Roster Speculation 2016-17 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
Given that 82-15-12 is currently a thing, I'm pretty sure we all know better than the coach when it comes to line combos.

Yes. We take our best offensive player who is dangerous every time he rushes up ice and put Foligno and Gionta with him?

Jack needs to dump and chase more seems to be the Bylsma message here.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Ennis has no business being on the 1st line. I can't wait until Carrier is back.

Also it's funny how Bylsma says he "has to change things" but the only actual new line combo is the 4th :D

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
So what happened to bogo? The sabres aren't even getting the physical stuff out of him any more. Is he playing a safe game to avoid injury?

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I hate that we're still looking at the same defense. Its hard to get excited for any game when you see the inevitable mess that is our defensive play.

Not just Franson and Kulikov either. Bogosian and Gorges need to go. Fedun and Falk would be better.

Bogosian is hit or miss, which isn't good enough given his cap hit.

I hope next year we're looking at

McCabe -------- Risto
Trade/UFA------ Trade/UFA
Falk--------------Franson/Fedun

The fact that we have $13.3M locked up in Gorges, Kuli, and Bogo is crazy.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Franson has been our third best defenseman, is vastly preferable to Bogosian going forward, and is perfectly fine in that Leopold/Montador 4/5 role.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
In case anyone was interested, Derrick Pouliot was called up and played for pittsburgh last night. Just bringing it up because there's been some interest/talk here about the sabres possibly taking a flyer on him at some point.

Dude still looks like he'll never be an NHLer. It was his first game up since 12/28. He had 21 shifts and 14:45 TOI. No points but also no GA while he was on the ice. I didn't see him make and big mistakes last night (he did have a couple bad plays that I missed, according to pens fans), but I wasn't impressed either. He seemed to always make the safe play (usually dumps/clears that gave away possession) and that stuck out negatively on a team like the pens that usually do a much better job taking care of the puck. He didn't seem at all dangerous offensively which is disappointing since that's supposed to be his strong suit. I thought he looked bigger and slower than I remembered, not soft, but not particularly physical either. Ruhwedel has looked way better for the pens since his first game than pouliot did last night.

I perused the pens post game thread looking for opinions and they're pretty split between "sucks/bust/career AHLer" and "not as bad as others make it seem". Main criticisms against are poor skating/speed and poor IQ (which exacerbates the poor speed issue). Was described as (paraphrasing) talented, no toolbox by some. Others seemed worried that he seemed to sacrifice his offense to be a better all around dman but ended up mediocre at both. The best anybody had to say about him was that other players were bigger problems for the pens and the typical stuff about how long it takes some dmen to get it together and figure it out/develop and he's not a finished product yet.

I'm siding with the career AHLer crowd. I see little to suggest opportunity/change of scenery would make any difference. He's an RFA after this year, wouldn't surprise me if he's not even qualified.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
I think that we're going to get our puck-moving d-man via the draft. We'll likely be picking top-10, if not top-5, meaning we'll be in line for getting one of Heiskanen or Liljegren. Both have also played in men's leagues in Europe, which is a bonus and I believe would be eligible for the AHL next season, which is always nice for development if a player has the talent.

Don't forget,

Plenty of talk on this forum of moving Kane, Girgensons and a 1st rounder for a defenseman as well. A Classic GMTM 3 for 1 deal.

I mean after all, this team is very close!

And we have an infinite amount of assets to squander.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Don't forget,

Plenty of talk on this forum of moving Kane, Girgensons and a 1st rounder for a defenseman as well. A Classic GMTM 3 for 1 deal.

I mean after all, this team is very close!

And we have an infinite amount of assets to squander.

Just out of curiosity because I can't remember, has he even done a 3 for 1 deal? Like at all?

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
Just out of curiosity because I can't remember, has he even done a 3 for 1 deal? Like at all?

Kane Bogosian for

Myers, Stafford, Armia, Lemieux, 1st Rounder.

5 for 2.

I don't count Kasdorf bcuz that's like throwing in a bag of pucks.

I probably should have said 2 for 1. Either way, he certainly knows how to wheel and deal.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Obviously Franson is not ideal but given that we have serious holes on defense he should be on the roster next year.

Kulikov is a gigantic unknown at this point. I really want to give him the benefit of the doubt given his injury. If NO team would even toss a 2nd or 3rd for him I find it difficult to believe he will get 5x5. This injury has legitimately hurt his value. I was bashed a few weeks ago for suggesting he could take a "prove it" deal. He may need to because I don't think a team is going to give him a 5 year deal with this injury. I really don't. I'm not a doctor but he looks to be in pain out there and could need off season surgery.

With that said, Franson is what he is: an okay at best defenseman. He has played adequately at times this year. He will make the "WTF?" Play occasionally (not in a good way).

This defense needs an entire retooling. Granted a Murray Miracle, Bogo and Gorges are on this team next year. I'm not opposed to simply eating Gorges contract and having him be a super expensive 6/7 D. The Sabres might just need to suck it up.

I hate to pencil in Guhle for a roster spot next year because he played well in some preseason games and emergency recall games.

a healthy Kulikov on a 1/2 year deal could be a steal if he comes back healthy without long term risk. Risto/McCabe/Bogo and Franson with a UFA defenseman / trade and Gorges as the 6/7 might be adequate. Franson shouldn't be overly expensive. I can see him taking a similar deal that he signed with Buffalo.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
It will be interesting to re-do the math once he moves Kane.

A.) Kane is a really good, valuable player. Murray should not need to add assets to him in order to get great return.

B.) Kane is not a really good, valuable player. Murray should not have given up such a great amount to acquire him.

Which is true? Further, why does the "math" equate to simply counting the number of individual assets on each side of a trade? What does that indicate other than the ability to count through the single digits? The value given up or received is an aggregate of individual assets' value, not a count of individual assets.

In regards to a trade for a defenseman, Taylor Hall returned Adam Larsson. If that value holds true (not saying it necessarily would), Evander Kane does not return Adam Larsson. Therefore, to get even a player of Adam Larsson's caliber, the Sabres would need to add to Kane. A package of Kane + Girgensons + a 1st isn't some blockbuster package, though a lot depends on what the particulars of the 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad