Roster Speculation 2015-16 Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Let's talk upcoming UFA's. When do we lock up Foligno and for how much? Do you extend Weber this summer if contract demands are reasonable or ship him out at the deadline or wait and see?

No, I think you let Foligno play out his contract year. He's a RFA next year and we're really not in the danger zone cap wise when it comes to offersheets, so no reason to try to get him locked into a long term deal.

I've been toying with the idea of flipping Foligno to fill one of our bigger needs (RW, LH D, G) and going out and getting Bickell from Chicago to fill that spot. Bickell doesn't bring the same offensive potential as Foligno has, but he certainly plays the "heavy" game that Murray wants. He also would bring some much needed experience.

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
That's been my experience with almost all of our defensemen named "Mike".

Mike Card, Mike Funk, Mike Wilson...the only notable "Mike" on D is Robie.

Mike Ramsey would like to have a word with you.

It's too bad I couldn't find any good hip check videos of him considering he was one of the greatest hip checkers of all-time.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Let's talk upcoming UFA's. When do we lock up Foligno and for how much? Do you extend Weber this summer if contract demands are reasonable or ship him out at the deadline or wait and see?

Foligno I wait and see how he does this season. Weber I think is unlikely he gets re-signed unless it's on the cheap as a #7, but a lot of that has to do with external factors (Zadorov, McCabe, do we sign a Sekera?)

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
anyone want to compile a list of UFAs that played for Bylsma and could potential fill a need for us in the offseason?

I'll start with:
Paul Martin
Tyler Kennedy

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
anyone want to compile a list of UFAs that played for Bylsma and could potential fill a need for us in the offseason?

I'll start with:
Paul Martin
Tyler Kennedy

Bysma does love himself some TK.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

I'll start with:
Paul Martin
Tyler Kennedy

Marcel Goc, albeit briefly in 2013-14 (post-deadline and playoffs).

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

I'll start with:
Paul Martin
Tyler Kennedy

Marcel Goc, albeit briefly in 2013-14 (post-deadline and playoffs).

Other UFAs (not by need) who played for Bylsma:

Zbynek Michalek
Jordan Leopold
Brenden Morrow
Mark Letestu
Lee Stempniak
Brian Gibbons
Craig Adams

Might've missed a couple more, but that's the gist.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

I'll start with:
Paul Martin
Tyler Kennedy

I know he's not a UFA, but I'm thinking he may want Tim to go after Dupuis via trade, if he was healthy enough.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Would Jordan Staal be a smarter target for Buffalo than O'Reilly given the latter's contract status?

He's older and, in my eyes, not as good offensively, but he drives possession and would eat the minutes O'Reilly would tackle if the Sabres traded for him.

I doubt he's available, but that reporter's tweet re: Bylsma/Staal got me thinking.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Would Jordan Staal be a smarter target for Buffalo than O'Reilly given the latter's contract status?

I like Jordan Staal, but in the end Carolina isn't trading him. He's 26, he's overpaid, and he has a NMC to block any trade.

So, they'd have to

A) Find a place he'd accept a trade to
B) Get one of those teams to take on the 8 years, 48 M left on his contract
C) Get enough assets out of that team to make it worth their while

Jordan and Carolina are married long term, like it or not.

Bps21*

Zbynek Michalek
Jordan Leopold
Brenden Morrow
Mark Letestu
Lee Stempniak
Brian Gibbons
Craig Adams

How did he not win all the cups :sarcasm:

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
How did he not win all the cups :sarcasm:

Just going to keep making comments like this to no one in particular until you get someone to bite?

----

How is being a former player under Bylsma considered advantageous to the sabres signing any of them?

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Just going to keep making comments like this to no one in particular until you get someone to bite?

----

How is being a former player under Bylsma considered advantageous to the sabres signing any of them?

I don't think anyone has said that it would be. The purpose was to identify former players with whom Bylsma may be familiar, and thus can recommend to Murray based on roles the two of them identify as needing to be filled. Excluding Martin, most of those guys are the type with which you fill out the roster.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Thoughts on flipping one of our 2nds for Dan hamhius? Puck mover that fills a role, and is a Ufa in 2016. Could decide to resign him, or move up Zads / McCabe.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

foligno is an RFA (5 yrs in--2 more till UFA) in 2016. This is a make or break year for him. If he doesn't improve on his offense I can see him get traded.

right now on LW you have:

Kane
Ennis
Grigs/Girgs
Foligno
Moulson

I want to have some room for kids coming up.

As for Weber I don't see resigning him. It all depends on what they bring in to LHD in the offseason.

Sabretooth

May 14, 2013
Ohio
I don't think anyone has said that it would be. The purpose was to identify former players with whom Bylsma may be familiar, and thus can recommend to Murray based on roles the two of them identify as needing to be filled. Excluding Martin, most of those guys are the type with which you fill out the roster.

I guess I'm not understanding then. It's essentially a list of bottom 6 / bottom pairing interchangeable depth guys. I'm not understanding why Bylsma, let alone Murray or the scouting staff would target specifically those players for depth roles unless the fact that they were former players under Bylsma was favorable and beneficial.

Idk, maybe I'm just biased from watching so many penguins games, but I'd actually rather avoid those players. I don't know why anyone would want the sabres to try to recreate some of the worst aspects of the penguins rosters the past 5 years just to provide Bylsma with some familiarity that he probably doesn't even want or need.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY

Zbynek Michalek
Jordan Leopold
Brenden Morrow
Mark Letestu
Lee Stempniak
Brian Gibbons
Craig Adams

I'd be all over Jordan Leopold just to recoup the 3rd round pick we gave up for Bylsma.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I guess I'm not understanding then. It's essentially a list of bottom 6 / bottom pairing interchangeable depth guys. I'm not understanding why Bylsma, let alone Murray or the scouting staff would target specifically those players for depth roles unless the fact that they were former players under Bylsma was favorable and beneficial.

Idk, maybe I'm just biased from watching so many penguins games, but I'd actually rather avoid those players. I don't know why anyone would want the sabres to try to recreate some of the worst aspects of the penguins rosters the past 5 years just to provide Bylsma with some familiarity that he probably doesn't even want or need.

I'm confused as to what seems to be bothering you about this subject. Jame initially started naming some players who played under Bylsma who'd fill a role. I simply named a few more UFAs who had played for Bylsma. Moreover, I expressly stated that I was simply naming UFAs with no regard for what role, if any, they'd play in Buffalo. Then you came in, guns blazin' about something that has seemingly upset you about this topic.

Of course most of them are role players. Your hyperbole aside about "recreating" Pittsburgh's bottom-6--not every player who played a bottom-6 role there sucks; for example, Letestu would be a completely legitimate RW4 who can also play C4--every team needs to fill out their roster with players. It may be at least possible that Bylsma suggests a guy he thinks could round out the roster a fill a small role.

Oh, and our season has been done for coming up on two months now. Roster minutiae gets discussed in this thread. If it bothers you that much, you probably won't want to visit this thread much over the next five weeks.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY

He's older and, in my eyes, not as good offensively, but he drives possession and would eat the minutes O'Reilly would tackle if the Sabres traded for him.

I doubt he's available, but that reporter's tweet re: Bylsma/Staal got me thinking.
I think at this point Ryan O'Reilly is better than Jordan Staal at every aspect of Hockey except skating.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
So great interview with Bylsma about Sabres roster. This was the labeled "Eichel Worth The Hype". Some insights from Bylsma, which I assume is part his own and Tim Murray's:

Evander Kane is a top line forward.

Matt Moulson and Tyler Ennis are top 6 forwards.

Zemgus Girgensons can insulate the others, but is not a top line center.

And here's one nugget that made me smile. Johan Larsson is being talked about a lot by other NHL people and scouts. He has a reputation as very hard to play against.

Didn't mention Grigorenko at all.

Sam Reinhart will be a star.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad