Roster Speculation 15-16, Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-the-aftermath-of-the-mike-richards-settlement/

11. Buffalo Sabres GM Tim Murray is of the same mindset. Even with Robin Lehner out, the Sabres have zero need to make a silly trade for a goalie who either costs too much or doesn't really help. Murray said Saturday night he’s going to let Chad Johnson have a run, and the netminder responded with 22 saves in Monday’s 4-2 win over Columbus. What could make this interesting is the readiness of 22-year-old Linus Ullmark. He’s a good prospect coming off double-hip surgery who made 38 saves in his North American debut Saturday for AHL Rochester. If Buffalo decides he’s ready for a look, the goaltending future in Western New York has potential to change.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
" Sabres have zero need to make a silly trade for a goalie who either costs too much or doesn't really help. "

What an odd about face from Murray.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
Regarding the discussion of Reinhart's ice time/linemates that started late in the last thread, I see absolutely no issue with him skating fourth-line minutes with Legwand and Deslauriers and getting some PP time. It's a fine way to break him in -- it's not like Grigo skating with Scott and Kaleta a few years back. Des and Legwand are legit.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Regarding the discussion of Reinhart's ice time/linemates that started late in the last thread, I see absolutely no issue with him skating fourth-line minutes with Legwand and Deslauriers and getting some PP time. It's a fine way to break him in -- it's not like Grigo skating with Scott and Kaleta a few years back. Des and Legwand are legit.

agreed.

everyone tries to apply the "more minutes/bigger role in the AHL" argument universally. It's not always the case. I don't think an elite talent like Reinhart benefits from more shifts against lesser and slower talent in the AHL at all.

Reinhart is just fine where he is. Hopefully he gets more opportunities when someone is dinged up (like he was when Gionta was out), or when another young player needs a reminder, coupled with some PP opportunities.

Castrophy

Feb 26, 2015
Oswego, NY
Haven't really been a fan of Foligno with Eichel and Kane. I'd rather see someone more skilled with them. I get that Foligno is there to add a bit of grit but I think Kane can, and has played with more then enough grit. I think adding someone like Larsson or even Ennis to the Kane and Eichel pairing would generate a lot more offense.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
agreed.

everyone tries to apply the "more minutes/bigger role in the AHL" argument universally. It's not always the case. I don't think an elite talent like Reinhart benefits from more shifts against lesser and slower talent in the AHL at all.

Reinhart is just fine where he is. Hopefully he gets more opportunities when someone is dinged up (like he was when Gionta was out), or when another young player needs a reminder, coupled with some PP opportunities.

My point was that I thought he had earned more ice time on the big club and that treating him with kid gloves is the wrong way to handle it. If disco is planning on using him that way then I disagree that playing third/fourth liners in the NHL is better for him then playing top prospects and 13th forwards in the AHL. Id say it's the same, what I want to see is him getting heavy third period, close game minutes. I'd like to see him getting at worst third line minutes, and when the game is on the line in the third he still sees a regular shift instead of getting stapled to the bench. I just don't like how Dan is deploying him and I think it's defeating the purpose of having him up.

Also, I appreciate the irony of "don't use blanket statements" in the middle of a blanket statement. But I'm a big fan of irony so....

Onslow

Mar 25, 2015
Here and There
Haven't really been a fan of Foligno with Eichel and Kane. I'd rather see someone more skilled with them. I get that Foligno is there to add a bit of grit but I think Kane can, and has played with more then enough grit. I think adding someone like Larsson or even Ennis to the Kane and Eichel pairing would generate a lot more offense.

Zemgus looked solid with them

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
agreed.

I don't see the benefit of playing WITH lesser and slower talent in the NHL. With the benefit of hindsight, we're going to pretend that's ever been a successful method? High end talent developing with 4th liners. I hope this won't be a thing for any extended period of time.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I don't see the benefit of playing WITH lesser and slower talent in the NHL. With the benefit of hindsight, we're going to pretend that's ever been a successful method? High end talent developing with 4th liners. I hope this won't be a thing for any extended period of time.

Playing against better and faster talent...

Stamkos started on the 4th line.

Reinhart doesn't really need to develop his "skill" or his "IQ"... That's what time in the AHL is for.

He needs to play against NHL talent, at NHL speed, on an NHL schedule, with NHL teammates

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

It's become somewhat clear that Foligno is just placeholding on that line for Gionta

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I actually don't get the criticism. Reinhart has played very well.

Me either. Perhaps because he's not setting the world alight? I don't know. I'm impressed with the little things he does well, particularly given his age. Adaptability would just be a boon.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
I don't look at Reinhart as being sheltered or see the bottom 6 as a demotion in any way. Bylsma is using Reinhart in a way that allows Eichel to feast on O-zone starts is how it looks to me, but I could be rationalizing things.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
With the benefit of hindsight, we're going to pretend that's ever been a successful method? High end talent developing with 4th liners.

Drouin started on the 4th line with PP time. In fact, right now I'd say Reinhart is getting "The Drouin Treatment". Might be a little early to say that it definitely worked with JD, but he's got 4 points in 4 games and last I checked he's playing on Stamkos' wing regularly.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Perhaps because he's not setting the world alight? I'm impressed with the little things he does well, particularly given his age. Adaptability would just be a boon.

You pretty much answered your own question.

The "average" fan sees Sam as a #2 overall pick and therefore must be playing top line minutes and scoring at a near ppg rate in his 2nd post draft year. Period, end of discussion. Since Sam isn't doing these things and isn't even playing in the top 6, the logical assumption is that he isn't good enough for the NHL and thus should be in Rochester. It doesn't matter what little things he does right....he was a #2 pick and thus should be putting up points in a manner befitting such.

Meanwhile, most of us here see the little things that he does so incredibly well (primarily, always in the exact right place at the exact right time) and see that while he does need to improve on some things.....he's progressing well.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Byslma and Murray need their heads examined, burying not one, but two players picked 2nd overall on the 4th line. :sarcasm:

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Through three games, Bylsma showing coaching savvy

One of the fundamental questions in hockey is: How do I know if my team’s coach is good?

We know that wins and losses don’t always tell the story. Talent is the No. 1 difference maker in who wins. There’s also luck and the fickle nature of goalies. But the growth in statistics has given us more information to judge coaches with that goes beyond, “he doesn’t yell at his players on the bench!â€

When analyzing statistics, sample size is always a huge deal. A goalie can have a .930 save percentage in 40 games and still turn out to be bad (Hi, Cristobal Huet!) just like a forward can average a point-per-game for a few weeks but may not be able to keep it up for 82 games.

In the case of Dan Bylsma, however, it has only taken three games to be able to see some of his smarts behind the bench being revealed in the numbers.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

Drouin started on the 4th line with PP time. In fact, right now I'd say Reinhart is getting "The Drouin Treatment". Might be a little early to say that it definitely worked with JD, but he's got 4 points in 4 games and last I checked he's playing on Stamkos' wing regularly.

Stamkos was on the 4th line for what? 2 months? His ozone faceoffs in 08-09 was 58% which is not 4th line conducive. Also, they are two completely different players. Throwing out singular examples is useless. Grigorenko. See what I did there. He needs experience with skill players not 5 shifts a night against checking lines only later having to again adapt to different style teammates.

E: With that, he's light years ahead of last season and better than just a month ago. No doubt he's been consistently on point with positioning (triangles and such) and even better defensively.

EE: Although I truly believe in my evaluations, I've been wrong about him being in Buffalo to start the season. Either way, it's just great to see him progressing. We'll have plenty of firepower when that next d man becomes available. Whoever it may be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia