Roster Speculation 2014-2015, Part IX Poppa Bear Doin' Thangs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
seriously. He's going to go for what Staal and Keser got. They think they'll get Zadorov/Risto

Staal did get a top 8th OA pick, Sutter and Dumoulin.

my offer for O'Reilly would start with our OTHER 1st, Grigerenko, and a conditional 2nd next year if he re-ups.

ZeroPT*

my offer for O'Reilly would start with our OTHER 1st, Grigerenko, and a conditional 2nd next year if he re-ups.

Grigorenko,1st,D prospect. It's comparable

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

On one hand Carolina knew they would be able to extend him. On the other hand, Pittsburgh was pretty handcuffed in who they could trade him to. I think ultimately the former outweighed the latter, so Staal would have had more trade value, plus I'm pretty certain GM's/the hockey world valued him more highly in a vacuum (not saying they should've).

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Grigorenko,1st,D prospect. It's comparable

:dunno: Depends where that 1st is.

Dumonlin was pretty highly rated at the time, and Sutter has alot more NHL success than Grigo has currently.

Though, all things being equal, its a much different situation. O'Reilly hasn't really shown he's interested in signing anywhere, so there's the risk in him being a one year rental. Carolina had an agreement basically in place already. Staal had been proven a lot more in the playoffs, etc.

I think the biggest road block is that teams might be more comfortable with that 1 year risk that we are. Ottawa or NJ might be willing to pony up quite a bit more because they feel they are an O'Reilly away from playoff contention. I'd love to get O'Reilly in here, but, for me the risk is that he might walk. If this were 2016 or 2017 and our core was a bit more established, I'd be a be more comfortable with taking a bigger risk.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
interesting tidbit on the "O'reilly won't sign for less than 8 million" nonsense....

Oreilly has the same agent as E.Kane.
The same agent that was almost the assistant GM of the Sabres.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
interesting tidbit on the "O'reilly won't sign for less than 8 million" nonsense....

Oreilly has the same agent as E.Kane.
The same agent that was almost the assistant GM of the Sabres.

I saw that and that is interesting. Evidently Murray and him are pretty tight.

We'll see I guess. If there's a wink and nod deal in place for O'Reilly to signed 8 year deal at 6-6.5 per I'd be much more comfortable giving up assets for him than the 1 year rental.

Either way I think us having interest in him doesn't make us acquiring him something that will happen. Heck, it could have just been leaked that Buffalo is interested to drive teams to up their offers given Murray's ability to overpay where needed.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I saw that and that is interesting. Evidently Murray and him are pretty tight.

We'll see I guess. If there's a wink and nod deal in place for O'Reilly to signed 8 year deal at 6-6.5 per I'd be much more comfortable giving up assets for him than the 1 year rental.

Either way I think us having interest in him doesn't make us acquiring him something that will happen. Heck, it could have just been leaked that Buffalo is interested to drive teams to up their offers given Murray's ability to overpay where needed.

i dont know if its true, someone else said he's a newport/morris guy.... that's what i get for reading the trade board.

:facepalm:

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
I like O'Reilly, but wouldn't give up a 1st, Grigorenko AND Pysyk. Pysyk gets thrown around in trade proposals pretty casually, but he's a top 4 defenseman on this team next year, and a good one.

ZeroPT*

One avs fan compared pysyk to Nathan Redmond which is laughable.

He's so underrated. I'd much rather give up McCabe

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

Pysyk's value dropped on HF this year. I refer you to Section 10.6.3(a)(ii) of the HF Player Value Handbook:

10.6.3(a)(ii) - Where the Player has played in at least 15 NHL games in or more Season, but plays the majority of a subsequent season in a lower league, the Player has clearly regressed and must be in the lower league because the Player is no good and could not hack it in the NHL. Accordingly, the player is worth very little in a potential trade.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Pysyk > McCabe for me, as well.

Although, I could see McCabe being on Pysyk's level in a year or two, as well.

But if one of them has to go to get ROR, I'd choose McCabe.

MG, JMc, StL/NYI 1st for ROR is about as high as I would go, I think.

It will be very interesting to see if Murray gets this done, especially if it happens prior to the deadline.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Pysyk > McCabe for me, as well.

Although, I could see McCabe being on Pysyk's level in a year or two, as well.

But if one of them has to go to get ROR, I'd choose McCabe.

MG, JMc, StL/NYI 1st for ROR is about as high as I would go, I think.

It will be very interesting to see if Murray gets this done, especially if it happens prior to the deadline.

Only way the deal gets done Prior to the deadline is a team overpays to get him for the playoffs this year

This almost has to be a deal closer to the draft.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
McCabe has really come on offensively since the calendar flipped to 2015. He has 2-12-14 in 18 games in 2015.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Only way the deal gets done Prior to the deadline is a team overpays to get him for the playoffs this year

This almost has to be a deal closer to the draft.

It's all about how much action there is on ROR from deadline buyers and if Colorado subscribes to the theory that the best time to move a guy and maximize the return is around the deadline.

I could see Murray getting ROR at the deadline if he moves.

He's not afraid to pay the price to get a guy he likes.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
seriously. He's going to go for what Staal and Keser got. They think they'll get Zadorov/Risto

On one hand Carolina knew they would be able to extend him. On the other hand, Pittsburgh was pretty handcuffed in who they could trade him to. I think ultimately the former outweighed the latter, so Staal would have had more trade value, plus I'm pretty certain GM's/the hockey world valued him more highly in a vacuum (not saying they should've).

The key is Carolina knew they would be able to resign him. With ROR you dont know.

A signed ROR who had 3 yrs left on a contract could get whal Staal got...but he isnt getting that.

Kesler had 2 full years left. He got a late 1st and 2 OK players (not blue chip prospects).

I consider Grigs a blue chip prospect---same with Zads and Risto---none of them get traded in this deal.

A fair value trade would be the other 1st + Pysyk/McCabe+ Foligno/Compher/Karabacek/Ullmark/Makarov

What I think though is TM is looking at doing.....

trading Stewart (50% retained) + NYI 2nd and getting a 1st (top 5 protected)

Then he waits till the deadline and sees which pick may be lower and holds onto that one and then uses the other one to trade for ROR

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I have this on the trade board...

for those that agree that O'reilly is in the ballpark of the value that Staal/Kesler returned, but also acknowledging that those players limited the teams that they could be traded to thus driving down their trade value some... i give you this:

Grigo
Equivalent to the 1st that Car gave up for Staal (8th overall vs 12th overall. same draft)
McCabe
Equivalent to Doumoulin (mid tier prospect, 44th overall vs 51st overall)
Ennis
More valuable than Sutter (making up the difference that the NTC created

Ennis>Sutter
Grigo=8th overall
McCabe=Doumoulin

I think that's a good, strong, QUALITY based offer for Oreilly.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I have this on the trade board...

for those that agree that O'reilly is in the ballpark of the value that Staal/Kesler returned, but also acknowledging that those players limited the teams that they could be traded to thus driving down their trade value some... i give you this:

Grigo
Equivalent to the 1st that Car gave up for Staal (8th overall vs 12th overall. same draft)
McCabe
Equivalent to Doumoulin (mid tier prospect, 44th overall vs 51st overall)
Ennis
More valuable than Sutter (making up the difference that the NTC created

Ennis>Sutter
Grigo=8th overall
McCabe=Doumoulin

I think that's a good, strong, QUALITY based offer for Oreilly.

Absolutely I do that offer. I'd even add our 2nd rounder to that if need be.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
It's all about how much action there is on ROR from deadline buyers and if Colorado subscribes to the theory that the best time to move a guy and maximize the return is around the deadline.

I could see Murray getting ROR at the deadline if he moves.

He's not afraid to pay the price to get a guy he likes.

If Buffalo is serious about extending O'Reilly, I'd suggest we wait till the summer.

You know when there's the girl you've liked for a really long time? You ask her out after you've got the nice job and the new car...not when your unemployed and driving a 93 Geo Metro.

The Sabres at the draft will have a nice job and new car

The Sabres now are the fat unemployed slob driving the ford tempo.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
If Buffalo is serious about extending O'Reilly, I'd suggest we wait till the summer.

You know when there's the girl you've liked for a really long time? You ask her out after you've got the nice job and the new car...not when your unemployed and driving a 93 Geo Metro.

The Sabres at the draft will have a nice job and new car

The Sabres now are the fat unemployed slob driving the ford tempo.

Does ROR need surgery on something? Anything? He can get calf implants for all I care. I have no problem with him "recovering" for the remainder of the season.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I wouldn't add to that.

Especially not a pick in the 31 to 33 range...

A second round pick should not deter you from getting a player you want. I assume the contract uncertainty is driving that wedge?

SabresBillsBuffalo

May 4, 2010
Buffalo
ROR having a bad year, if a pending UFA and you guys want to trade one of our best forwards for him? Why.

Grigorenko,MCCabe and Ennis is way overvalued for ROR, the dude isn't anything mind blowingly special. If kane on a better contract than ROR is gonna ask for and Kane is probably just as good as ROR why give up that?

Give them Stew other late first(even though it's a deep draft so that sucks) and find little prospects to part ways with. If you're gonna trade grigorenko you do not add pivotal players like Psysk or Ennis in that deal.
I wouldn't want McCabe gone either. We need depth at defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad