Roster rules

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
Do the rookies have to dress for 10 games to officially be “A” carded or just be on the active roster for 10 games?
I asked this question years ago and here's the answer I got it very summed up way.

There are really no such thing as A or B cards more of a X number of games limit as an emergency basis. Now that number is around 10 games but I have never heard of an actual ruling of X number of game cards just that each team has 30 Standard Player Agreements that they can offer to players each season and once you use them you burn them on that season.

Not so many seasons ago the Knights got bit by the injury bug and had to sign extra players to their roster to ice a team in turn they used up all 30 Agreements and couldn't make any deals at the deadline. I have heard rumors but nothing concrete.

Reactions: OMG67

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
When do rosters have to be down to 25? Hounds have 26, but one is injured for a few months so not sure if there is an Injured Reserve equivalent in this league that would allow our current roster to be in compliance?

I believe NHL deadline is Oct 10 to be in compliance. I suspect we would have a date around then for ours to accomodate NHL training camps sending back OHL players?

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
When do rosters have to be down to 25? Hounds have 26, but one is injured for a few months so not sure if there is an Injured Reserve equivalent in this league that would allow our current roster to be in compliance?

I believe NHL deadline is Oct 10 to be in compliance. I suspect we would have a date around then for ours to accomodate NHL training camps sending back OHL players?
Usually it's by the trade-deadline around January 10th or at least close to the 10th. I couldn't say for sure on the number of players for sure simply because OS management has never exceeded 24 active rosters since the management stepped in and took over in 2007-08.

As far as NHL camps sending players back I don't believe that they have a firm timeline to when they send players back versus assigning them to their affiliate clubs in the AHL or ECHL. In a lot of cases I believe that they send them back early so that they aren't effecting salary cap and to give these kids more development time, I've never heard of a firm date so speak of.

I remember the time that the Buffalo Sabers sent Nikita Zadorov back to London just after the OHL's trade-deadline so to sum it up no I don't think that the NHL has any firm date of sending players back.

bigsportsfan

Sep 28, 2012
Team are given 30 cards to sign players. If a player is traded or released, that card is discarded. There is no active roster maximum, but of course its impossible to exceed 30 players since you only have 30 cards.

Teams can call up any player on their affiliated team who is not the property of another OHL team, plus all of their previous draft picks who are still on their 50 man roster. In the past, players being called up were limited to 10 games, although at certain times of the season players can be called up without it being included in their 10 game limit. An example would be players called up during the World Juniors time period.

Last season call ups were allowed to play 20 games due to COVID. I am not sure of the number of games allowed this season.

One thing to keep in mind is that in order for a player to be called up, he must be carded on another team (i.e. The player plays Jr. A/B/C or U18 hockey). So all players who play a single regular season OHL game must be signed to one of the 30 OHL cards or has signed a card for another Junior or U18 hockey team.

Also, I believe once a player finishes the season with their Junior or U18 team (the season ends) that player can then be called up to the OHL team for an unlimited number of games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad