Roster Speculation 2017-18 Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler2829

Jun 20, 2009
Rochester, NY
I protect Ullmark. I do not want to pay 4 million a year for 4 years for Lehner when still not sure what we have with him. There are a lot of goalies in and around his skill set that will be available and likely cheaper. Protect ROR,Okposo, Kane, Girgensons, Foligno, Carriere, and Larsson. Protect Risto, McCabe and Falk. Now Vegas will have to take money off our payroll if I have this figured right--and someone will tell me if I am wrong!

Or maybe Vegas signs Kulikov during their FA window. Then we're stuck with all the bad contracts. :laugh:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
The Sabres goaltending depth is shallow right now.

If they were to lose both Petersen and Ullmark, that would pretty much just leave them with Kasdorf and Johansson in the pipeline and that is it.

Although, that wouldn't be the worst situation in the world to recover from.

Step 1 would be to draft a goalie or two in the 2017 Draft after not taking a goalie in 2016 or 2015.

Step 2 would be signing both a backup for Lehner and a vet for Rochester to push Kasdorf and Johansson and make them earn playing time. Also, that would provide depth in the event that a goalie in Buffalo goes down.

I would add "mine the European professional ranks," as well.

Even if Ullmark is not selected by Vegas, I think Botterill will bring in a vet goaltender on a one-year deal (Condon?). If Ullmark beats him out for the backup spot, great, and they'll move the vet backup for a late pick like Pittsburgh did this season with Condon. More likely, Ullmark gets another full season in Rochester to show what he's made of behind what should be a much-improved club.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I would add "mine the European professional ranks," as well.

Even if Ullmark is not selected by Vegas, I think Botterill will bring in a vet goaltender on a one-year deal (Condon?). If Ullmark beats him out for the backup spot, great, and they'll move the vet backup for a late pick like Pittsburgh did this season with Condon. More likely, Ullmark gets another full season in Rochester to show what he's made of behind what should be a much-improved club.

FA from either the NCAA, CHL, or Europe is always an area to look, as well.

Budaj and Condon could be a fit. Chad Johnson or re-signing Nilsson could be interesting.

And from a pure AHL depth perspective, Mike McKenna might be a good fit to give the kids a mentor.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Give Lehner a 1 year deal and tell Cal Peterson he is the future. See if he signs. I wouldn't be against trading Lehner perhaps to Las Vegas? Not sure we would get the value back or what Kind of Goalies will be available to LV.

LetsDoughBuffalo

Apr 4, 2014
What are the odds that Peters or Rivet ask Baker if he has any sort of feeling on the Estephan or Petersen situations?

Bakes is on The Instigators at the moment.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
What are the odds that Peters or Rivet ask Baker if he has any sort of feeling on the Estephan or Petersen situations?

Bakes is on The Instigators at the moment.

If you tweet at them, they will. ;)

edit... and have Peters call you pushy on the air. :biglaugh:

Last edited:

LetsDoughBuffalo

Apr 4, 2014
If you tweet at them, they will. ;)

edit... and have Peters call you pushy on the air. :biglaugh:

Welp - let's not hold our breath...

Not that Bakes is exactly an "insider" but he didn't exactly sound confident about either guy signing. He pretty much thinks that Petersen is as good as gone.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Welp - let's not hold our breath...

Not that Bakes is exactly an "insider" but he didn't exactly sound confident about either guy signing. He pretty much thinks that Petersen is as good as gone.

He talks to a lot of people in and around the different programs. Sounds like the Chicago angle is there.

Interesting bit on Malone. If he can stay healthy, he has that sort of jam missing from much of the current lineup.

As a followup, I tweeted at them about Hurley's off-ice departure from Notre Dame.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
So this interview? What is the "Chicago angle"? Does that mean Petersen wants to play for the dying Blackhawks?

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Said buffalo did everything right with him since they drafted him but thinks he will bolt to chicago anyway.

Which is what some of us have been saying since he went back this year.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Give Lehner a 1 year deal and tell Cal Peterson he is the future. See if he signs. I wouldn't be against trading Lehner perhaps to Las Vegas? Not sure we would get the value back or what Kind of Goalies will be available to LV.

And how do you go about making Lehner sign said 1-year contract that he'll have absolutely no intention of agreeing to?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I am getting sick of college NCAA players.

We absolutely need Ullmark now, maybe we can make some kind of trade with Blackhawks for Petersons rights like we did with Vesey and Nashville.

We already have one young NHL goalie. As much as it would suck to lose both Ullmark and Petersen it isn't as if we can't just get a back-up goalie to pair with Lehner. There is plenty of time to do something else for the future.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
He talks to a lot of people in and around the different programs. Sounds like the Chicago angle is there.

Interesting bit on Malone. If he can stay healthy, he has that sort of jam missing from much of the current lineup.

As a followup, I tweeted at them about Hurley's off-ice departure from Notre Dame.

Perhaps it's a bit vindictive, but if Chicago does sign Petersen, I'd like to see Buffalo punch back at the Blackhawks next offseason with an offer sheet to Hartman or TvR (if he's still there). Between Bowman going to see Vesey in the summer league last year while we held his rights, and the rumor that they were one of the teams trying to poach Antipin after the Sabres fired Murray, **** those guys. And I'm tired of his colleagues bailing out Bowman and the Hawks - save Doug Wilson - by taking on their bad contracts and not offer-sheeting their players.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Again, there was zero reason for a player who was repeatedly healthy scratched down the stretch and in the playoffs to eagerly sign on given their cap and roster situation.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Perhaps it's a bit vindictive, but if Chicago does sign Petersen, I'd like to see Buffalo punch back at the Blackhawks next offseason with an offer sheet to Hartman or TvR (if he's still there). Between Bowman going to see Vesey in the summer league last year while we held his rights, and the rumor that they were one of the teams trying to poach Antipin after the Sabres fired Murray, **** those guys. And I'm tired of his colleagues bailing out Bowman and the Hawks - save Doug Wilson - by taking on their bad contracts and not offer-sheeting their players.

Yup.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Not vindictive at all. I've thought they should go after Kempny too. Take advantage of the fact they've put themselves over a barrel.

And I hate Bowman for being a Bowman. Scotty can still go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Not vindictive at all. I've thought they should go after Kempny too. Take advantage of the fact they've put themselves over a barrel.

And I hate Bowman for being a Bowman. Scotty can still go to hell as far as I'm concerned.

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/05/31...ike-deal-with-vegas-ahead-of-expansion-draft/

According to TSN’s Frank Seravalli, the ‘Hawks may “allow†the Vegas Golden Knights to select defenseman Trevor van Riemsdyk in the draft, as long as the Knights also take forward Marcus Kruger in a trade.

The ‘Hawks cannot reasonably protect van Riemsdyk anyway, what with Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook, and Niklas Hjalmarsson requiring protection. But the ‘Hawks could try to trade van Riemsdyk to a team that could protect him, assuming they could find one.

Kruger is signed for two more years at a cap hit just north of $3 million. The 27-year-old forward has a good defensive reputation, but his offensive upside is limited.

Apparently Vegas might be helping them out this offseason...

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
if the sabres were to take on kari lehtonen's contract for 1 year, what else would dallas need to swap 1sts with buffalo?

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
And how do you go about making Lehner sign said 1-year contract that he'll have absolutely no intention of agreeing to?

He doesn't have a choice. What will he do sit out for the year? Come on, what kind of leverage do you think this guy has? We have his rights for 2 years.

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
I think we'd have to add in that scenario. Jumping from 8th to 3rd in one shot doesn't just cost Lehtonen's cap hit.

i know we would have to add. i'm asking what, in addition to lehtonen's contract, would buffalo have to add.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
i know we would have to add. i'm asking what, in addition to lehtonen's contract, would buffalo have to add.

I misunderstood your post. No real idea what they would want from us to move up to 3rd overall, but it's interesting. They would probably want too much to make it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad