Roster & Fantasy GM Thread Part II - Do Something

Status
Not open for further replies.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
This thread is unnecessary.
We all know that no GM will admit they wang to tank + Benning has been scouting his ass out in last few months

No team admits to straight up tanking. The word they use instead is "rebuild". They've denied that they are looking to or are in the process of rebuilding.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
This thread is unnecessary.
We all know that no GM will admit they wang to tank + Benning has been scouting his ass out in last few months

And no GM that intends on tanking is going to say "100 point team! Built for better success in the playoffs!" along with spending to the cap and acquiring veteran players to achieve his stated purpose.

Ace101

Apr 2, 2014
Edler + Virtanen for Drouin. Who does this? Does Tampa, or do they want another prospect/picks?

The bonus would be it would help the Canucks stay in the bottom 3-4 teams this season, as well, ensuring them a better shot at one of Matthews/the Finns.

Unless Drouin is a ppg forward as soon as he steps foot here. Benning would deserve to be fired and slapped if he did that.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
No team admits to straight up tanking. The word they use instead is "rebuild". They've denied that they are looking to or are in the process of rebuilding.

Whatever, I do t really care what the management think unless they trade away our 1st( which is unlikely under JB)
This team is bad enough to force them to rebuild. (Unless Aqualini is too dumb to look the long term)

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
And no GM that intends on tanking is going to say "100 point team! Built for better success in the playoffs!" along with spending to the cap and acquiring veteran players to achieve his stated purpose.

Oh cmon, of course he's gonna say that. We just came off from a 101 points season and you expect him to say we gonna rebuild publicly ?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Oh cmon, of course he's gonna say that. We just came off from a 101 points season and you expect him to say we gonna rebuild publicly ?

Seriously, you still think this is some sort of stealth tank?

He acquired Sutter because he believes he makes the team better than it was. He signed him to a big deal and called him foundational because he believes that is what he is. He acquired and signed Sbisa because he believes he makes the team better than it was. He moved Garrison and acquired Vey because he believed that made the team better than it was. He acquired and kept Miller because he believes he makes the team better than it was. He moved Bieksa and brought in Bartkowski because he believed it made the team better than it was. He moved Kassian and brought in Prust because he believed it makes the team better than it was. He's spending to the cap because he believes this is a good team. His owner is asking the players after a game questions about what's wrong so the expectation to his boss appears to be exactly what the GM said.

He isn't handing out big money to players he believes are bad and will help him tank.

Heck no one in the media has even touched that the management didn't actually believe any of this until management shill McIntyre a few games ago went on TV and started trying to sell the they always thought playoffs would be gravy angle. It's clearly BS that a tank was planned.

Also, 29 GMs have inquired about Johansen and Drouin. Shouldn't be news. Even I don't think Benning is that incompetent that he wouldn't at least pick up the phone and make the call.

Last edited:

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Portzline also reports Canucks are in the RyJo sweepstakes with Minnesota, but the Predators are the favourites.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
How long do you think it will be before the Canucks will be good again? How old will Alex Edler be?

I'd be selectively moving every player with value that's around 30 years old or older in the next few years, with the exception of the Sedins.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Banning does not offer fair value in trades unless he's getting an overrated vet like Sutter. Young up and coming stars like Drouin and Johansen? Benning seemingly has zero interest in those types.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
How long do you think it will be before the Canucks will be good again? How old will Alex Edler be?

I'd be selectively moving every player with value that's around 30 years old or older in the next few years, with the exception of the Sedins.

That's fine, but it doesn't mean you should overpay to make a trade or undervalue our assets.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
That's fine, but it doesn't mean you should overpay to make a trade or undervalue our assets.

What would you trade for Drouin? What would you want for Edler?

Note that I didn't say I'd make the trade. Just curious if people would/what they expect Tampa to want for him.

Ace101

Apr 2, 2014
Portzline also reports Canucks are in the RyJo sweepstakes with Minnesota, but the Predators are the favourites.

Most scenarios of us getting RyJo that I think of would have to involve our first and I'm not sure I want that to happen.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Most scenarios of us getting RyJo that I think of would have to involve our first and I'm not sure I want that to happen.

Id be fine with the 1st being in play if rychel was also coming with RyJo

Edit. I would do this:

RyJo, clarkson at 30%, rychel, prout

Sbisa, tanev, McCann, 1st

Last edited:

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
What would you trade for Drouin? What would you want for Edler?

Note that I didn't say I'd make the trade. Just curious if people would/what they expect Tampa to want for him.

Edler for Drouin is one thing, Edler + Virtanen is another. I wouldn't give up more than Virtanen + our 2nd (which will be early) for Drouin at this point.

As for Edler, I value him very highly (partially based on supply/demand, partially because we don't have to move him), and I don't think I'd move him for a winger like Drouin. I don't know. :/

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
Id be fine with the 1st being in play if rychel was also coming with RyJo

Edit. I would do this:

RyJo, clarkson at 30%, rychel, prout

Sbisa, tanev, McCann, 1st

Eww no thanks! We lose arguably our best defenceman, 1st (which could be a top 5), McCann and have to take Clarkson.

Don't get me wrong i know you have to give to get but not at that cost! Rather stay put...

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Surprised he didn't just come out and say "Our prospects just aren't good enough to get these types of players". :laugh:

I mean really, that's what it comes down to.

Any team discussing a trade for a #1C or a recent 3rd overall pick, is going to want not a bunch of "maybes" and a smorgasbord of "quantity"...they're going to want "quality" in return...and probably a good deal of it as well.

We haven't been a bad team long enough to accumulate the type of assets these deals take. The complete and total black hole of drafting prior to 2012/13 really doesn't help either.

We've got maybe 3 "top quality" pieces to offer with any degree of youth to them. Tanev, Bo, our 2016 1st round pick. These pieces should all be pretty much off-limits. You could argue McCann, Hutton, maybe even Virtanen have some noteworthy value...but they're not a strong "centerpiece" in an offer for the calibre of players being talked about there - they'd be the type of "add-ons" to the aforementioned 3 pieces. The type of quality add-ons we can't afford to be giving up, when we have so few of them to begin with.

We've got a lot of years of "rebuilding" to go here, before we've built up the sort of "depth" of bluechip young assets to make blockbuster type deals without completely gutting our future for a single piece.

This rebuild is in its infancy...and that means for the most part, we simply don't have the volume (or high calibre) of bluechip assets to compete with other offers for young star players, or potential stars. Never hurts to kick tires and see, which it's clear Benning is doing his due diligence on...but it's not surprising that he'd come back with the sense that we can't really afford to pitch with the big dogs who have been collecting prime assets through the top of the draft for years now.

We simply don't have a spare Seth Jones to build a deal around like Nashville can. And if we did...we'd probably be fairly happy to just keep him and build around that, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad