Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Of course he is. Lou will never resist keeping everyone on board...Even if he once traded them.

What happened to Beauvillier's game is more mysterious than whatever is going on with Sorokin. He's still only 26 and went 15-13-28 in only 43 games just 2 years ago. He's since been traded 3 times and for just a 5th round pick the last 2 deals (which were only 4 months apart). I mean for the Blackhawks to give up on him when they need (young) help everywhere in half a season really speaks volumes. You have to wonder if he really wants to play anymore.

I could see him being in the AHL/out of the league next season.

Honestly, I think he was so secure as an Islander and had his world so unexpectedly jumbled by the trade that the wheels that once established his inconsistency here with us just darn plain spun off entirely.

And I'm thinking that about the only thing that may knock him back on track is to be reunited with the Islander family and get to buy into a new role with fewer expectations.

The legs, hands, and tenacity are there for a highly efficient 4th line role.

Who knows, having a francophone like Roy behind the bench may even be another important plus in his situation?!

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Honestly, I think he was so secure as an Islander and had his world so unexpectedly jumbled by the trade that the wheels that once established his inconsistency here with us just darn plain spun off entirely.

And I'm thinking that about the only thing that may knock him back on track is to be reunited with the Islander family and get to buy into a new role with fewer expectations.

Who knows, having a francophone like Roy behind the bench may even be another important plus in his situation?!

I know that reunions are often low effort thinking posts but bringing in Beauvillier for a fourth line role would be a great addition.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I know that reunions are often low effort thinking posts but bringing in Beauvillier for a fourth line role would be a great addition.
Lou did a great thing in swapping his salary out in the Horvat trade. Beau played on 3 teams this year with teams eating his contract along the way.

He’s taking a 50% haircut minimum to stay in the league. Maybe Trotz keeps him around. I would be open to him on the Isles again, in a different role with different expectations at this stage.

He has to decide on a one year bounce back term or try to land some term on a 2/3 year deal at 1.75/2M p/year.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010

A francophone as a coach and a sapio girlfriend would at least compensate for his shortcomings . . .

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I think trading Nelson is crazy, Palmieri we’d be selling high and I’m ok with that

Nelson is 33 at the start of next season and has 1 year left to UFA. He's coming out of his prime and his next deal he will probably ask for around 8M/season (maybe more if the cap goes up enough), and it will end in his late 30's when he won't be the same player.

I tell you it's a lot crazier to give Nelson a long-term deal than it is to trade him before that.

And you know what's even more insane than that...? Letting him walk for nothing.

Last edited:

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
Pulock for Ehlers straight up. Bring Beau back. Move on from Pageau, get anything back. Sign Reilly. Move on from Clutter and Martin. Here's a shaken up roster:

Ehlers-Horvat-Barzal
Engvall-Nelson-Palmieri
Lee-Cizikas-Holmstrom
Beauvillier-MacLean-Fasching

Romanov-Dobson
Reilly-Mayfield
Pelech-X

Sorokin
Varly

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

I mean this is either grasping at straws or the most optimistic of optimism. I mean I guess it's possible Beauvillier is that mentally fragile that getting traded once (much less 3 times) ground his confidence down to near zero, but he does have too much talent to have been such a non-factor the last 3 years.

And to me what speaks loudest of all is that both the Canucks and Blackhawks gave up on him in less than a year. I mean no matter how low a player's confidence is what does it say that two franchises (and probably a 3rd in Nashville) want to GET RID OF a player (not just bench him) after so short for a basically nothing? If it was a confidence issue I find it hard to believe that would have given up so quick on a proven scored in this league who's still only 26.

That's why I think it's something else. Something else like his heart isn't into it anymore and maybe he's mentally quit and teams don't want that around their other players.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Would have to be for no more than 1M. Fasching was often more involved in the play than Beauvillier over the past two seasons and was able to penetrate the middle of the ice with some consistency, even if he skates like he’s wearing cinder blocks.

Great. Two guys with high motors and no hands.

If you make Fasching the other winger that line will combine for 10 goals. :facepalm:
Would much rather see Carrier brought in for a premium.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Right, sort of like when #13 beat barkov in a playoff a 3 or so years ago. It's a tough league for sure.
Both teams are pretty different from three years ago. FL has gotten a ton better, the Isles have gone in reverse. Tkachuk is their engine now too.

SCMURRAY

Jul 6, 2016
Long Island
Pulock for Ehlers straight up. Bring Beau back. Move on from Pageau, get anything back. Sign Reilly. Move on from Clutter and Martin. Here's a shaken up roster:

Ehlers-Horvat-Barzal
Engvall-Nelson-Palmieri
Lee-Cizikas-Holmstrom
Beauvillier-MacLean-Fasching

Romanov-Dobson
Reilly-Mayfield
Pelech-X

Sorokin
Varly

Id try to move on from Lee over JPG. Love Zeek but he's not really a 3C. LOVE Ehlers to the Island, sign me up. Would like to see Lou grab Durzi to replace Pulock

NYI365

Let's Go Islanders!
Jun 5, 2011
Merrick, NY
Id try to move on from Lee over JPG. Love Zeek but he's not really a 3C. LOVE Ehlers to the Island, sign me up. Would like to see Lou grab Durzi to replace Pulock

I would too but I think it's prob easier to move JGP instead of Lee. You can flip flop cizikas and MacLean as needed

warrior60

Dec 24, 2010
Hockey Town
Nelson is 33 at the start of next season and has 1 year left to UFA. He's coming out of his prime and his next deal he will probably ask for around 8M/season (maybe more if the cap goes up enough), and it will end in his late 30's when he won't be the same player.

I tell you it's a lot crazier to give Nelson a long-term deal than it is to trade him before that.

And you know what's even more insane than that...? Letting him walk for nothing.
And what if it was a more realistic contract like 2 year and 7 million.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad