New York Islanders: Roster Discussion: Filppula out 4 weeks; Boychuk, Eberle day to day

Status
Not open for further replies.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
You may see then “rent” Condon depending on how bad Lehner’s injury is.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Post-July 1st, with adding Filppula/Komarov/Martin/etc., there has been a lot of talk around the league that Lou has lost it and is a dinosaur. That coincided with TML fans saying they weren't concerned about losing Lou because Shanahan/Gubas were the smart guys in the room.

So, it's early but it's gratifying to see that maybe Lou isn't such a dinosaur after all. And maybe, just maybe, in the really big picture the TMLs have a little bit of a problem if it turns out Lou really was the smartest guy in the room. :naughty:

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Post-July 1st, with adding Filppula/Komarov/Martin/etc., there has been a lot of talk around the league that Lou has lost it and is a dinosaur. That coincided with TML fans saying they weren't concerned about losing Lou because Shanahan/Gubas were the smart guys in the room.

So, it's early but it's gratifying to see that maybe Lou isn't such a dinosaur after all. And maybe, just maybe, in the really big picture the TMLs have a little bit of a problem if it turns out Lou really was the smartest guy in the room. :naughty:

There's definitely a quote from Pulp Fiction that we should all keep in mind after only once month into the season. Remember, they looked great last year until December 1st....

Still, it IS nice to see them competing early on, especially since almost everyone had zero hope for this season.

Spybot

May 12, 2014

Try guessing what our record was around this time last year.

And I think the success thus far has had less to do with Filppula and Komarov and more to do with Greiss and Lehner each playing like top10 goalies. May it ever last.

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY

The goaltending and defense have been solid, but watching these first 12 games the play of lines #3 & #4 are light years ahead of last year. Filpula a very nice player. Glad he's wearing #51. Reminds me a little of the previous owner. They are going to lose tight games like last nights, but overall I'm pleased and not that surprised. Improved work ethic, toughness and system makes these games a pleasure to watch.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I don't recall anyone against signing Filppula to a one year deal. I think the majority of people including myself were upset with signing Leo to a four year contract. I'm still not a fan of Lehner despite his good play. I was wrong about Matt Martin. Still don't like the Hickey and Sbisa moves.
That being said goaltending and Trotz has been the two biggest reasons for early success. We are outshot like every game. Trotz should get the credit. Roster wise this team isn't much different than last years minus Tavares.

Reactions: Hunn

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
The goaltending and defense have been solid, but watching these first 12 games the play of lines #3 & #4 are light years ahead of last year. Filpula a very nice player. Glad he's wearing #51. Reminds me a little of the previous owner. They are going to lose tight games like last nights, but overall I'm pleased and not that surprised. Improved work ethic, toughness and system makes these games a pleasure to watch.

wtf is up with beau? he got set up nicely in front of the net last night and it looked like he was in quicksand

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
I don't recall anyone against signing Filppula to a one year deal. I think the majority of people including myself were upset with signing Leo to a four year contract. I'm still not a fan of Lehner despite his good play. I was wrong about Matt Martin. Still don't like the Hickey and Sbisa moves.
That being said goaltending and Trotz has been the two biggest reasons for early success. We are outshot like every game. Trotz should get the credit. Roster wise this team isn't much different than last years minus Tavares.
While we are getting outshot, it doesn't feel like we're giving up many high-danger chances. I don't have the stats to back that up right now but just how it feels

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
The additions of Komarov and Filppula have helped the goalies out a lot, we cut down on the shots faced per game pretty quickly and the types of shots faced, that line with the improvement of that young prospect named Andrew Ladd lol.... has been pure shutdown and the Cizikas line gives a lot of energy... Goalies have been mostly very good this year, but I do have to put coaching and line structure at the top so far.... this is the first time in 10 years that we are seeing less and less imaginary lineups here slotting in players from other teams or Bridgeport.

The days of the Kiril Kabonov mock lineups may be behind us

Reactions: Olliemets

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
wtf is up with beau? he got set up nicely in front of the net last night and it looked like he was in quicksand

I have to think that young players like Beau and Barzal are struggling a bit upfront while not only learning and adapting to Trotz's system, but any coherent defensive system. It will take some time for the game flow to feel natural, where they can act and react instinctively, instead of overthinking everything. It will take some time but they will be better all-around players in the end.

It is also why I wasn't alarmed that young players like Bellows, JHS, Toews, Aho, etc. got sent down to the Bridge. Trotz and his staff are essentially retraining Barzal, Beau, Mayfield, Pelech, etc. on the fly in the NHL. Let the rest of the prospects learn at their pace at the Bridge, so they can be called up seamlessly when the eventual injuries hit.

That is why Lou also opted to sign vets like Kühnhackl and Sbisa. They can fill in for spot starts as needed in a pinch, but can also be scratched for extended periods of time or loaned out to the minors. It is more important that the young players get quality ice time, coaching and management can evaluate what they have and what they need in the future.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I have to think that young players like Beau and Barzal are struggling a bit upfront while not only learning and adapting to Trotz's system, but any coherent defensive system. It will take some time for the game flow to feel natural, where they can act and react instinctively, instead of overthinking everything. It will take some time but they will be better all-around players in the end.

It is also why I wasn't alarmed that young players like Bellows, JHS, Toews, Aho, etc. got sent down to the Bridge. Trotz and his staff are essentially retraining Barzal, Beau, Mayfield, Pelech, etc. on the fly in the NHL. Let the rest of the prospects learn at their pace at the Bridge, so they can be called up seamlessly when the eventual injuries hit.

That is why Lou also opted to sign vets like Kühnhackl and Sbisa. They can fill in for spot starts as needed in a pinch, but can also be scratched for extended periods of time or loaned out to the minors. It is more important that the young players get quality ice time, coaching and management can evaluate what they have and what they need in the future.
Agree with all of this, but I don't think Thompson is the right coach for the kids....

Reactions: danteipp and Macch

Macch

Mar 22, 2010

He's been getting his chances just snake bitten at the moment.

Even without him putting up stats, that line just looks so much better when all three are together

Reactions: danteipp

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
He's been getting his chances just snake bitten at the moment.

Even without him putting up stats, that line just looks so much better when all three are together

Even though Barzal isn't scoring, he's keeping the puck out of our end for long periods of time. His line's passing has been nice, it often looks like we're on a power play even when we aren't. It has to be just a matter of time.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Agree with all of this, but I don't think Thompson is the right coach for the kids....

I tend to agree with you on that as well. In the past, there has always been talk that he is a good teacher, but I have my doubts. Unless he was hamstrung by Snow & co, maybe that is why Lou is giving him one more shot? Maybe on the recommendation of his son? But if he can't get it done, then he should be replaced soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad