GDT: Roster Building XVIII: Trade Deadline Week!

Status
Not open for further replies.

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
Wait…. So we really didn’t add a veteran depth defensive dman for the playoffs?

Seems really odd…. Figured we would have recycled someone or added a vet just in case of injuries…. Seems odd…

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

Hell yeah

Seems really odd…. Figured we would have recycled someone or added a vet just in case of injuries…. Seems odd…

We’ve got TDA as a 7D and AHL All-Star Coghlan as 8D. Smith added as 9D when he’s a 23-year-old former full time NHLer… I think we’re fine?

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI

I mean, we still have TDA.

I know he's not a defensive defenseman, but he's got playoff experience and showed well playing with Skjei. As long as we're not putting him out there with Orlov, I feel like we should be relatively okay with him re-entering the lineup in the event of injury.

SeaBasstian

Don't Tread On Me
Mar 5, 2007
Connecticut
Hell yeah

We’ve got TDA as a 7D and AHL All-Star Coghlan as 8D. Smith added as 9D when he’s a 23-year-old former full time NHLer… I think we’re fine?
1000024435.jpg

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I mean, we still have TDA.
...and Lemieux

I'm honestly surprised they both cleared. They're the kind of guys you want to have for a playoff run who you bring in on a random game just to get the opponent off their game. They usually hold value this late in the year, and they're the kind of players we usually pick up as a late deadline throwaway depth piece.

Reactions: Unsustainable

SeaBasstian

Don't Tread On Me
Mar 5, 2007
Connecticut
...and Lemieux

I'm honestly surprised they both cleared. They're the kind of guys you want to have for a playoff run who you bring in on a random game just to get the opponent off their game. They usually hold value this late in the year, and they're the kind of players we usually pick up as a late deadline throwaway depth piece.
The post was about having depth defencemen.

Also, Lemieux wasn't claimed because they pulled him from waivers last night before the deadline so he could play. He never actually officially was on waivers.

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
The other idea I'd propose is a playoff avatar theme of cooking since Tripp has really said his new catchphrase a lot this season: "cooking with oil, gas, and gravy."

Have a photoshopped chief's hat on one's player of choice. Maybe just simply say, "we're cooking." Could even have a cross over with Cookout Burger lol.

htdoc

Oct 30, 2018
Ty Smith will never be confused with a veteran depth defensive defenseman…..if that is the assumed role we better hope we just never need that before the end of the year…

Not that he would be a fit here…. But the Sabres trading Erik Johnson for basically nothing and him being on a cheap contract is an example of the kind of thing I expected to see from us… just so we have that gritty big body for the insurance and/or to do spot duty on a really physical series… good chance we will see that in the first round if the standings hold…….

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
The post was about having depth defencemen.

Also, Lemieux wasn't claimed because they pulled him from waivers last night before the deadline so he could play. He never actually officially was on waivers.

Why are you posting so much false information? TDA wasn’t traded to the Leafs, and he, Raanta and Lemieux were on waivers. And you CAN play while on waivers.

SeaBasstian

Don't Tread On Me
Mar 5, 2007
Connecticut
Why are you posting so much false information? TDA wasn’t traded to the Leafs, and he, Raanta and Lemieux were on waivers. And you CAN play while on waivers.
The TDA thing is just what I saw posted online. Maybe it's false idk. Like other reports I was posting as I saw it, but I don't see it anywhere else so guessing it was false.

The Lemiuex part came from the conversation on here last night before the game. You're welcome to read back and see

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Maybe they think they’ll be signing
Morrow soon for some added depth?

Seems like they’re in trouble if one of Slavin, Skjei or Pesce go down though.
Morrow hopefully is signed but he isn’t more realistic depth than the guys we have. He isn’t better defensively than those guys, likely worse.

I do think it’s a bit off to go with these guys as the extra defenseman. Hopefully it won’t be an issue but guys are going to get hurt.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The TDA thing is just what I saw posted online. Maybe it's false idk. Like other reports I was posting as I saw it, but I don't see it anywhere else so guessing it was false.

The Lemiuex part came from the conversation on here last night before the game. You're welcome to read back and see
That particular page has a lot of trolling and the source it's referencing isn't at all credible. Basically I generally don't trust it if Lebrun, Bob, Weekes, or one of the team affiliated guys isn't talking about it.

Even Friedman and Servalli (sp) aren't that accurate with Canes info generally. The other 3 at least have sources or ties to the org.

Last edited:

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Maybe they think they’ll be signing
Morrow soon for some added depth?

Seems like they’re in trouble if one of Slavin, Skjei or Pesce go down though.
Slavin and Pesce have already missed some time and we've been just fine. Any team would be "in trouble" with injuries of those magnitudes anyways. Saying if Slavin goes down we'd be in trouble is like saying if McDavid goes down the Oilers would be in trouble. Obviously, lol. There are no more than a small handful of teams with better overall depth than us this year. As always, winning a Cup takes a lot of luck in addition to having a good team. Hopefully we can stay fully healthy throughout the playoffs. But even if not, I believe in this group.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007

And I’m telling you the facts.

Think of waivers like a hotel room. You’re not kicked out of the hotel room at midnight the day you’re scheduled to depart. You have a check out time. Well, when it comes to waivers, the “check out time” is the day after being placed on waivers, around 2 pm EST.

So a player’s status isn’t changed until the following day, where they either pass through waivers (and thus can be moved up and down the farm team freely) or they’re claimed by another team. Until that point, they remain on the active roster of the team that waived them, which is why Lemieux was able to play last night.

It should also be noted that a player can be placed on waivers, pass through it, and not be moved from the active roster at all (which is what happened with TDA and Lemieux)

And I don’t believe you can remove a player from waivers once you put them on it without allowing other teams to put in a claim for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad