Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Have at 'er.

52006.gif

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Benning doesn't even know that Hamonic is available lol, he's probably scouting some league as we speak.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Benning doesn't even know that Hamonic is available lol, he's probably scouting some league as we speak.

Or you could not make things up.

Dreger said they haven't spoken, not that Benning doesn't know.

If you've been a Canucks fan long enough you know that a drunk shoe probably knows more insider facts about the Canucks than Darren Dreger.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
The 2 guys the Canucks should be pursuing the most aggressively is Johansen and Barrie. And though Tanev and Horvat are 2 of the organizations most untouchable players right now, both should be in play for these première offensive talents IMO.

Can't help but wonder if a Barrie for Tanev trade gets bandied about by both teams. Tanev has a great contract and is probably the better player right now, but Barrie's a rare talent with a Duncan Keith type of upside. If he keeps taking steps forward on the defensive side of the puck you could be looking at a home-grown, homerun.

Which team balks at a Tanev for Barrie deal?

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
The 2 guys the Canucks should be pursuing the most aggressively is Johansen and Barrie. And though Tanev and Horvat are 2 of the organizations most untouchable players right now, both should be in play for these première offensive talents IMO.

Can't help but wonder if a Barrie for Tanev trade gets bandied about by both teams. Tanev has a great contract and is probably the better player right now, but Barrie's a rare talent with a Duncan Keith type of upside. If he keeps taking steps forward on the defensive side of the puck you could be looking at a home-grown, homerun.

IDK if I do Tanev for Barrie because I'm really high on Hutton and think he could be just as good eventually.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
IDK if I do Tanev for Barrie because I'm really high on Hutton and think he could be just as good eventually.

Can't really say if I would. Colorado isn't a team I've watched over the last couple years.

If there was an Edler+ for Hamonic deal to be had, I would definitely be looking hard at a Tanev for Barrie deal though...

Really hope Benning is making a push for Barrie. So tough to find this skill set with a RH shot - been looking for it ever since we were runners up in the Dan Boyle sweepstakes 8 years ago. When these guys become available, you can overpay for them and still likely never end up regretting it.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
If we traded Tanev for Barrie we'd just be losing 4-3 instead of 3-2 every night. Don't really see the point. I really like Barrie though and he'd help the Sedins pad their stats on the PP and ES. Overall we need to be adding to our young pool not swapping them in and out.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Can't really say if I would. Colorado isn't a team I've watched over the last couple years.

If there was an Edler+ for Hamonic deal to be had, I would definitely be looking hard at a Tanev for Barrie deal though...

Really hope Benning is making a push for Barrie. So tough to find this skill set with a RH shot - been looking for it ever since we were runners up in the Dan Boyle sweepstakes 8 years ago. When these guys become available, you can overpay for them and still likely never end up regretting it.

I think Barrie is awesome for sure but Tanev is such a rock and so cheap.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
If we traded Tanev for Barrie we'd just be losing 4-3 instead of 3-2 every night. Don't really see the point. I really like Barrie though and he'd help the Sedins pad their stats on the PP and ES. Overall we need to be adding to our young pool not swapping them in and out.

True to a degree. But I also think it's easier to find a high level shutdown defenseman than it is a high level offensive talent. Skill is a more scarce commodity.

Not to mention the entertainment aspect factors in here as well. If I'm building a team, an elite level PP is a priority over an elite PK.

And what's more likely, Barrie figures out a way to improve his defensive game, or Chris Tanev adds a quality offensive component? Have to go with the former on that one - which is what gives Barrie such a tremendous upside.

If we're going to go out and overpay for someone, I hope it's a talent like Barrie. These opportunities don't come along very often.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
How's Barrie's injury history apart from that ridiculous Cooke knee in the playoffs? Tanev has had a lot of injuries so far in his still young career so that could be a deciding factor. I do love Tanev but Barrie is exactly what we need and steady offensive dmen are tricky to get. It all depends on what he wants next year though, if it's reasonable I would probably pull the trigger although it would be a really tough decision.

Though if we lose Tanev we might as well trade Edler. Should probably trade him before Tanev actually if we go that route.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
The team should trade from it's forward corps to get Barrie. COL needs forwards as well. These Dmen swaps are few and far between. Makes more sense to package young forward prospects instead. Question is: Who?

Edit: BTW, the AVs are in on talks about Hamonic, per a few public tweets.

Last edited:

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
The team should trade from it's forward corps to get Barrie. COL needs forwards as well. These Dmen swaps are few and far between. Makes more sense to package young forward prospects instead. Question is: Who?

Edit: BTW, the AVs are in on talks about Hamonic, per a few public tweets.

I think it's a dman Colorado will be looing for in return for Barrie. Ideally you build the right side around Tanev and Barrie but I think that's unlikely.

If they're in on Hamonic, you would have to think they would be interested in Tanev as well.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Clicked on this thread and saw that a mod posted an inappropriate picture (page cuts off before the arms)

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

Tanev for Barrie is a backwards stupid move. Barrie is what he is, an excellent transitional dman that can revitalize a power play but seriously Duncan Keith? Stop throwing these comparisons around like they're nothing. First it was comparing Breisbois to Tanev now you're comparing Barrie to Keith.

I like Barrie but I wouldn't move Tanev for him, I'd love to build our right side around Tanev and Barrie though. Teams don't make good trading partners both of us need long term solutions on D.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Tanev for Barrie is a backwards stupid move. Barrie is what he is, an excellent transitional dman that can revitalize a power play but seriously Duncan Keith? Stop throwing these comparisons around like they're nothing. First it was comparing Breisbois to Tanev now you're comparing Barrie to Keith.

I like Barrie but I wouldn't move Tanev for him, I'd love to build our right side around Tanev and Barrie though. Teams don't make good trading partners both of us need long term solutions on D.

Yeah Tyson Barrie isn't close to Duncan Keith. Good player but not worth gutting our own depth.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I think it's a dman Colorado will be looing for in return for Barrie.

Based on what? Yes, they need D, but they don't have to look for it in this particular deal. They need forward help as well. Everything, if they deal Varlamov too. So I don't see them putting a restriction on the return. It just has to make sense for them long-term.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Based on what? Yes, they need D, but they don't have to look for it in this particular deal. They need forward help as well.

Whenever I hear Colorado mentioned in trade talks the sentiment seems to be they're looking for help on defense. They're defense is a weakness with Barrie in the line up - take him out and you've got some real issues on your hands back there.

Throw Matt Duchene and Bo Horvat's names into the mix and you've got the makings of a huge shakeup for both sides. If the bottom falls out of this Canuck team and Colorado doesn't right the ship the 2 sides could make for good trading partners.

To Col- Horvat, Tanev
To Van- Duchene, Barrie

What do the Canucks need to add to make that deal happen? Would love to see us flip a couple high end defensive talents for a couple highly skilled players in this kind of trade.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Whenever I hear Colorado mentioned in trade talks the sentiment seems to be they're looking for help on defense. They're defense is a weakness with Barrie in the line up - take him out and you've got some real issues on your hands back there.

Throw Matt Duchene and Bo Horvat's names into the mix and you've got the makings of a huge shakeup for both sides. If the bottom falls out of this Canuck team and Colorado doesn't right the ship the 2 sides could make for good trading partners.

To Col- Horvat, Tanev
To Van- Duchene, Barrie

What do the Canucks need to add to make that deal happen? Would love to see us flip a couple high end defensive talents for a couple highly skilled players in this kind of trade.

We would probably need to add a significant piece to that deal, like a 1st or prospect of that value.

If Hamonic would accept a trade to Colorado, they could make interesting trading partners.

Hamonic for Barrie? :P

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

To Col- Horvat, Tanev
To Van- Duchene, Barrie

Canucks take it and run and I'm the biggest Tanev fan boy not named Kanucks25 :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad