Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
You sound like a total sad sack with the way you post here

Palms either gets moved or sticks. He's got at minimum one more great year left. He's the reason why this damn team even made it to the dance
Do you watch any team other than the Isles? Do you see the way Florida, Dallas and the Rangers play and truly say to yourself “wow the Islanders could beat them in a 7 games series”? This team is not competitive with those teams, and every statistic, basic or advanced, supports that observation. I’m not a “sad sack” because I choose to be realistic with where this team stands.

Reactions: Ishkabible and MJF

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
They can't afford to wait until the deadline to move them, there's too much risk.
Plus in-season transactions are much more difficult to complete from a cap standpoint.

I’m still sticking with my initial gut proposal which was something around Nelson for Rossi.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
The amount of bandwidth used here this offseason to suggest necessary changes that Lou will never implement is going to be like 1,000 to 1.

The 2024 opening night roster is going to be 90% the same of what it is now when it needs to be so much more different than that.
Every potential trade involves us robbing Peter to pay Paul. Until that changes, we will not see anything that moves the needle.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I’d have to think Nelson would have trade more value than Palmieri, so from a return standpoint Nelson is the one to go.

Palmieri is also the only true right shot winger that fits anywhere near an NHL top six (is Barzal truly converted to wing?).
Both Nelson and Palms should go. Nelson because his return can solve some problems in terms of young talent coming back, and a 1st round pick in 2025. Palmieri because he can return a 2nd and a prospect.

They can't afford to wait until the deadline to move them, there's too much risk.
Agreed. With Palmieri’s injury history, you don’t want to get caught trying to trade him and he gets concussed in a game.

Nelson is the player you can hold out dealing until the 2025 TDL.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
So I didn't like the trade at the time it happened. I thought Romanov was pretty bad last year, but took a major step forward this year. This version of Romanov is probably OK at that cost. The main issue I have is that Romanov is still not great offensively. He is fine. Dobson is the only offensively competent dman in the top 4. Pelech has regressed significantly since his contract, as has Pulock. Neither are particularly effective at transition and in the offensive zone.

So while the trade looks much better this year, IMO, the Isles still haven't replaced Toews. Dobson's rise this season is one of the main reasons this wasn't a lottery team.
I don't disagree with that. I've been harping on needing another PMD in the top 4 as maybe the biggest need on the team, and I was calling for an upgrade on Toews and Leddy when we had them (they were both fine in transition but not as dangerous offensive zone players - especially on the PP).

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Both Nelson and Palms should go. Nelson because his return can solve some problems in terms of young talent coming back, and a 1st round pick in 2025. Palmieri because he can return a 2nd and a prospect.

Agreed. With Palmieri’s injury history, you don’t want to get caught trying to trade him and he gets concussed in a game.

Nelson is the player you can hold out dealing until the 2025 TDL.

I'm with it, then trade JGP too for a couple of 2nds. Down the middle:
Horvat
Barzal
Cizikas
MacLean

No half measures. Didn't win shit with Horvat-Barzal together and they'll still be linked at the hip on PP and OT.

Reactions: Ishkabible and MJF

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
In what world do the Islanders get 2 2nd for JGP

I’d like to live in that world

And I'd like to live in a world where Lou protectively trades aging/declining vets before he signs them to long-term deals. As opposed to only dealing vets when he's up against the cap and forced to.

Actually first I'd like to live in a world where Lou isn't GM and is replaces by someone (much) younger who is more concerned with the top line than the middle 6.

Alas we live in a world where Lou is "leading" this team to the worst possible place to be in the NHL - The Bermuda Triangle of averageness and up against the cap, where you're not a Cup contender and not a lottery team.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
I don't disagree with that. I've been harping on needing another PMD in the top 4 as maybe the biggest need on the team, and I was calling for an upgrade on Toews and Leddy when we had them (they were both fine in transition but not as dangerous offensive zone players - especially on the PP).
we miss either one of Toews and Leddy. Mike Reilly has been solid at the very least but I really wish we had a third puck mover. Then again, im greedy

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
In what world do the Islanders get 2 2nd for JGP

I’d like to live in that world

Anaheim is looking for a veteran Center and have the cap space. On the main board a Ducks poster said JGP is exactly what they're looking for.

I apologize, it was 2 3rds that was the proposal. Poster seemed level headed and seemed like a fair deal.

FoxYou727

May 12, 2024
Los Angeles
Anaheim is looking for a veteran Center and have the cap space. On the main board a Ducks poster said JGP is exactly what they're looking for.

I apologize, it was 2 3rds that was the proposal. Poster seemed level headed and seemed like a fair deal.

2 teams called about Pager at the deadline. I'd assume Ottawa or Nashville, regardless even getting a 4th for Pager is a W since it opens up 5 million in cap space

Reactions: Tahoeblue

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I just want to go on record saying that the current version of JGP has zero chance of returning assets to the Isles without any salary retention.

It should be a GM's job to find a way to debunk such a statement if it's determined that moving away from that player is in the best interest of the organization and the plan moving forward.

Reactions: Osakahaus

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
I really don't think in these days, where even fans can filter stuff out by paying attention to advanced stats, that any team will trade for Palmieri. He had some hot stretches, and did well on the PP.

imo it was an Islanders player's worst 30 goal season since the days of the Polish Prince. He avoids the criticism because he's got no shortage of grit, but he was simply awful everywhere but deep in the offensive zone, and especially in the neutral zone.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I really don't think in these days, where even fans can filter stuff out by paying attention to advanced stats, that any team will trade for Palmieri. He had some hot stretches, and did well on the PP.

imo it was an Islanders player's worst 30 goal season since the days of the Polish Prince. He avoids the criticism because he's got no shortage of grit, but he was simply awful everywhere but deep in the offensive zone, and especially in the neutral zone.
A GM sees that he’s one of 47 players to score 30 goals. He can pay Palms $5M on a short term deal or pay 30 goal scorer that played with Crosby, Guentzel, $7-8M on a 7/8 year deal. Is Guentzel a better overall player and has like 30 more assists? Yup.

However, a team could look to short term bump and value. Sometimes it’s just that simple - I want a goal scorer.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad