Line Combos: Roster Discussion/Line Combos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I haven't experienced a stillborn but I have for a miscarriage, it's a pretty shit time and my thoughts and sympathies are with Boone and his family.

I don't know Voronkov's contract situation but if he's RFA, he better not resign here then Svitov his way out a few weeks later. My gut tells me he leaves and maybe comes back in a few years with a better understanding of what living in NA is about.

Laine selling his apartment is whatever, could be a bunch of things.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I haven't experienced a stillborn but I have for a miscarriage, it's a pretty shit time and my thoughts and sympathies are with Boone and his family.

I don't know Voronkov's contract situation but if he's RFA, he better not resign here then Svitov his way out a few weeks later. My gut tells me he leaves and maybe comes back in a few years with a better understanding of what living in NA is about.

Voronkov could be a Val Nichushkin situation. Went back to Russia for a couple years while an RFA with Dallas then came back to NA later on.

Reactions: Jovavic

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

Fist my sympathies to the Jenners, that is terrible.

Re Svitov - he and his wife had a rough time transitioning to Columbus. I've mentioned on here before ut to me the thing the media doesn't know (and the CBJ addressed after the fact) was his wife had a medical emergency and had no idea what to do (she did not know to call 911 as an example). They were living downtown in a condo and luckily one of their neighbors was a trained nurse who heard her banging on doors and crying out and was able to help. But it's easier to see why that would scare you.
Regarding the CBJ - for a long while the CBJ did not do a good job helping Russians transition. Everything from having to move Zherdev's mom over here to control him off the ice, to I personally saw Filatov sitting in the hallway stealing wifi during camp because neither his agent nor the CBJ made sure Zherdev's old condo was ready to use. Just stupid things the CBJ didn't do to help players transition. Throw in Svitov and the fact they didn't do a buddy system on who to call and basic life skills. Again some folks could look at it and say "You're getting paid a lot of money, figure it out" but it was just the lack of being a good employer (for Foreign players) for a very long period of time.

Reactions: DJA and Jovavic

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Regarding the CBJ - for a long while the CBJ did not do a good job helping Russians transition. Everything from having to move Zherdev's mom over here to control him off the ice, to I personally saw Filatov sitting in the hallway stealing wifi during camp because neither his agent nor the CBJ made sure Zherdev's old condo was ready to use. Just stupid things the CBJ didn't do to help players transition. Throw in Svitov and the fact they didn't do a buddy system on who to call and basic life skills. Again some folks could look at it and say "You're getting paid a lot of money, figure it out" but it was just the lack of being a good employer (for Foreign players) for a very long period of time.
It's my understanding that this is the kind of thing the Aaron Johnson position was supposed to address. Is that correct?

Reactions: VT

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Re Svitov - he and his wife had a rough time transitioning to Columbus. I've mentioned on here before ut to me the thing the media doesn't know (and the CBJ addressed after the fact) was his wife had a medical emergency and had no idea what to do (she did not know to call 911 as an example). They were living downtown in a condo and luckily one of their neighbors was a trained nurse who heard her banging on doors and crying out and was able to help. But it's easier to see why that would scare you.
No offense but you're bringing up issues that go back 15 or more years ago. Fedor Tyutin has been involved with supporting Russian players when they come to Columbus. I'm sure they haven't been perfect but there is no comparison to Zherdev, Filatov and Svitov with Voronkov. Voronkov appears to be homesick and having a more difficult time adjusting. The fact he didn't learn any English prior to him coming over should have taking the CBJ need to bigger heights - and we don't really know that it hasn't. Tarasov, Chinakhov and Marchenko have not appeared to have any issues adjusting or being on the outside.

My point, I guess, is that I don't think this is a CBJ issue but rather one where the player may simply be homesick and prefer to go back to Russia. The other point is, he's under contract for next year as well so if he were to want to go back he would be suspeneded by the team and his ELC would carry until he decided to return. As a Russian player they hold his rights indefinitely so that would likely mean the end to Voronkov in the NHL. I do think there is some merit here but I also suspect these details are holdovers from earlier in the year and that he is unlikely to return to Russia.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Putting on my “maybe the front office knows what it is doing” tin foil hat and doing some wild speculating based on seeing today’s rumor, maybe they know Voronkov isn’t coming back next year so they aren’t playing him much. But that doesn’t make me feel very good.

His usage is hard for me to understand, so maybe that is the explanation. I hope not. But it makes sense.

It's also possible, as others have explained, that his shift length and endurance is still an issue. Or that Vincent has some blind spot with him.

i wouldn't be shocked at all if voronkov came into next season 15-20 pounds lighter. seems like 215-225 is probably a better weight for someone who's 6'5, especially if they want to play a pace-heavy system.

I believe I heard (from Marchenko?) that Voronkov was already down to 225. It was widely speculated when they sent him to Cleveland after camp that it was for him to drop weight, so when Marchenko mentioned 225 it seemed like a plausible current weight to me.

I really think this Voronkov stuff is overblown. I think he’ll be back next year.

Obviously a could be wrong or in denial. But still

I honestly don't know either way.

If it is true though it is a big blow. I think we need the player. I hope the Jackets FO would make a big presentation to him including promising a big raise when we can extend him in July (even something like $3m x 1 would be way more than he could ever make in the KHL).

That brings up another explanation - if I'm Voronkov's agent I'm not doing anything to dispel the KHL rumors, in fact I'm spreading them and causing as much panic as I can!

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
That brings up another explanation - if I'm Voronkov's agent I'm not doing anything to dispel the KHL rumors, in fact I'm spreading them and causing as much panic as I can!
At the risk of making up rumors, for all we know this is the agent laying some ground work for a conversation around "Dima has been so much better than you could have hoped, don't you think he deserves more money?"

Reactions: Xoggz22

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Surprised to see so many mentions of retirement with Laine. I dont think I've ever heard of anyone in any sport retiring during their prime due to mental health. Even if it happened the retirement decision and house sales would surely come after a year or two, not 4 months into the process.

26 year old with a dog and girlfriend probably doesnt want to live in a condo for much longer. Moving can also help with your mental as a kind of a 'reset'. Considering the freetime he currently has, it's a great time to move

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I just saw the article. My sincerest condolences to Jenner and his family. I can't imagine how terrible that would be.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Where to begin…..

I can only express sadness for the Jenner family. What they are going thru is not anything I can imagine. The hearts of all CBJ fans are with you.

The news on Voronkov are only rumors but the puzzle pieces fit enough to be a concern. Of all the Russian players, I think he has the potential to be the best or most important. His size, vision, hands and position are so valuable to this team. I’m hoping that if this rumor is a donut, it’s the hole. Here’s hoping Voronkov is a long term Jacket.

I’m also very saddened by the Laine saga. Nothing is more I pet ant than one’s mental health and he’s clearly wrestling with getting this
part of his life in order. Whether he plays hockey again - here or elsewhere - is secondary. But I am concerned he won’t return with saddens me as a fan as I’m a Laine fan. When he’s on he brings an electricity to the ice like no other Jacket. In any case I’m wishing him the best.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
i wouldn't be shocked at all if voronkov came into next season 15-20 pounds lighter. seems like 215-225 is probably a better weight for someone who's 6'5, especially if they want to play a pace-heavy system.

the devils also purposely deployed nemec to maximize his skills (power play time, good partners, offensive-focused minutes) while the jackets have done the opposite with jiricek. granted the devils also did similar things with hughes, who struggled.

sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but we'll never know if jiricek would have been more effective/confident in a more skill-appropriate role in the NHL this season because pascal vincent was too cowardly to put the big, skilled defenseman with a booming shot on either power play unit.
Interestingly enough, with 2 defensemen getting the boot for fighting at puck drop, Luke Hughes played 32:49 tonight and Simon Nemec played 26:23.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
What was given to Boone and his wife cannot be expressed in any words. My sincere condolences. 😢
----
Where to begin…..

I can only express sadness for the Jenner family. What they are going thru is not anything I can imagine. The hearts of all CBJ fans are with you.

The news on Voronkov are only rumors but the puzzle pieces fit enough to be a concern. Of all the Russian players, I think he has the potential to be the best or most important. His size, vision, hands and position are so valuable to this team. I’m hoping that if this rumor is a donut, it’s the hole. Here’s hoping Voronkov is a long term Jacket.
Ak Bars knows Voronkov, he's been playing in Kazan since 2018. 15 years. That's why I wouldn't underrated the information. Especially if Ak Bars is negotiating with Columbus. That said, Dima is considering return.

I’m also very saddened by the Laine saga. Nothing is more I pet ant than one’s mental health and he’s clearly wrestling with getting this
part of his life in order. Whether he plays hockey again - here or elsewhere - is secondary. But I am concerned he won’t return with saddens me as a fan as I’m a Laine fan. When he’s on he brings an electricity to the ice like no other Jacket. In any case I’m wishing him the best.

I don't know what kind of illness Patrik has. But what John Davidson and Nikolaj Ehlers have said, however, does not inspire optimism.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Read somewhere that Danforth was sick. So..

Man they really butchered the short term roster this TDD by not claiming players to stock the depth after the injuries and trades. I know the big injury wave didn’t hit until after the deadline but running on the bare minimum roster number wasn’t a great plan.

Reactions: koteka

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I don't know what kind of illness Patrik has. But what John Davidson and Nikolaj Ehlers have said, however, does not inspire optimism.
I don't read anything into this.

it's not Ehlers business to say anything publicly regarding Laine and a good friend would not say anything publicly that had been confided in him.

JD doesn't know anything. Teams do not have contact with players while they are in the program. They are restricted from doing so. It would also be unprofessional for the league to provide any detailed updates on him to the team.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
No offense but you're bringing up issues that go back 15 or more years ago. Fedor Tyutin has been involved with supporting Russian players when they come to Columbus. I'm sure they haven't been perfect but there is no comparison to Zherdev, Filatov and Svitov with Voronkov. Voronkov appears to be homesick and having a more difficult time adjusting. The fact he didn't learn any English prior to him coming over should have taking the CBJ need to bigger heights - and we don't really know that it hasn't. Tarasov, Chinakhov and Marchenko have not appeared to have any issues adjusting or being on the outside.

My point, I guess, is that I don't think this is a CBJ issue but rather one where the player may simply be homesick and prefer to go back to Russia. The other point is, he's under contract for next year as well so if he were to want to go back he would be suspeneded by the team and his ELC would carry until he decided to return. As a Russian player they hold his rights indefinitely so that would likely mean the end to Voronkov in the NHL. I do think there is some merit here but I also suspect these details are holdovers from earlier in the year and that he is unlikely to return to Russia.
I brought it up because (and see what I quoted) mentioned someone pulling a Svitov of getting a contract then running back to Russia. I didn't think that was fair to say Svitov did anything wrong and brought up why he left.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

Read somewhere that Danforth was sick. So..

Man they really butchered the short term roster this TDD by not claiming players to stock the depth after the injuries and trades. I know the big injury wave didn’t hit until after the deadline but running on the bare minimum roster number wasn’t a great plan.

John Davidson:
He's a good guy, who's got some issues. Very tough to control. I know that he, before the season started, was going to give for every goal and assist, money to mental health. I do know that he's put out a statement since he's gone on the shelf, that mental health is something that people have to deal with. With that being said, you can kind of read between the lines. He's going to have to go through a process to get himself ready to see if he wants to come back. We're all pulling for him. We're hoping like hell he's on the road to recovery,"

I have asked more than once how I should understand these words, and no one has answered me, my English is not so good, I can understand some things bad.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
John Davidson:

I have asked more than once how I should understand these words, and no one has answered me, my English is not so good, I can understand some things bad.
JD can only speak on what he went through before he entered the program. I could make an assumption that he just doesn't want to play hockey anymore, at least from the time he entered the program and based on what they know about his mindset upon making the decision to enter the program.

I can only assume he needs time to work through the process and to see if he can find the love for the game again. I don't think anyone knows how long that could be if ever in reality. Only the confidential program knows where he is at right now.

Reactions: VT

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
JD can only speak on what he went through before he entered the program. I could make an assumption that he just doesn't want to play hockey anymore, at least from the time he entered the program and based on what they know about his mindset upon making the decision to enter the program.

I can only assume he needs time to work through the process and to see if he can find the love for the game again. I don't think anyone knows how long that could be if ever in reality. Only the confidential program knows where he is at right now.
After all, that's what I mean. Those words effectively mean he COULD end his career. But not that he will.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
John Davidson:

I am a native speaker of English and I don’t know what he is saying here. It sounds like he is trying to be very careful with his words, and in doing so, has made himself hard to understand.

“He's going to have to go through a process to get himself ready to see if he wants to come back.”

He could have said something like “He’s going to have to to go through a process … um … (pause) … to get himself ready … (pause) … um … to see if he wants to come back.”

It has nothing to do with your English skills. It is a very awkward sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad