New York Islanders: Roster Discussion: Filppula out 4 weeks; Boychuk, Eberle day to day

Status
Not open for further replies.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Losing Cizikas is a huge blow to the bottom 6.

Agreed, Cizikas is the most concerning injury to me. Gionta is a big downgrade. The Isles are already thin at C and cannot take another loss. It is a real shame that Casey cannot stay healthy.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
It's a shame we didn't put Kovar in the AHL.

I was just thinking about that. But I believe Kovar is on a PTO (try-out) with the Bruins AHL team, so contractually I believe he could sign with any NHL team if he is offered an NHL contract.

Although who knows the state of relations between Kovar and the Isles?

Of course I am not sure if Kovar is the right fit for the 4th line either. Ideally it would be someone better than Gionta, in terms of size and skill, but with a focus on defense so the Isles don't lose anything on that line for match ups.

Cizikas is a tough loss right now, just because the options are very limited and center needs to be a focus before next season.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Beauvillier hasn't done jack to help this team win, Ladd does plenty every night.

Who gets trashed incessantly?
Both and rightfully so. Beauvillier is the first name mentioned to be sent down to the A because he’s not producing. Ladd because he will never produce enough to justify that idiotic contract.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I was just thinking about that. But I believe Kovar is on a PTO (try-out) with the Bruins AHL team, so contractually I believe he could sign with any NHL team if he is offered an NHL contract.

Of course I am not sure if Kovar is the right fit for the 4th line either. Ideally it would be someone better than Gionta, in terms of size and skill, but with a focus on defense so the Isles don't lose anything on that line for match ups.

Cizikas is a tough loss right now, just because the options are very limited and center needs to be a focus before next season.

I don't know the ins and outs of a player having their contract terminated and then trying to re-sign with the same team. I feel like there may be a rule against it. I agree on your other points.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Alan Walsh is Kovar’s agent. I doubt he’d steer his client back towards the Islanders.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Anyone care to guess the nature of Martin’s and Cizikas’ injuries? Shoulder? Back?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Beauvillier hasn't done jack to help this team win, Ladd does plenty every night.

Who gets trashed incessantly?

Earlier today,before the news of Ladd, Cizikas and Martin's injuries, I called for Beau to be demoted. I want him to regain his confidence, get a ton of icetime in Bridgeport.

I have seen Beau mentioned in a couple of trade proposals by NYI posters. So,no Beau is not getting some free pass for his crappy play.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Anyone care to guess the nature of Martin’s and Cizikas’ injuries? Shoulder? Back?

Cizikas has a lower body, no idea what it could be though. 2-3 weeks seems like a minor thing though.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Alan Walsh is Kovar’s agent. I doubt he’d steer his client back towards the Islanders.

Yes, I know Allan Walsh is Kovar's agent. He is one of the most outspoken agents in hockey. Probably the most outspoken.

In the end though, he is also reasonable and looking for the most compensation and visibility for his clients. Heck, that is part of his Twitter description, lol.

If the Isles are the only team willing to offer Kovar a NHL contract, odds are Walsh is willing to listen, as opposed to having his client wallow in the AHL much longer. You can't hold grudges as an agent. Or at least you shouldn't.

Now Kovar, he might hold a grudge depending on how his experience went. And I don't necessarily see Kovar as a fit in Cizikas' spot on the fourth line. Let's hope Cizikas heals quickly and Gionta is only here for a week or two max.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
He hasn't been the top six 25-30g, 50-60 point winger many expected. He's been a solid defensive forward, and has played with grit and he's produced when used in the top six. The truth is he is exactly what he's always been... a solid complimentary winger who can play anywhere up and down the lineup and chip in 20 goals. That has plenty of value... and helps teams win a hell of a lot more than cap space does.

This place is infatuated with unproven rookies (the younger the better), cap space and trashing any prospect that hasn't made an allstar team by age 21.

Tell me that statement isn't accurate.

Ladd has been an overall positive this year so far - I'll grant you that. It seems that when he's healthy, he's been productive. He hasn't been healthy all that much, however, since he's been here (or so it seems with what little info has been put out over the past years). Its too bad as he looked pretty good and had some jump after coming back from his pre-season injuries.

Biggest issue with him is his length of contract. Right now its perfectly fine.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Yes, I know Allan Walsh is Kovar's agent. He is one of the most outspoken agents in hockey. Probably the most outspoken.

In the end though, he is also reasonable and looking for the most compensation and visibility for his clients. Heck, that is part of his Twitter description, lol.

If the Isles are the only team willing to offer Kovar a NHL contract, odds are Walsh is willing to listen, as opposed to having his client wallow in the AHL much longer. You can't hold grudges as an agent. Or at least you shouldn't.

Now Kovar, he might hold a grudge depending on how his experience went. And I don't necessarily see Kovar as a fit in Cizikas' spot on the fourth line. Let's hope Cizikas heals quickly and Gionta is only here for a week or two max.
“Wallow”? How many AHL games has he played? 12 or 13?

In November sometimes you have time to wait for a better situation to come along.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
If they knew the Ladd and Cizikas injuries were serious enough on Tuesday night, would have made sense to call up MDC yesterday so he could get a practice in - same with Gionta. Not a huge deal in the scheme of things but when you're tinkering with the lines like they are now, getting a practice under your belt doesn't hurt. I'm OK with them missing the day game against Hartford if need be.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
I can deal with running out the following bottom six

Kuhnackel-Filppulla-Komorov
Johnston-Gionta-Clutterbuck

Johnston is an excellent fourth liner and Gionta while undersized provides some jam and would be fine since he's not expected to provide offense.

I just don't know who else can play Center down at the Bridge they can bring up. I'm all ears if there is a better candidate.

teknics

@islesblogger/@faithfulisles
Apr 7, 2007
East End
www.theislesfaithful.com
If they knew the Ladd and Cizikas injuries were serious enough on Tuesday night, would have made sense to call up MDC yesterday so he could get a practice in - same with Gionta. Not a huge deal in the scheme of things but when you're tinkering with the lines like they are now, getting a practice under your belt doesn't hurt. I'm OK with them missing the day game against Hartford if need be.

Bridgeport played yesterday MORNING, so a callup wouldn’t have been possible then.

The players involved likely knew last night, which is why they were at the morning skate.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA

I doubt Kovar would come, because you know what, when Casey returns, guess where that leaves Kovar, unless he hits it out of the park,which is unlikely.

Reactions: MJF

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
“Wallow”? How many AHL games has he played? 12 or 13?

In November sometimes you have time to wait for a better situation to come along.

Yes, wallow, which isn't a completely negative connotation. But Kovar is playing in a league below what he is probably used to in terms of financial compensation, facilities, travel, fans, perks, the cities they visit, etc.

Guys who were stars in the KHL, making millions, don't want to sit around and ride the buses in the AHL for very long. How many former KHL stars, still in their prime, can you name in the AHL outside of Kovar?

Odds are he has a finite time in mind to make it and break into the NHL, otherwise it is likely that he has lucrative offers for Europe on the table to fall back on, if needed.

But it is irrelevant anyway. It is extremely doubtful the Isles envision Kovar in Cizikas' role and doubtful that Kovar wants to return to the Isles either. I think most people realize there isn't a good fit.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Bridgeport played yesterday MORNING, so a callup wouldn’t have been possible then.

The players involved likely knew last night, which is why they were at the morning skate.

Right - I mean they should have skipped yesterday's game and practiced with the Islanders.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Can someone remind me wtf happened to zeeks? I watched whole game and i dont recall anything happening to him.

It's a lower body injury, so it could be anything from a twisted ankle to a pulled groin. We won't know until they tell us. It's not like Ladd's where you can tell it's likely a knee issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad