Roster Speculation 2015-16 Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Crazy to think Grigorenko on his off wing could be that 1RW sniper? I understand the speed issue which may not be as noticeable with say, Kane and E but he does have a nice release and puck skills, no doubt. Less d responsibility and not expected to do major board work. Perhaps once he's proven himself for a full NHL season.

When he's going well, he's a great distributor, so I have my doubts about the wing. But you've pretty much got to try him there at this point.

Grigorenko is basically on my not-counting-on-it list at this point. Fix that hole somehow and if Grigorenko pans out, hooray depth.

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
So Ehrhoff has already put his house for sale in Pittsburgh while he still has a house in Buffalo... :nod:

That also means that Martin re-signing with Penguins is pretty likely imo.

Just imagine the hatred directed at Sabres if Murray signs Ehrhoff and Sekera and trades for Miller (late round pick). :laugh: I mean, they had had just tossed them while completing tank job only to bring them back when winning again matters.

That's extremely unlikely to happen, though.

:laugh::laugh:

Would be the ultimate troll job.

I would like Sekera back though.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Sekera is miles ahead of Petry. Not even remotely close. My goodness

I think Sekera is ahead of Petry. Absolutely. Basically same age and weight, with Petry 3" taller.

WITH THAT, Petry was the lone bright spot on a disappointing Habs postseason blueline. He most certainly earned a deal above 3.5M$ per with his play in the TB series alone.

It wouldn't shock me to see Petry get a higher annual dollar term.

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
for fun...

Sign Sekera long term (6 yrs x 6 million per)
Sign Paul Martin mid term (4 yrs x 5 million er)

Sekera-Bogo
Martin-Risto
Weber-Pysyk
x Gorges (he may not even be ready to start the season)

Zadorov spends a year in Rochester. He will really benefit from a year of minute munching and professional development.

Completely agree. We need to make Sekera our #1 priority. Hopefully he would want to come back here. Just thinking that was a terrible trade, Sekera for a 2nd and McBain, yikes.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I think Sekera is ahead of Petry. Absolutely. Basically same age and weight, with Petry 3" taller.

WITH THAT, Petry was the lone bright spot on a disappointing Habs postseason blueline. He most certainly earned a deal above 3.5M$ per with his play in the TB series alone.

It wouldn't shock me to see Petry get a higher annual dollar term.

Sure, if Sekera decides to stay in LA for less money. But if both go to market simply trying to get the most dollars, Sekera will do better.

Incidentally, I think all this Petry talk is pointless because I think he's signing in Detroit. With Petry and Marchenko, the Wings will finally have two RHD.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
for fun...

Sign Sekera long term (6 yrs x 6 million per)
Sign Paul Martin mid term (4 yrs x 5 million er)

Sekera-Bogo
Martin-Risto
Weber-Pysyk
x Gorges (he may not even be ready to start the season)

Zadorov spends a year in Rochester. He will really benefit from a year of minute munching and professional development.

Meh. If we sign Sekera no real need or desire to invest longterm in another dman. That would make Sekera, Bogo, Risto, Pysyk, and Zadorov all longterm cogs. Can only have so many good dmen before the cap gets you. No need for another guy making serious money. If Georges won't be ready we could find another Weber type to sign until Zadorov is ready. Hell even Ruh can be a stopgap.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Sure, if Sekera decides to stay in LA for less money. But if both go to market simply trying to get the most dollars, Sekera will do better.

I don't know. You have the fresh vision of what Petry could do on a half decent team, out of that dmen disaster pit in EDM... he had a physical postseason, again particularly in the TB series, and he showed he's quite capable on the breakout and on special teams when called upon.

That plus Sekera's injury-plagued season (still played 70+ yes) that didn't last as long, and it wouldn't shock me. You're probably right, but again...wouldn't be surprised at all if Petry got a bit more.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Sekera isn't coming here. Martin is a decent stop gap until (if) McCabe is ready though.

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
Completely agree. We need to make Sekera our #1 priority. Hopefully he would want to come back here. Just thinking that was a terrible trade, Sekera for a 2nd and McBain, yikes.

One of Darcy's worst trades with the Sabres. IMO he was underrated around the league until he played with Carolina.

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006
I'm oddly comfortable with just re-signing Lindback as far as goalies go, but in terms of targets out there for trade, Lehner and Jones are probably the big two mentioned. I've seen everyone from Gibson to Lack mentioned. How about Raanta from Chicago? The Blackhawks are probably stuck with Crawford and have Darling in the picture too.

Raanta makes $750K next year and then is a UFA.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
One of Darcy's worst trades with the Sabres. IMO he was underrated around the league until he played with Carolina.
It was a very smart trade, just bad value. It was either trade Sekera or trade Ehrhoff to secure last place and Darcy didn't have the balls to buyout Ehrhoff.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I'm oddly comfortable with just re-signing Lindback as far as goalies go, but in terms of targets out there for trade, Lehner and Jones are probably the big two mentioned. I've seen everyone from Gibson to Lack mentioned. How about Raanta from Chicago? The Blackhawks are probably stuck with Crawford and have Darling in the picture too.

Raanta makes $750K next year and then is a UFA.

I'm not. But I'm not really worried either way. I think our defensive scheme will be more aggressive so ****** goalies like that may not seem too bad but won't have career numbers.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I don't know. You have the fresh vision of what Petry could do on a half decent team, out of that dmen disaster pit in EDM... he had a physical postseason, again particularly in the TB series, and he showed he's quite capable on the breakout and on special teams when called upon.

That plus Sekera's injury-plagued season (still played 70+ yes) that didn't last as long, and it wouldn't shock me. You're probably right, but again...wouldn't be surprised at all if Petry got a bit more.

Sekera will get the big attention and a bunch of teams will focus on getting him signed, Petry will get the most desperate of the rest to give him a contract everyone will shake their heads at

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Petry IMHO will be pursued hard by the Red Wings. Just a good fit for that system and their desperate need for a right handed shot

Last edited:

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Should we be talking more about Paul Martin?

With Bylsma all but a sure thing (jinx!!!!!!!), a cup winning vet who enjoyed some success under him would make a ton of sense, right?

drawbacks:
Martin definitely struggled mightily under Bylsma initially
I believe they moved him over to the right side, like he played in Jersey, and it helped correct some of his issues (which is weird given their retrieval/stretch system for a blueliner)

34 year old, injury proned, overpaid defenseman on his last legs. Brilliant! But no, let's flame the Petry idea. :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad