Roster Speculation 2016-17 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Unfortunately a buyout costs us 1.3 million in 2018 when Jack and Sam need new deals. Probably better to bite the bullet for a year unless you absolutely need the cap space.

Trade...can't afford to buy him out and have his cap hit on the books another season after that, however small it may be.

Next year jack and sam are still on ELCs so either we carry him as a 7th d-man or HOPEFULLY we trade him for a bag of pucks.

I'll take the calculated risk that we'll be able to divest ourselves of one or both of Moulson or Ennis for the 2018-19 season, if not before. I'd rather have the $2.6m in cap savings next season. And, if Murray feels like another season of no playoffs means he's out of a job, I'd think he buys out Gorges if he can't find a taker.

That said, I'd be willing to do a 50% retention in a trade before the season. Saves on Gorges' cost, and no carryover to 2018-19.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
The cap hit for buying out Bogo is not too bad after next season, especially since his salary is higher the last two years. The hit would be 1.25+1.25+2+2 or something. How many players can you buy out?
If we go for the quick fix we can be quite aggressive as long as Pegs are up for paying dead weight.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
A team can buy out as many players as they want but I see little reason to buy out Bogosian at this point in time.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
A team can buy out as many players as they want but I see little reason to buy out Bogosian at this point in time.

Me too, but after next season if he hasn't improved and we can't trade him in spite of retaining? I would consider getting rid of all the trash in any way possible after the next season. Saving almost 4 million against the cap should mean that we can get a useful player instead of Bogo.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Murray beleives Rodrigues was the team's best player last couple of games.

Bylsma demotes him to Ennis line duty.

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
The cap hit for buying out Bogo is not too bad after next season, especially since his salary is higher the last two years. The hit would be 1.25+1.25+2+2 or something. How many players can you buy out?
If we go for the quick fix we can be quite aggressive as long as Pegs are up for paying dead weight.

Bogo was a serviceable second pairing guy before Bylsma became coach. I'm still interested in seeing if he can return to form next season if Bylsma is gone.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
After seeing what happened today with Kulikov and Franson, I'm not willing to carry Gorges on the roster for another season with the hope that they can extract value for him at next year's deadline. He has to be traded or bought out this summer.

If we don't need the cap space, I'm fine carrying him as a bottom pairing d-man. Gorges is still a NHL d-man...he's just not suited for a top pairing role he has been in for far too long. Pushing the 1.3M of dead cap space into a year post Reinhart/Eichel ELC.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Murray beleives Rodrigues was the team's best player last couple of games.

Bylsma demotes him to Ennis line duty.

That's a weird interpretation of what he said. He said it should be a problem that Rodrigues was the best player on the ice for the other guys that aren't stepping up.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Hamilton just talked about how fans need to stop thinking they're coaches and thinking they know which players should be together and thinking they know better than the coaches. "The least of this teams worries." So stop crafting lines, all you. Stop it right now.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Hamilton just talked about how fans need to stop thinking they're coaches and thinking they know which players should be together and thinking they know better than the coaches. "The least of this teams worries." So stop crafting lines, all you. Stop it right now.
It's a dumb thing to have a passionate opinion about. Sometimes coaches are surprised at what works and what doesn't work, and don't ever know unless they try it. Let's remember, this team is reeling right now - so the coach is going to continue to shake things up and try new things. If he wasn't, there would be questions why he isn't doing certain things.

That said, it's perfectly reasonable for fans to criticize something that isn't working, like a line, or wonder why something that did work isn't being done. Hell, I wonder why Okposo is still with ROR.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005

Time to shut down hf.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Not getting any assets at the trade deadline kinda sucks. We still have:

2x 2nd round picks and 2x 3rd round picks.

We also have ample cap space going into the offseason. (23M with Girgensons, Larsson, Foligno, Lehner to re-up)

However, moving forward, we also need to balance carefully taking on long term deals with being sure that we have enough room to extend both Eichel/Reinhart long term.

Looking at next year

Kane-O'Reilly-Okposo
Moulson-Eichel-Reinart
Girgensons-Larsson-Ennis
Foligno-XXXX-XXXX
Deslaurier, Carrier

With Bailey, Baptiste, Fasching, and Nylander being AHL eligible.

McCabe-Risto
Gorges-Bogosian
Falk-XXXX
XXXX

Guhle, Martin, Nelson in the AHL (perhaps Borgen?)

Lehner
Ullmark

Again, we have good forward depth....awful D depth.

The UFA market is pretty bare outside of Shattenkirk. Buffalo needs to flip forwards for Defense. Whether thats Kane, Girgensons or Larsson or some of our young d-men.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

See, I go the other way.

I think the Sabres app should have a feature where fans can submit their line combo ideas and then have the data on what the fans think either in the app or part of the game day info on the website, etc.

They should do the same thing with the expansion draft, entry draft, etc.

You want more fan engagement and not less.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
when coach interviews result in gems like 'Kane is fast. Eichel is fast. Match made in heaven, let's shove it down everyone's throats.' and it takes 2/3 of a season for the coach to learn what 8 years in Atlanta/Winnipeg taught everyone: Kane does best as the king of a 3rd line, not as a compliment to talent, I really don't respect his ability

Rodrigues played extremely well and was Eichel's linemate in college, so Bylsma demotes him to the 4th line? No wonder nobody listens to Bylsma. It'd only take a few weeks of that kind of coaching to have me tune him out completely if I were a player. That's what I see happening with Eichel, Girgs, etc.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

Maybe he's buddies with Dan. Did he go fishing with him?

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
See, I go the other way.

I think the Sabres app should have a feature where fans can submit their line combo ideas and then have the data on what the fans think either in the app or part of the game day info on the website, etc.

They should do the same thing with the expansion draft, entry draft, etc.

You want more fan engagement and not less.

This would be amazing. Make line adjustments per period and have the intermission question be 'what should the lines look like for the 3rd period' and have some algorithm based on poll voting make up the lines. John Scott would approve.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
This would be amazing. Make line adjustments per period and have the intermission question be 'what should the lines look like for the 3rd period' and have some algorithm based on poll voting make up the lines. John Scott would approve.

Which is why stuff like that will never happen. Meme and troll votes would completely take over.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

Given that 82-15-12 is currently a thing, I'm pretty sure we all know better than the coach when it comes to line combos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad