Roster Speculation 2013-14 Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
If his contract expires, he's fair game.

If it expires in a year or two, I think he can be drafted, just not brought over.
Older players were eligible to be drafted under pre-2005 CBA's, but since then, the oldest a player can be is 22.

Isn't this the same situation as Brunner. He wasn't drafted before he signed for the red wings.
Brunner was a different because he came from a league that had a transfer agreement with the NHL (at the time anyways, one is not currently in place AFAIK), meaning all contracts had NHL out clauses that could be used from the end of the season until around the middle of August.
The KHL doesn't have one and out clauses are forbidden, so they only way a player can get out of a contract is via mutual termination or a buyout paid by the player.

Kovar's contract expires 4/30/2016.

Rebirth

Oct 20, 2012
Older players were eligible to be drafted under pre-2005 CBA's, but since then, the oldest a player can be is 22.

Brunner was a different because he came from a league that had a transfer agreement with the NHL (at the time anyways, one is not currently in place AFAIK), meaning all contracts had NHL out clauses that could be used from the end of the season until around the middle of August.
The KHL doesn't have one and out clauses are forbidden, so they only way a player can get out of a contract is via mutual termination or a buyout paid by the player.

Kovar's contract expires 4/30/2016.

Ok thanks

Last edited:

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
The kid is 16, this year is his first year in the WHL. I posted an article a few posts above that explained Barzal a bit but I will re-quote it for you.

source: http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jr...enson-lead-whl-offensive-surge-232710063.html

I also found some footage from a scout reel during one of his games pre WHL

Another article written on Barzal

source: - http://hockeynow.ca/major-junior/barzal-living-up-to-billing-as-top-2-pick-for-2015-draft

Thanks

Ness

New Age Retro Hippie
Dec 5, 2008
Denver
Haven't been following Rochester much this year. Who are the next call-ups if Moulson/Ott/Tallinder/whoever else are moved at the deadline? Armia? Catenacci?

ZeroPT*

Haven't been following Rochester much this year. Who are the next call-ups if Moulson/Ott/Tallinder/whoever else are moved at the deadline? Armia? Catenacci?

I'm sure Pysyk will be recalled post olympic break. I personnally would like to see girgs moved down for the AHL playoffs or earlier in order to regain offensive confidence. Is Latvia in the WC's this year?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Leo Komarov

As a fan, would you want the Sabres to sign Leo Komarov for next season? We may need his agitating style depending on the status of our other players: Ott (trade?), McCormick (UFA), Kaleta (suspension history), Konopka (UFA- is he an agitator?).

An unrestricted free agent this summer, Komarov is open to returning to the Leafs and the city of Toronto, but he appears more focused on simply getting back into the NHL however possible.
http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/blogs/jonas_siegel/?id=443384

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
As a fan, would you want the Sabres to sign Leo Komarov for next season? We may need his agitating style depending on the status of our other players: Ott (trade?), McCormick (UFA), Kaleta (suspension history), Konopka (UFA- is he an agitator?).

I think he is definitely worth a shot. Can be useful fourth liner, but has also potential to be effective in the more offensive lines as well. Is also a "character guy". Give him two year deal with about 1,5 million. Lose practically nothing but have an opportunity to have a useful player.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
I'm sure Pysyk will be recalled post olympic break. I personnally would like to see girgs moved down for the AHL playoffs or earlier in order to regain offensive confidence. Is Latvia in the WC's this year?

i'm skeptical about that. i think Murray view McNabb and Pysyk as future pieces of this rebuild and wants them to go on a playoff run paired together.

Ruhwedel definitely comes back though.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
i'm skeptical about that. i think Murray view McNabb and Pysyk as future pieces of this rebuild and wants them to go on a playoff run paired together.

You really think so?

I know he mentioned him a few times after talking about Risto, Zads and Pysyk but I'm wondering if its to keep teams interested for trade purposes.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005

He was a man among boys last year in Rochester, I don't see the point of sending him down now. You don't demote guys who throw 13 checks in a game, even if they're struggling to find the back of the net on one of the worst offensive teams in the past 4 decades.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
You really think so?

I know he mentioned him a few times after talking about Risto, Zads and Pysyk but I'm wondering if its to keep teams interested for trade purposes.

edit: misread the post.

yes, i do. i think he values his willingness to jump in the play and carry the puck.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
He was a man among boys last year in Rochester, I don't see the point of sending him down now. You don't demote guys who throw 13 checks in a game, even if they're struggling to find the back of the net on one of the worst offensive teams in the past 4 decades.

That exactly why you send them down. Offensive confidence is an elusive thing and any chance to build it should be taken. That he hits a lot is not an adequate reason to keep him here. That's just part of his overall skill package that needs developing.

He was a man among boys for a very small window. Lets not act like he is above the AHL at this point.

toejam56

May 2, 2013
Witness protection
Double edged sword here.
If Buffalo can shed dead wood in Sulzer, Tallinder and McBain and recall Pysyk, McNabb and Ruh....because...wait for it...they are better.....then Rochester defense is gutted and Rochester fan starts crying because the Sabres don't care and Rochester won't make the playoffs and win the Calder.....
If the timing is right, Rochester gets Austin and maybe McCabe though.
added-Girgs should be made eligible to help Rochester make the playoffs.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Double edged sword here.
If Buffalo can shed dead wood in Sulzer, Tallinder and McBain and recall Pysyk, McNabb and Ruh....because...wait for it...they are better.....then Rochester defense is gutted and Rochester fan starts crying because the Sabres don't care and Rochester won't make the playoffs and win the Calder.....
If the timing is right, Rochester gets Austin and maybe McCabe though.
added-Girgs should be made eligible to help Rochester make the playoffs.

They are not looking to get rid of people at the deadline. They are looking to gain assets for players that have value. Sulzer isn't going anywhere nor is McBain. Tallinder is likely going because he has value.

toejam56

May 2, 2013
Witness protection
They are not looking to get rid of people at the deadline. They are looking to gain assets for players that have value. Sulzer isn't going anywhere nor is McBain. Tallinder is likely going because he has value.
Read where Calgary's resigning or Russell upped the value of Tallinder. Thats good.
Just because we think McBain sucks, somebody might think he provides depth. Caveot emptor...
Sulzer.....well....he just sucks. Waive him to Rochester. Give Ruh/McNabb/Pysyk some NHL time.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Read where Calgary's resigning or Russell upped the value of Tallinder. Thats good.
Just because we think McBain sucks, somebody might think he provides depth. Caveot emptor...
Sulzer.....well....he just sucks. Waive him to Rochester. Give Ruh/McNabb/Pysyk some NHL time.

I feel incredibly confident he will not be someone teams are looking to bolster their roster for the playoffs with. Plus he is a RFA so we have team control and he adds depth for next season. He isn't going anywhere.

Not to mention your goal of getting Ruh/McNabb/Psysk all up here is not really a goal the team needs to be worrying about right now. The goal at the deadline is to maximize assets not open roster spots for youngsters. One may lead to the other but its not the focal point.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Tallinder will be moved I could see a team taking a flyer on McBain in maybe a hockey trade and then Sulzer as maybe a throw in, but our throw in could be syd or Parker.

toejam56

May 2, 2013
Witness protection
I feel incredibly confident he will not be someone teams are looking to bolster their roster for the playoffs with. Plus he is a RFA so we have team control and he adds depth for next season. He isn't going anywhere.

Not to mention your goal of getting Ruh/McNabb/Psysk all up here is not really a goal the team needs to be worrying about right now. The goal at the deadline is to maximize assets not open roster spots for youngsters. One may lead to the other but its not the focal point.
I don't think getting all 3 up to the NHL is the plan, but if Tallinder goes, rotate them up/down.
Plus...as it seems...there will be injuries...
My convoluted point was even if they wanted all 3 up with Buffalo, they will take into account Rochesters needs.

ZeroPT*

Well, in some of the interviews where he was asked what kind of team he wants to build, GMTM has said he likes good puck moving defensman and D-men with good passing. Sounds like Pysyk to me.

As JoshJull already said, he has more to learn in the AHL, than in the NHL at this point. I'd like to develop his offensive game some more.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012

Komarov would be a welcome addition to this team, Burmistrov too. I would hope the Sabres would look into it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad