Roster Speculation 2015-16 Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Sekera isn't a top pairing defenseman. I think I remember Carolina trying him out that way. Guess what? They were a bottom 5 team.

So Buffalo trying Ennis as a top line forward and finishing dead last....

I'll take 4 years of Tyler Ennis over 1 year of ROR every day of the week.

Your Ennis/oreilly silliness was from January 2013

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
There's no need to get rid of Grigorenko unless it's in a trade that Murray really wants. He's still cheap, there's room in the line-up, maybe Bylsma can get more out of him (and everyone), and injuries always happen in camp. I can't remember when the Sabres' opening night roster was 100%.

I see Grigorenko (and Hodgson) as good depth for inevitable injuries, which will give them the chance to prove their worth. There's not much as far as standings/playoffs that the team has to lose by giving him time.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
What's your point? Everyone knows they need to get better up front.

Just that your Sekera statement was really stupid

Did you not want to touch on your oreilly/Ennis comment when they were both pending RFA the following year?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
The dump and hope to reacquire scenario worked out pretty poorly for Tampa last year when they waived Richard Panik hoping to sneak him down. That said, there are surprising players who make it through waivers every year...it's a roll of the dice and a lot of timing and luck.

There's no reason why Buffalo couldn't start Reinhart out in the AHL and keep Grigorenko up on the third line either as a winger or a center...give him a shot with decent wingers to see what he can do with the ice time.

There is one big one. Murray wants Reinhart on the NHL roster if he is physically ready. Murray isn't going to move a NHL ready Reinhart to the AHL to accommodate Grigs getting a roster spot.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Sekera isn't a top pairing defenseman. I think I remember Carolina trying him out that way. Guess what? They were a bottom 5 team.

I'll take 4 years of Tyler Ennis over 1 year of ROR every day of the week.

I guess OEL isn't a top pairing man either :jump:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
What if he has a better camp and preseason than Reinhart and Larsson just as it happened before last season? Then what?

I don't think it will matter in terms of Grigs making the roster. I've said this a bunch of times, but his fate with the Sabres is most likely decided in the next several weeks. If he is here when training camp opens its because they want him on the 23 man roster. But he would be battling for one of the 12 forward spots on opening night. So to answer your question in that context, Grigs could hop ahead in the pecking order if he outplays them.

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
What's your point? Everyone knows they need to get better up front.

If Carolina being a bottom 5 team with Sekera as a top 2 defenseman is proof that he's not a legit top 2 defenseman, then what does the Sabres being dead last with Ennis on the top line say about Ennis? It's your logic, you've gotta be willing to follow it to all of its conclusions/consequences, or what's the point in trying to use it?

It's like Dan Dennett says (only he was talking about slightly more academic debates :laugh:)... Some guys are like old featherbeds: you jump on them and they sink into qualifications, revisions, addenda; and some are like trampolines: you jump on them and they spring back with full force presenting claims twice as outrageous. Don't be a featherbed. ;)

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
I don't think it will matter in terms of Grigs making the roster. I've said this a bunch of times, but his fate with the Sabres is most likely decided in the next several weeks. If he is here when training camp opens its because they want him on the 23 man roster. But he would be battling for one of the 12 forward spots on opening night. So to answer your question in that context, Grigs could hop ahead in the pecking order if he outplays them.

Very plausible.

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
Opening day forward lines with no trades...

Kane - Girgensons - Eichel
Moulson - Larsson - Ennis
Foligno - Reinhart - Gionta
DesLauriers - Grigorenko - McCormick

I would expect Eichel to move to center asap. If Grigorenko plays well who do we move out of top 9?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I would expect Eichel to move to center asap. If Grigorenko plays well who do we move out of top 9?

Thats kind of a pointless question right now.

Last edited:

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
If Carolina being a bottom 5 team with Sekera as a top 2 defenseman is proof that he's not a legit top 2 defenseman, then what does the Sabres being dead last with Ennis on the top line say about Ennis? It's your logic, you've gotta be willing to follow it to all of its conclusions/consequences, or what's the point in trying to use it?

It's like Dan Dennett says (only he was talking about slightly more academic debates :laugh:)... Some guys are like old featherbeds: you jump on them and they sink into qualifications, revisions, addenda; and some are like trampolines: you jump on them and they spring back with full force presenting claims twice as outrageous. Don't be a featherbed. ;)

the reasonable dodge to this is that top-pair defensemen are significantly more important than first line wingers

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

Whichever one of Larsson, Reinhart, or Eichel he is outplaying (or whoever is injured)

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Whichever one of Larsson, Reinhart, or Eichel he is outplaying (or whoever is injured)

What if he isn't outplaying any of them? They can play well at the same time he is. Thats why its such a pointless question. We would have to actually see who is playing and how they are playing. Can't really make a decision on something like this in a vacuum because the answer right now is anyone and no one.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

I think I would prefer Moulson getting shifted to the third or 4th line before Reinhart Larsson or eichel. Even with an excellent center and him potting 25 goals, maybe, he is still a leech to your team's overall ability.

When this team is competitive for a cup we should only have room in for good two way players or if your one dimensional, either offensively or defensively, you need to be elite.

Moulson is just an older version of hodgson. The sooner he pushed down the line up the better.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
What if he isn't outplaying any of them? They can play well at the same time he is. Thats why its such a pointless question. We would have to actually see who is playing and how they are playing. Can't really make a decision on something like this in a vacuum because the answer right now is anyone and no one.

That's why the entire exercise of "zomg no room for everyone" is a pointless exercise. I attribute to too many of us playing NHL 2015 and swimming entire seasons at a time. In real life you don't need to set your lines for the entire season and players can slide in and out and up and down the lineup. Of all the problems we're going to have this year, not enough playing time for players that play well certainly won't be one of them.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
That's why the entire exercise of "zomg no room for everyone" is a pointless exercise. I attribute to too many of us playing NHL 2015 and swimming entire seasons at a time. In real life you don't need to set your lines for the entire season and players can slide in and out and up and down the lineup. Of all the problems we're going to have this year, not enough playing time for players that play well certainly won't be one of them.

Building a roster for an upcoming season is not the same thing as the question that poster asked.

In real life teams very much have a pecking order to their players and build an opening night roster based on that. That the roster has changes and shifts throughout the year doesn't change this fact. Its why our GM said right now he doesn't see where Grigs fits in and that a buyout is an option with Hodgson. Because he has an idea in his mind what he wants the roster to look like and isn't sure he sees them on it. And few, if any, are saying ZOMG no room for any one. Most can put together a lineup and explain their reasons why certain players don't fit in.

The question that poster asked is a different matter. That being who comes out of the top 9 if Grigs plays well as the 4th line center. Its impossible to answer because who comes out, if anyone, would be determined by their play during the season. Since they are obviously not playing right now its kind of pointless to ask who should come out. Its something that would take place after the roster is already established.

Last edited:

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Yeah, they actually do matter, contrary to the way some people think.

Nah points don't matter.Ovechkin sucks,all he does is score goals.Don't you know starting next season the games aren't decided by what team has more goals then the other but which team has the better Corsi :laugh:

Gotta love the people who instead of taking advanced stats in context,prefer to discredit offensive production in lieu of advanced stats.

Whenever someone has a favorite player who is clearly an average player with limited production the only thing they can say is because points.

Let's get 12 Sean Couturier's on offense and 6 Andej Sekeras!The team would go 82-0 and then sweep all 4 rounds :laugh:

People need to realize at the end of the day OFFENSIVE PRODUCTION is what matters.Now all you lemmings come at with your go look at nhl.com arguments, which is funny because you could easily replace NHL.com with behindthenet.

Loved seeing that advanced stat dork get canned in Edmonton.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I think I would prefer Moulson getting shifted to the third or 4th line before Reinhart Larsson or eichel. Even with an excellent center and him potting 25 goals, maybe, he is still a leech to your team's overall ability.

When this team is competitive for a cup we should only have room in for good two way players or if your one dimensional, either offensively or defensively, you need to be elite.

Moulson is just an older version of hodgson. The sooner he pushed down the line up the better.

I agree on the offensive side but not the defensive side. There have been plenty of good to very good but not elite defensive depth players on the Hawks, Kings and Bruins.

Moulson will be an interesting player to watch going forward. Don't really agree with you characterization of him as Hodgson-like. But he certainly has his flaws and is hardly a two way player. I guess his usefulness will hinge on clicking with one of our center prospects and getting back to 30 goals.

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
Is re-signing Grigs and having him play the entire season in the A next year an option if he doesn't impress in September?

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
Not really. He needs to pass through waivers going forward. Its unlikely he would make it through unclaimed.

ahh...I wasn't sure if there was a grace period at the end of the season where he could join the full roster roster for the following year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad