wastes assets on wingers.

There are other ways to improve the defense, just look at the cup winners, how many IMPACT defenders did they have?
They got a got collection of usefull guys that got to play to their strenghts, that's what we should look for not trading away one of our biggest building blocks.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Sabres could get healthy on D quick, if some of the recent reports and speculation are true.

8OA, Bailey, Borgen for Brodin.
Kane+ for Muzzin.

Muzzin - Ristolainen
Brodin - Bogosian
McCabe - Antipin

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Sign cheap LW in FA.

There are other ways to improve the defense, just look at the cup winners, how many IMPACT defenders did they have?
They got a got collection of usefull guys that got to play to their strenghts, that's what we should look for not trading away one of our biggest building blocks.

Hey Montreal just traded for Drou.......oh, i get it.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Sign cheap LW in FA.

Not that I'm advocating trading for a winger...but c'mon. Is Kessel not a winger, and is Pittsburgh not smart?

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
Not that I'm advocating trading for a winger...but c'mon. Is Kessel not a winger, and is Pittsburgh not smart?

They also have crosby and Malkin. And won a cup before Kessel, rest of their wingers are plug and play.

If we trade Kane we can spend some money on wingers, but right now it is not the right time to look for a winger that costs a lot.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Sabres could get healthy on D quick, if some of the recent reports and speculation are true.

8OA, Bailey, Borgen for Brodin.
Kane+ for Muzzin.

Muzzin - Ristolainen
Brodin - Bogosian
McCabe - Antipin

If that happens, here's what's left for Wingers:

I count Okposo, Ennis, Moulson, Carrier, Foligno, Baptiste, Nylander, Fasching, Smith, Zemgus/Reinhart (depending who goes 3C).

There is no depth beyond these in case of injury that is remotely NHL-ready + we have to give someone to Vegas.

If what you are proposing happens we will have to get some winger UFAs it seems. And it better be cap-friendly signing cause we will be very close to the cap unless we can dump someone on Vegas like Moulson.

LW UFA's class that may come relatively cheap and is not nearly 40:
Versteeg, Kunitz, Korpikoski, Upshall, Stalberg

RW UFA's class that may come relatively cheap and is not nearly 40:
Williams, Parenteau, Stafford, Wingels, Pitlick

It's kinda ugly...

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
If that happens, here's what's left for Wingers:

I count Okposo, Ennis, Moulson, Carrier, Foligno, Baptiste, Nylander, Fasching, Smith, Zemgus/Reinhart (depending who goes 3C).

There is no depth beyond these in case of injury that is remotely NHL-ready + we have to give someone to Vegas.

If what you are proposing happens we will have to get some winger UFAs it seems. And it better be cap-friendly signing cause we will be very close to the cap unless we can dump someone on Vegas like Moulson.

LW UFA's class that may come relatively cheap and is not nearly 40:
Versteeg, Kunitz, Korpikoski, Upshall, Stalberg

RW UFA's class that may come relatively cheap and is not nearly 40:
Williams, Parenteau, Stafford, Wingels, Pitlick

It's kinda ugly...
Too many if's with the expansion draft coming, and I dunno anything about Muzzin/Brodin but swap them out for comparable D upgrades/packages if needed... lets try this for funsies.

Let's say Sam gets his chance at 3C next year. One of Ennis/Moulson to Vegas.

Carrier - ROR - Okposo
Girgensons - Eichel - ERod/Baptiste
Ennis/Moulson - Reinhart - Williams (2x3m)
Foligno - Larsson - Gionta (1x1m)
x Deslauriers
Roch: ERod/Baptiste, Nylander, Fasching

Muzzin - Ristolainen
Brodin - Bogosian
McCabe - Antipin

This doesn't scare me that much. Buy some time for kids like Asplund/Pu to land or a better FA year. Our wing situation is ugly at best even with no trades, thankfully they're the easiest to find.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad