Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2023-24: Hotel California

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Wahlstrom needs to reinvent himself, he isn’t a scorer but he is big and seems to not mind the physical part of game. He needs to work on D, maybe even learn to kill penalties and with his size and shot he could be a 3rd-4th line forward who scores 15 a year. The fact he never got in rotation up front down stretch doesn’t seem to bode well for him here IMO but we will see this summer.
I suppose he can have a heart to heart with Lou and Roy saying all the right things ''I'll play wherever you need me'' and they just go on from there . I'd imagine his trade value is zipp and sooner or later Maggio and Dufour will get long looks at camp before him

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
On Wahlstrom, lateral movement is critical to anyone playing hockey with skates , Wahlstrom just doesn’t have it .
Or without skates. My lateral movement wasn't great playing dekHockey. Straight ahead speed wasn't great either, but I still contributed offensively. Come to think of it, I was like the Ron Greshner of dekHockey, minus the money and Carol Alt.

Reactions: mm11

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Or without skates. My lateral movement wasn't great playing dekHockey. Straight ahead speed wasn't great either, but I still contributed offensively. Come to think of it, I was like the Ron Greshner of dekHockey, minus the money and Carol Alt.
Alt still looks good. After Gresh she hooked up with Yashin. She obviously likes hockey players. Tell her you played dek hockey. I think you got a shot.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
Alt still looks good. After Gresh she hooked up with Yashin. She obviously likes hockey players. Tell her you played dek hockey. I think you got a shot.
My wife might have an issue with that.

I'm virtually certain that I walked by Alt when I was at Hofstra - she was there the same time as me. Missed my chance, although I was a commuter student living at home and she was probably dating some guy with a Ferrari and a chain of restaurants. :laugh:

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
Problem is we have too many players with the above bolded condition, we need more guys who can drive and dominate games. I still play 2 or 3 times a week and even though I contribute on occasion, its not me that teams are worry about containing.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
My wife might have an issue with that.

I'm virtually certain that I walked by Alt when I was at Hofstra - she was there the same time as me. Missed my chance, although I was a commuter student living at home and she was probably dating some guy with a Ferrari and a chain of restaurants. :laugh:
I was at Hofstra in the late ‘70’s and early 80’s. I assume that’s about the same time given Alt’s age.

doublechili

Apr 11, 2006
I was at Hofstra in the late ‘70’s and early 80’s. I assume that’s about the same time given Alt’s age.
Yes, I think so. FWIW, I remember leaving the student center one day on my way to a class and I saw a brunette-haired girl who was the most beautiful girl I had ever seen. It had to be her. Before you ask why I didn't make a move, there were too many other guys blocking my way. :laugh:

Reactions: Glory Days

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I now officially declare it the offseason.

Unfortunately no matter what is "accomplished" this offseason this is basically the same team coming back for 24-25.

Years of pain are coming up. Depending on who your GM is it can be fewer years or much longer.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Unfortunately no matter what is "accomplished" this offseason this is basically the same team coming back for 24-25.

Years of pain are coming up. Depending on who your GM is it can be fewer years or much longer.

I think this is a super negative point of view. They need creative moves other than bring the whole team back. Just like last year if the plan is to run it back Lou has to go. The plan needs to be to shake the core up and add speed. Add speed in skating. Add speed in decision making. Add speed in the GM department of roster moves.

Hockey has never been a sport where long rebuilds are needed for a team in the position of the Islanders. Hockey is a sport where large shake ups to the core can immensely change the direction of an organization. Winnipeg and Vancouver are great examples of this. There was also a time where Boston was teetering on the edge of a rebuild and they made brilliant moves.

You forget how quickly this team went from losing Tavares and gaining bottom six players with hunger to their best run since the 1980's.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Ohhhh man, now we're getting a bit apocolyptic here.

I mean, the threat of rinse & repeat (my new fave phrase regarding Lou's summer activities) is certainly there. No doubt!

But I won't believe all the people in charge will simply let a lightly tweaked version of this year's team return as is next fall.

Alone having brought in Roy when they did tells me that they knew he may very realistically only be getting a view of what he can work with and will now have a good bit of input on what needs to be done line-upwise.

That all means - I don't think Lou gets to stay unless he's asked to change things. And if he is replaced, it will be for the prime purpose of changing things.

And I'd happily supply the organization with a to-do list of things requiring change and how that could ideally get done, should they need any suggestions. :naughty:

Last edited:

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
At the beginning of the season I wanted a 4th line of Fasching-Cizikas-Gauthier to shed the Clutter/Martin salary and to get younger.

I will double down and say I would like to see a Fasching-MacLean-Gauthier 4th line next season. They're younger, hungrier and cheaper.

Then you look at the number of Centers you have - Horvat, Barzal (I know, I know), Nelson, Pageau, Cizikas. Can you find dance partners for Nelson and Pageau? Are you comfortable with Horvat - Barzal - Cizikas - MacLean down the middle in order to acquire reinforcements elsewhere?

(I'm repeating myself from May 2023).

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
At the beginning of the season I wanted a 4th line of Fasching-Cizikas-Gauthier to shed the Clutter/Martin salary and to get younger.

I will double down and say I would like to see a Fasching-MacLean-Gauthier 4th line next season. They're younger, hungrier and cheaper.

Then you look at the number of Centers you have - Horvat, Barzal (I know, I know), Nelson, Pageau, Cizikas. Can you find dance partners for Nelson and Pageau? Are you comfortable with Horvat - Barzal - Cizikas - MacLean down the middle in order to acquire reinforcements elsewhere?

(I'm repeating myself from May 2023).
What I don’t want to see anymore of is Cizikas on the first line and Fasching on the second line. These are two guys with no hands in offensive roles. Roy has to change that.

IslandersGER

Dec 29, 2015
Deutschland
What I don’t want to see anymore of is Cizikas on the first line and Fasching on the second line. These are two guys with no hands in offensive roles. Roy has to change that.
right, you would think we had a ton of injured players to send these guys up front.
Cizikas was meant to do the dirty work for Barzal and Horvat. that plan is a disaster because Barzal and Horvat had to deliver but instead they were hiding behind Cizikas and nothing came from the 1st line, it was absolutely negated by the Canes. Isles cannot win a game relying on an aged 4th line or Lee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad