Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I think a Palmieri trade is the most realistic "big" move that might happen this offseason. After that I wouldn't be shocked at some type of Pageau deal or a Romanov-esque 1st-round pick for young player swap.

As for all the other moves people here want to see -- Nelson, Pelech, Pulock, buy out Lee, etc. -- I think Lamoriello himself fills in on the 4th line before any of those deals have a chance at happening.
I feel that this lines up well with an Ottawa Shane Pinto trade. He might become a possibility if there is concern with him re-signing there.

Yes, he is a local Long Islander... But his age, 6'3" frame, right-handed shot, solid college numbers and professional stat line (that projects well as a second liner) are the reasons why he would be coveted... not his local boy status.

Last edited:

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Trade Nelson and Palmieri who are UFA's this year. Trade Lee and Pageau next year when they are UFA's. Some of them will bring back value, some of them may incur costs. Either way, trying to do everything in one offseason will not work out well.

Especially, when throwing around "buyouts" as a possibility. Salary retention (Lee and Pageau) for one year is always a better option. Besides Lee and Pageau might up their value if they have a better season, much Like Palmieri did this past year.

Disclaimer: This is what I would do, not suggesting Lou will.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
I know that reunions are often low effort thinking posts but bringing in Beauvillier for a fourth line role would be a great addition.
depends on the cost...if it's like a 1M for 1 or 2 years and he stays on 3rd or 4th line, I'm fine with that.

Except you know he'd be playing LW with Horvat and Barzal by Halloween....
That would be the fear....Especially if Brazal and him are still close friends.

MarsTBOW

Jun 30, 2014
Ct.
depends on the cost...if it's like a 1M for 1 or 2 years and he stays on 3rd or 4th line, I'm fine with that.

That would be the fear....Especially if Brazal and him are still close friends.

Attachments

• Oh Nooooooo.gif
    Oh Nooooooo.gif
    3.6 MB · Views: 1

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Kyle Palmieri scored 30 goals two times, 10 years apart.

Now that Palmieri is 33 years old I can't imagine too many 30 goal seasons left in his tank. Trading Palms now would be selling high.
But we live in the magical Isles Land where players don’t age and asset management is irrelevant

Reactions: MJF and Ishkabible

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
But we live in the magical Isles Land where players don’t age and asset management is irrelevant
You sound like a total sad sack with the way you post here

Palms either gets moved or sticks. He's got at minimum one more great year left. He's the reason why this damn team even made it to the dance

Reactions: LeapOnOver

JPIsles18

Jul 12, 2022
Agreed. Also, factoring in lateral mobility, he might be the team's best all-around skater on D. Romanov was my favorite non-Isles player in the league before the trade, so maybe I'm biased, but if people accept him for what he is and don't expect a lot of offense, he's not part of the problem at all and should be a keeper.
So I didn't like the trade at the time it happened. I thought Romanov was pretty bad last year, but took a major step forward this year. This version of Romanov is probably OK at that cost. The main issue I have is that Romanov is still not great offensively. He is fine. Dobson is the only offensively competent dman in the top 4. Pelech has regressed significantly since his contract, as has Pulock. Neither are particularly effective at transition and in the offensive zone.

So while the trade looks much better this year, IMO, the Isles still haven't replaced Toews. Dobson's rise this season is one of the main reasons this wasn't a lottery team.

Reactions: FoxYou727

JPIsles18

Jul 12, 2022
We currently have 4 top 6 forwards: Barzal, Horvat, Nelson, Palmieri.

The first 3 are top line level talents. Palmieri is a second liner who just had an excellent season. However, he is 33. You can't trade him without a replacement in mind. Going the UFA route will likely land you another older player signed to a bad contract. A trade is probably the most efficient way to get this done.

In order for the Isles to actually contend for a cup, they need two top 6 forwards (3 if Palms is traded), and another top 4 puck moving dman.

Staple mentioned that they had an offer for JGP. Why Lou didn't pull the trigger is unknown. However, he's a mediocre GM that doesn't really have what it takes to actually put this team over the top. He's in love with a roster that nobody else thinks is good enough.

JGP is the first obvious move they can make. He makes top 6 money to be a very mediocre 3rd liner. I didn't know he had any value (without retention) until reading Staples article. We currently have two 3rd liners taking up 12 mil in cap. That's embarrassing. It's also been a narrative for years now without any steps taken to rectify it.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut

You sound like a total sad sack with the way you post here

Palms either gets moved or sticks. He's got at minimum one more great year left. He's the reason why this damn team even made it to the dance
You’re an optimist. I get it. There’s nothing wrong with that, but I think you’re being a bit unfair.

I also think you’re being remarkably generous regarding your take on the expectations for Palmieri next season. One month before the end of this past season, he had 15 goals before he went on a tear starting at the beginning of March. Does he get credit for that? Absolutely though I think the likelihood of that happening again is slim. Meanwhile, FWIW he was by far the worst plus/minus player on the team this year and was also the worst last year.

I completely agree with the recent post by @MJF. This is the perfect guy to sell high on. That’s especially true for team with a lower tier prospect pool.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
You’re an optimist. I get it. There’s nothing wrong with that, but I think you’re being a bit unfair.

I also think you’re being remarkably generous regarding your take on the expectations for Palmieri next season. One month before the end of this past season, he had 15 goals before he went on a tear starting at the beginning of March. Does he get credit for that? Absolutely though I think the likelihood of that happening again is slim. Meanwhile, FWIW he was by far the worst plus/minus player on the team this year and was also the worst last year.
If they are trading Palms then do it to a team who ultimately does believe they're a piece or two away. I like Palms but if they are, lets assume, way out by the time January or February hits, he and Nelson are on the table. He should also be on the table during the draft like Lou did with Beau a few years back.

I'll explore every avenue because i'm not gonna say no, but have due diligence

Reactions: The Real JT

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Noah Dobson was out of gas by the time we got into March. It really was Varly/Ilya/Horvat/Palmieri.
The guys you mentioned got us across the finish line. But…..

If Noah Dobson didn’t provide the offense he did during the regular season the Islanders are a lottery team.

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
If they are trading Palms then do it to a team who ultimately does believe they're a piece or two away. I like Palms but if they are, lets assume, way out by the time January or February hits, he and Nelson are on the table. He should also be on the table during the draft like Lou did with Beau a few years back.

Like you, I would not give Palmieri away for a middling return. Maybe the value isn’t there in the off-season despite his recent performance.

If so, then hold onto him until the TDL but make no mistake it’s entirely possible that at that point he’ll only have value if the Isles retain salary. The unlikely but real possibility that an aging player like Palmieri might get injured also needs to be considered.

Reactions: Osakahaus

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
The guys you mentioned got us across the finish line. But…..

If Noah Dobson didn’t provide the offense he did during the regular season the Islanders are a lottery team.
Dobson has his warts, but production wise is the closest thing to Mark Streit that this team has had since he left.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

They can't afford to wait until the deadline to move them, there's too much risk.

Reactions: Ishkabible and MJF

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I’d have to think Nelson would have trade more value than Palmieri, so from a return standpoint Nelson is the one to go.

Palmieri is also the only true right shot winger that fits anywhere near an NHL top six (is Barzal truly converted to wing?).

Reactions: Osakahaus and Lek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad