Speculation: Roster Speculation 15-16, Part XIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
The thing is that you are then tying up a ton of cap up front and you still have the big needs at LHD.

We also have the unknown about how ZG looks with 15 & 23 down the stretch. He might actually be a better fit on that line than Nash would be.

Let's go on the hypothetical of acquiring Nash with ZERO salary return (just picks/prospects).

You move out franson for a mid round pick, leaves you with 5M to add a d-man. Assuming you are moving out one of Foligno or Girgensons to improve the D, that would give us plenty of space.

CapFriendly.com Armchair-GM User-Generated Roster

FORWARDS (13)
Rightwing: T. Ennis ($4,600,000) - S. Reinhart ($894,167) - B. Gionta ($4,250,000) - N. Deslauriers ($900,000)
Centre: R. O'Reilly ($7,500,000) - J. Eichel ($925,000) - J. Larsson ($1,750,000) - T. Schaller ($900,000)
Leftwing: E. Kane ($5,250,000) - R. Nash ($7,800,000) - Z. Girgensons ($2,750,000) - M. Foligno ($2,500,000) - M. Moulson ($5,000,000)

DEFENSE (5)
Right: R. Ristolainen ($6,000,000) - Z. Bogosian ($5,142,857) - M. Pysyk ($1,125,000)
Left: J. Gorges ($3,900,000) - J. McCabe ($1,250,000)

GOALTENDER (2)
R. Lehner ($2,225,000) - C. Johnson ($1,250,000)

BUYOUTS
C. Hodgson ($0) - C. Ehrhoff ($0) - V. Leino ($0)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 20
NHL Salary Cap: $73,000,000
LTIR: $1,500,000
Cap Hit: $67,953,691
Cap Space: $5,046,309

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
CoHo counts $541,666 against the cap next year according to General Fanager.

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/buffalo-sabres

You also probably have the team carrying a 7th D, so it's around $4.5M + whatever goes out in further deals to get a top LHD and a 7th D.

They have enough space to make it work and Nash only having 2 years left so he's off the books when 15 & 23 hit RFA. The biggest thing with Nash for me is that he would be another overpaid guy. Going that route worries me.

Although, if he can get anywhere near the 42 goals he had last year playing with 15 & 23.......

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Rick Nash is basically Evander Kane on steroids. I'm just not sure that another puck hog is what we need. Not that I would hate it, I just have a hard time envisioning chemistry with Eichel.

boots electric

Mar 12, 2008
Another thing about bringing in Nash:

the Rags would be looking to dump him primarily for cap reasons...ie, no salary retention. If he keeps scoring at or near a 20-30g pace the next season and a half, I think Buffalo could recoup most of the assets they would theoretically have to trade away acquiring him by just retaining 50% of his hit and trading him to a contender at the deadline as he heads into UFA, despite him being two years older.

That's of course assuming the Sabres find themselves outside of the playoff picture again, which obviously no one wants. If they're comfortably in the picture, you just hold on to him.

Assuming the cost of acquiring him is relatively low, it's win-win in my opinion.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Another thing about bringing in Nash:

the Rags would be looking to dump him primarily for cap reasons...ie, no salary retention. If he keeps scoring at or near a 20-30g pace the next season and a half, I think Buffalo could recoup most of the assets they would theoretically have to trade away acquiring him by just retaining 50% of his hit and trading him to a contender at the deadline as he heads into UFA, despite him being two years older.

That's of course assuming the Sabres find themselves outside of the playoff picture again, which obviously no one wants. If they're comfortably in the picture, you just hold on to him.

Assuming the cost of acquiring him is relatively low, it's win-win in my opinion.

The only lose part is if acquiring him has an opportunity cost of not being able to make a significant move on D.

If they can make moves that include adding Nash and upgrading on D, then it's all good unless Nash's production goes in the tank or he has a huge injury.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Every move cannot and should not be viewed through the lens of "How would _____ look with Eichel?" First, we have at least one other really good center in ROR, and possibly a second if the team uses Reinhart at C in the long-term - I think they do. Second, if Eichel is as advertised, and continues developing on the curve that he should, he should be able to make everyone better - or, at the very least, still be able to get his goals and points in high quantities, regardless of linemates.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I do think that Nash is a lot more well-rounded player than Vanek.

He has been a regular penalty killer in Rangers and in overall his two-way game is way above Vanek's (Vanek's defensive game was non-existent while Nash's is actually pretty good). Nash's GA60 numbers have been pretty good in Rangers despite his tough match-upping.

Nash absolutely would be a real good add, and his horrid contract doesn't really mean anything for us.

The only question is that would he be willing to come to Buffalo. If he would be willing, he could be had for a really low cost (see Patrick Sharp).

Nash is better defensively than Vanek was.

Let's go on the hypothetical of acquiring Nash with ZERO salary return (just picks/prospects).

You move out franson for a mid round pick, leaves you with 5M to add a d-man. Assuming you are moving out one of Foligno or Girgensons to improve the D, that would give us plenty of space.

CapFriendly.com Armchair-GM User-Generated Roster

FORWARDS (13)
Rightwing: T. Ennis ($4,600,000) - S. Reinhart ($894,167) - B. Gionta ($4,250,000) - N. Deslauriers ($900,000)
Centre: R. O'Reilly ($7,500,000) - J. Eichel ($925,000) - J. Larsson ($1,750,000) - T. Schaller ($900,000)
Leftwing: E. Kane ($5,250,000) - R. Nash ($7,800,000) - Z. Girgensons ($2,750,000) - M. Foligno ($2,500,000) - M. Moulson ($5,000,000)

DEFENSE (5)
Right: R. Ristolainen ($6,000,000) - Z. Bogosian ($5,142,857) - M. Pysyk ($1,125,000)
Left: J. Gorges ($3,900,000) - J. McCabe ($1,250,000)

GOALTENDER (2)
R. Lehner ($2,225,000) - C. Johnson ($1,250,000)

BUYOUTS
C. Hodgson ($0) - C. Ehrhoff ($0) - V. Leino ($0)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 20
NHL Salary Cap: $73,000,000
LTIR: $1,500,000
Cap Hit: $67,953,691
Cap Space: $5,046,309

Hodgson has a $500,000 cap hit for his buyout.

McCormick can be used for LTIR space--the one issue is it doesn't open up the door for you to sign a player for $5M. At the start of the season a eam needs to comply with the cap rules. So they likely need to send Reinhart and Eichel down to Rochester then call them up after putting McCormick on LTIR.

I don't see the cap going up to $73M. latest reports I heard said it was not changing or going down.

I could see Ennis, Foligno and Pysyk/Bogosian used in acquisiitions.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Rick Nash is basically Evander Kane on steroids. I'm just not sure that another puck hog is what we need. Not that I would hate it, I just have a hard time envisioning chemistry with Eichel.

This is where I'm at on the Rick Nash issue. He's not what we need but if the opportunity presents itself and doesn't cost many assets, I'd be down. Rick Nash was expected to carry a lot of the load in the playoffs, but they weren't very deep in scoring, so he was neutralized. He wasn't bad in the playoffs though. Like Kane, he's enjoyable to watch, as most puck hogs are.

And you're never going to find the perfect player available - sometimes you take what you can get. I was shocked when LA took Gaborik, but the options are limited in this league.

Every move cannot and should not be viewed through the lens of "How would _____ look with Eichel?" First, we have at least one other really good center in ROR, and possibly a second if the team uses Reinhart at C in the long-term - I think they do. Second, if Eichel is as advertised, and continues developing on the curve that he should, he should be able to make everyone better - or, at the very least, still be able to get his goals and points in high quantities, regardless of linemates.

Strongly agree. I never understood this line of thinking, for the reasons you listed and others. It should be the other way around, when you get a true star like Eichel. "Who can we buy low on that Eichel can turn into a legit top line player?" is the question I'm asking.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Scandinavian option:

- Draft Olli Juolevi
- Sign Loui Eriksson
- Trade for Toby Enstrom

Kane - O'Reilly - Ennis
Girgensons - Eichel - Eriksson
Foligno - Reinhart - Fasching
Carrier - Larsson - Gionta
x - Moulson, O'Reilly

Enstrom - Ristolainen
Gorges - Bogosian
McCabe - Pysyk
x - Franson

Lehner
Johnson

Keeping Moulson around for the expansion draft.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I have no problem with Nash shooting a lot. He should shoot a lot, he's an excellent goal-scorer. But I don't think the "puck hog" label is fitting; over the last two years, Nash has averaged 0.84 and 0.79 A1/60 mins (primary assists/60 minutes) at ES. Those are far better numbers than many of our wingers have posted over recent years, including Kane and Ennis. Nash is certainly not hurting his linemates, either, as Brassard has had his two best seasons as an NHL'er, and Zuccarello has performed well, too, with Nash on their line.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I have no problem with Nash shooting a lot. He should shoot a lot, he's an excellent goal-scorer. But I don't think the "puck hog" label is fitting; over the last two years, Nash has averaged 0.84 and 0.79 A1/60 mins (primary assists/60 minutes) at ES. Those are far better numbers than many of our wingers have posted over recent years, including Kane and Ennis. Nash is certainly not hurting his linemates, either, as Brassard has had his two best seasons as an NHL'er, and Zuccarello has performed well, too, with Nash on their line.

Agreed. I've never been a Nash fan, but that's related to him being a minimal effort player. He's certainly not comparable to E.Kane in that manner, and definitely not a pick hog player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad