Roster rules

bigsportsfan

Sep 28, 2012
What are the roster regulations for the OHL. How many OA's, imports, etc. are allowed per team?
-3 OA's (a team can have more than 3 OA's on their roster but they can only dress 3 OA's and must cut down to 3 OA's on their roster just before the trade deadline)
-2 Imports
-4 Underagers (16 year olds) although if they trade for a 16 year old that 16 year old can play in addition to any underagers the team already has. However, 16 year olds cannot be traded unless they were drafted in the first round and even then they can only be traded during a short window in early January.
-30 Cards (Teams can sign a maximum of 30 players although each team has I believe 2 temporary cards that expire in late October or November)

Reactions: Tarantula

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Thanks! Now, how does the import draft work? I saw where Missy drafted a player who was drafted and played in Guelph last year, how does that work? Thanks again!

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
Thanks! Now, how does the import draft work? I saw where Missy drafted a player who was drafted and played in Guelph last year, how does that work? Thanks again!

he was released by guelph and therefore available for anyone to pick in the next import draft.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
-3 OA's (a team can have more than 3 OA's on their roster but they can only dress 3 OA's and must cut down to 3 OA's on their roster just before the trade deadline)...
Is there a limit to how many OAs prior to having to cut down to just 3? I thought it was 4, but the Firebirds currently seem to be carrying more than that.

Medway Bear

Sep 8, 2011
I thought you needed to be down to 4 OAs on the roster some time in November, although that might have changed.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
I thought you needed to be down to 4 OAs on the roster some time in November, although that might have changed.

Any team can have 4 OA's on there active roster but can only dress 3 per-game as the ruling address across the CHL ruling most team's who think they have a chance to go for the championship usually load up at trade deadline time with 19 year-olds and limited rookies usually 1-2.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Any team can have 4 OA's on there active roster but can only dress 3 per-game as the ruling address across the CHL ruling most team's who think they have a chance to go for the championship usually load up at trade deadline time with 19 year-olds and limited rookies usually 1-2.

You can only have 4 OAs on the roster until the OA deadline in early January. After that it has to be down to 3

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
You can have as many OAs on your roster that you want until a certain date in November when you have to be down to 4. On or about January 9th you have to be down to 3 or less.

Reactions: dirty12

road warrior

May 25, 2014
Can someone clarify the imports rules for me. I always thought that a team has 2 imports player slots only. If they want to select a new import in the draft then they have to drop the rights to 1 of their 2 current import players.

But at the beginning of this season London held the rights to
- Juolevi (waiting to see is Vancouver sends him back) I assume they've surrendered his rights now?
- Bratt
& Boqvist (they dropped rights to Kuokkanen to draft him)

How can they hold the rights to all 3 players at the beginning of the season?

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Can someone clarify the imports rules for me. I always thought that a team has 2 imports player slots only. If they want to select a new import in the draft then they have to drop the rights to 1 of their 2 current import players.

But at the beginning of this season London held the rights to
- Juolevi (waiting to see is Vancouver sends him back) I assume they've surrendered his rights now?
- Bratt
& Boqvist (they dropped rights to Kuokkanen to draft him)

How can they hold the rights to all 3 players at the beginning of the season?

If one of your imports is taken in the 1st round to the NHL (Juolevi was taken 5th overall), then you can select the rights to a 3rd import (still only 2 can play)

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
How many players can be on an OHL Active roster? My thought was 23. But, I really don’t know and the rule book doesn’t address that.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Do the rookies have to dress for 10 games to officially be “A” carded or just be on the active roster for 10 games?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Rookies can only be b carded if they play at a lower level. If they are just healthy scratched all year they are still a carded

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Rookies can only be b carded if they play at a lower level. If they are just healthy scratched all year they are still a carded

What I am getting at is Ottawa has 25 players on roster and I don’t anticipate them sending any players down. I think the plan is to give them an extra couple of weeks to figure out what they have before the do so.

My understanding is they can active roster rookies for up to 9 games and then send them down to Tier II and they wouldn’t be “A” carded. Is that accurate?

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
I believe it's 10 games they are allowed to dress, and can still be B carded. Yes.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Just to give a bit more background on this, back in 2018-2019 the Greyhounds started the year with 4x16 year olds on the roster including Dominic Mufarreh. He was healthy scratched most games and by Christmas had dressed for just 9 games. He was sent home where he played for Honeybaked for the rest of the season, and would have retroactively been assigned a B card that season.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I believe it's 10 games they are allowed to dress, and can still be B carded. Yes.
They have to play 10 games. They can be with the team and practice and such but they have to been on the gameday lineup to count as a game. Different for goalies. They can dress as backup but games don't count unless they come on the ice to play. Any portion of a game played counts as 1 game for goalies. Teams will shuffle kids in and out to keep them all under 10 until they have to/want to A card them. Now the start of of the year/season the games counted ties into the opening night of the NHL due to possible returning players so B players can play in lieu of them returning but I'm not totally clear on the what or when on this one?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
They have to play 10 games. They can be with the team and practice and such but they have to been on the gameday lineup to count as a game. Different for goalies. They can dress as backup but games don't count unless they come on the ice to play. Any portion of a game played counts as 1 game for goalies. Teams will shuffle kids in and out to keep them all under 10 until they have to/want to A card them. Now the start of of the year/season the games counted ties into the opening night of the NHL due to possible returning players so B players can play in lieu of them returning but I'm not totally clear on the what or when on this one?

That is an interesting wrinkle. I’d imagine the team would have to be missing a player in an NHL camp to be allowed to extend eligibility.

I know Dave Cameron stated he wanted to see more of the young kids this season in Ottawa because they all proved capable in the pre-season games. Regular season is a different animal. I wanted to get a sense of whether “extending the pre-season” evaluation into the regular season impacted the carding. It sounds like it won’t. Two extra forwards and two extra D-Men so he can rotate them through as needed until he knows what he wants to do.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
That is an interesting wrinkle. I’d imagine the team would have to be missing a player in an NHL camp to be allowed to extend eligibility.

I know Dave Cameron stated he wanted to see more of the young kids this season in Ottawa because they all proved capable in the pre-season games. Regular season is a different animal. I wanted to get a sense of whether “extending the pre-season” evaluation into the regular season impacted the carding. It sounds like it won’t. Two extra forwards and two extra D-Men so he can rotate them through as needed until he knows what he wants to do.
I believe the league just assigns a date linked to the NHL opening night or maybe a few days before. Once that date has passed all games count. Teams can't say player A is still at camp in November and not count games because he is still at camp. There is a defined date each year for this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad