Roster Speculation 2015-16 Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
When I look at our roster all the Sabres are missing in this rebuild is a consistent 20 goal right wing, puck moving defenseman, and a goalie. The days of needing centers are over, finally. Been nearly my entire fanhood.

The rest is just growing together and gaining experience.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Moulson-eichel-trade acquisition
Foligno-girgensons-ennis
Kane-reinhart-gionta
Deslauries-larsson-??????
McCormick

last year's best forward on the 4th line?

If Larsson was drafted in the slot where we took Grigorenko (1st round/12th overall), but everything related to his on ice career remained exactly the same (euro pro league to AHL to NHL with no changes in performance/production)... he'd be in everyone's top 6.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Hodgson should be a warning to draftniks about opting for players with great hands, good moves, scoring ability. Hodgson had ALL this but was not seen as a great skater. It was thought that with his working out with Gary Roberts--who praised his work ethic-and with all the well know skating instructors available, that he was a natural. Certainly I did. Well he is still a slow skater and his brain is frozen from the speed of the game around him--he has not learned his limitations and to play within them. Even if he now did it is touch and go as to whether he fits any nhl role now.....

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
When I look at our roster all the Sabres are missing in this rebuild is a consistent 20 goal right wing, puck moving defenseman, and a goalie. The days of needing centers are over, finally. Been nearly my entire fanhood.

The rest is just growing together and gaining experience.

A puck moving LD is needed... the other two will be easily manufactured as the team grows.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

If Larsson was drafted in the slot where we took Grigorenko (1st round/12th overall), but everything related to his on ice career remained exactly the same (euro pro league to AHL to NHL with no changes in performance/production)... he'd be in everyone's top 6.

I dont get it either. Larsson is a top 6 forward. He can do everything also. Has toughness.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I dont get it either. Larsson is a top 6 forward. He can do everything also. Has toughness.

My opening night top line is Moulson-Larsson-Ennis... no idea why we'd change something that was clearly capable of top line production, while easing the initial load on our kid studs (Eichel, Reinhart).

Obviously Reichel (or should we go with Einhart?) is our future 1-2 punch.... Along with Girgensons versatility to play on any line in any role. But i'd rather give Reichel some time to develop, adjust, grow before they become that 1-2 punch. Larsson provides that...

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC

Last year's best forward. Cute. I'm thrilled that Larsson broke down the door and he absolutely won't be on the 4th line, but there is no need to come up with ridiculous hyperbole to push your point.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Last year's best forward. Cute. I'm thrilled that Larsson broke down the door and he absolutely won't be on the 4th line, but there is no need to come up with ridiculous hyperbole to push your point.

I think when he played he was our best forward.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
If Reinhart makes the opening night roster I think he will start at wing. If not, I hope he improves his faceoffs or plays with a winger that can help out there.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

while I agree he shouldn't be on the 4th line.

That is part of the problem--high 1st round picks will get more chances and opportunities over 2nd round picks

Ask yourself this question if Grigorenko didn't burn his ELC and was sent back to juniors for 12/13 and 13/14 how would we be judging him right now?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Reinhart is going to be in Buffalo next year, it's one thing that was made clear in this press conference. No need to make line up predictions without him anymore.

I missed the press conference, but the percentages for Reinhart making the team hasn't changed for me in the last 2 days. Still sounds like Reinhart and Zadorov need to earn their spot in training camp.

Murray was wrong last year, he can be wrong again.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

I fully understand that you see things like this as hyperbole. Larsson is just another Sekera or Oreilly for you. A player who does all the things that you don't see, and will never understand.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
while I agree he shouldn't be on the 4th line.

That is part of the problem--high 1st round picks will get more chances and opportunities over 2nd round picks

Reinhart and Grigorenko got sent down last year.

Ask yourself this question if Grigorenko didn't burn his ELC and was sent back to juniors for 12/13 and 13/14 how would we be judging him right now?

I don't know how that hypothetical would've played out.

The point is that Larsson is really good, and having a really good young top 6 center to ease the transition for recent stud 1st rounders is a GREAT position to be in.

Ultimately, I hope we end up in a spot where Larsson is either playing the Jordan Staal role behind Cro/Malkin OR he's playing the Oreilly role shotgunning with Duchene or Mackinon.

I called Larsson Oreilly-lite a year ago... after this past season, we may be able to remove the "lite"

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
My opening night top line is Moulson-Larsson-Ennis... no idea why we'd change something that was clearly capable of top line production, while easing the initial load on our kid studs (Eichel, Reinhart).

I agree I can see it being Moulson-Larsson-Ennis as one of the lines---top line I don't know.

The other lines it looks like:

Kane-Reinhart-Grigorenko
Girgs-Eichel-Hodgson (if on the team)

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I agree I can see it being Moulson-Larsson-Ennis as one of the lines---top line I don't know.

The other lines it looks like:

Kane-Reinhart-Grigorenko
Girgs-Eichel-Hodgson (if on the team)

yea, as i posted a page or two back in response to whether there is a short term spot for Hodgson to create trade value...

Based on the same commentary from Murray/Bylsma... Grigorenko really doesn't have a spot, and there's no need to make lineups with him in the top 9 either...

Unless changes are made, i could easily see the following lineup making sense to start the 2015 season.

Moulson-Larsson-Ennis - top line
Kane-Reinhart-Hodgson - ozone start
Girgenson-Eichel-Gionta - dzone start (Girgs can play center)
Foligno-Grigorenko-Deslauriers - energy

which hopefully evolves (over the next 12 months) in to...

Larsson-Eichel-Ennis - elite line
Kane-Reinhart-Girgensons - selke line
Moulson- xxxx - xxxx - feast line
xxxx - xxxx - xxxx - kill ine

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Reinhart and Grigorenko got sent down last year.

I don't know how that hypothetical would've played out.

The point is that Larsson is really good, and having a really good young top 6 center to ease the transition for recent stud 1st rounders is a GREAT position to be in.

I understand they were sent down. That doesn't mean they wont get more chances to play.

Larsson had a strong 15 or so games last year to end the season---something to build on. I hope he continues with that--but you never know.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
I fully understand that you see things like this as hyperbole. Larsson is just another Sekera for you. A player who does all the things that you don't see, and will never understand.

Ah, the all-knowing, all-wise master argument. Well, I guess you win. Best player, even though he couldn't maintain a spot on the big club until late in the season. You think GMTM would keep his best player around though, right? Or at least it wouldn't sit well in the locker room that the best player was being mistreated? Weird that none of that happened. I guess Murray, Nolan and the other players just can't see the game as clearly as Jame. :laugh:

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
Hodgson & 31 (would probably do 21 if needed)
For
Gormley

AZ needs forwards, they are not in a win now mode, sweeten the deal.

Girgs - Eichel - AAA (Larsson)
Kane - Reinhart - Gionta
Moulson - Grigs - Ennis
Foligno - BBB (Larsson) - DES

Zads - Risto
Gormley - Bogo
Gorges - Weber

Yes, we struggle a bit because of youth but this year has to be about patience and learning. I'd love this lineup, especially with say Jagr playing that top line RW...:).

Eichel will be top line center day 1. He gets the Z Man and the other splash he makes.
Reinharts protected.
And I'm giving Grigs every opportunity to succeed with quality linemates.

The defense is solid.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Is Larsson the best forward in franchise history? The answer may surprise you.

Ghills23

Young Guns
Aug 12, 2006
Buffalo
I fully understand that you see things like this as hyperbole. Larsson is just another Sekera for you. A player who does all the things that you don't see, and will never understand.

I agree Larsson was very good but it's hard to label him the best forward with the year Ennis had. It didn't help that Johan was up and down from Rochester all season. But that shouldn't dismiss Ennis from the conversation of best forward.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Ah, the all-knowing, all-wise master argument. Well, I guess you win.

works for me

Best player, even though he couldn't maintain a spot on the big club until late in the season.

Jason Pominville was on waivers at the same age.

You think GMTM would keep his best player around though, right?

When tanking a season?

Why didn't he keep Grigorenko when you claimed he was the 2nd best center on the roster?

Or at least it wouldn't sit well in the locker room that the best player was being mistreated?

this one makes no sense.

Weird that none of that happened.

Definitely weird stuff you pinpointed there :propeller

I guess Murray, Nolan and the other players just can't see the game as clearly as Jame.

Maybe Murray and Bylsma's recent comments would be more reflective.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Appeal to authority suffers a bit when used wrt a gm that has had some major lapses in judgment with young players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad