Roster Building XIX - Did we blow the deadline? Need to ask the magic 8-ball

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Posted the day after KK has his best game in half a season and two points. :)

You'd have a point if I hadn't advocated the KK/Kuzy swap a week ago.

Neither is performing like you'd want your 2nd line center to perform, but based on how they're performing heading into the playoffs? I'm putting KK there 9/10 times.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
You'd have a point if I hadn't advocated the KK/Kuzy swap a week ago.

Neither is performing like you'd want your 2nd line center to perform, but based on how they're performing heading into the playoffs? I'm putting KK there 9/10 times.
I think we’re going to see all three in that spot unless someone does something big. If Drury hadn’t have gotten hurt I don’t know that Rod would’ve ever moved him from that spot in the first place. He’s too loyal for that.

I don’t see the production as a reflection of the quality of play from Kuzy. He’s made plenty of nice passes that haven’t gone in the net. Svech isn’t scoring. The others aren’t scorers. We’re a top heavy team right now, I think Kuzy does more to change that than the other two but the guys have to hit the net.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Kuzy was a colossal reach at the deadline and i still don’t understand the trade because of the 2nd year on the deal. Kuzy is Necas like. Outside players who dangle the puck and can make great passes. The main difference is the effort level Necas level gives on defense is the difference in Kuzy’s passing abilities.

Yea necas hasn’t had long term success with any linemates so far. We’ve had brief success with KK-svech and noesen-drury. Necas needs to realize he has better success without the puck than trying to create everything himself. Im sure that those few crazy moments where he dangles and then fires off a shot into the net keeps him wanting more of that.

Necas is likely gone. Jarvis is likely our 2C of the future. We don’t have much in line of centers in the pipeline.
I wonder if Rod is contemplating that for next season? Break him in on the wing first 2 seasons, give him more responsibilities in season 3(taking more draws, etc.), and then take the training wheels off for season 4.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Remember that Kuzy was, by his own admission, out of shape when we acquired him. When he was fresh and running on adrenaline in those first few games, he was a world beater. But it's pretty well known that you can't increase your fitness during the season, the grind only wears you down and the best you can do is maintain the level you're at. I'm sure Rod and Billy will be working closely with him over the offseason to bring his conditioning to the level it should be for the NHL- I think that probably is, and has been, his primary issue over the last few years.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
So we are all thinking this:

59-20-24
37-92-86
48-11-71
23-18-88

Man if Kuzy gets hot, that 2nd line on paper looks lethal.

Yep. When healthy I think this is the best our lineup looks. I love that 4th line combo because it lets Necas be the focal point he loves being by putting him with 2 capable guys who know they’re 2nd and 3rd fiddle and put themselves in the right place to succeed.

Last edited:

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Article re: Wolves season:

And absolutely no one is surprised. This went exactly how I expected.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
So basically we had good prospects and they won. And the NHL signed/called up those good prospects and we didnt have good prospects to immediately backfill, and they didnt win. And they threw a hissy fit.
Yes and no. We wanted our prospects to get more ice time and the veterans to play the 3rd/4th line roles. We wanted Kooch to get the majority of starts, not split with Lyon.

Its why we almost fired the coach.

The vast number of injuries across both teams just put Chicago over the edge

Reactions: cptjeff

BadgerCane58

Jul 10, 2023
So what would change if we went back with Chicago as our AHL affiliate? We still wouldn’t own them and they would still be all pissy about us wanting our players developed properly probably over and above a AHL Championship.
Maybe they should buy the Tucson Roadrunners. Their owner could care less now……

Reactions: DaveG

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
So what would change if we went back with Chicago as our AHL affiliate? We still wouldn’t own them and they would still be all pissy about us wanting our players developed properly probably over and above a AHL Championship.
Precisely why you never get back with an ex...they may claim they've grown but ultimately they just don't want to be alone and exploit the benefits they're now missing while reverting back to exactly why you left them the first time

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
So basically we had good prospects and they won. And the NHL signed/called up those good prospects and we didnt have good prospects to immediately backfill, and they didnt win. And they threw a hissy fit.
yep basically.

our Charlotte team that beat them in 19 was absolutely loaded with prospects that are now in the show. Charlotte got demanding about shit and we moved on to Chicago as the affiliate.

21-22 was a very different team for our affiliate. Some good prospects but other than Kooch and Chatfield nothing that was on par with the best of those Checkers teams. On the other hand they had some very good veteran players that played themselves into NHL offers the next season. The guys that we were able to sign in UFA weren't that same tier though we tried to bring in guys of that tier, the prospects that were coming in were guys drafted late for the most part, and so Chicago got pissy and said "we're going independent".

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Kuzys limemates arent exactly helping him

Which ones? He's been on a few lines over the past few games.

Against Montreal, he was on the 2nd with Martinook and Necas

Boston - 2nd with Martinook and Necas

Washington - 2nd with TT and Necas

Columbus - 2nd with TT and Necas

Boston - 2nd with TT and Necas

St. Louis - he was demoted to 4th to Lemeiux and Fast

Chicago - 4th with Fast and Noesen

Columbus - 2nd with Nadeau and Fast

So it looks like his most common linemates in a normal lineup are Necas and TT. TT has been productive lately, Necas hasn't.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Which ones? He's been on a few lines over the past few games.

Against Montreal, he was on the 2nd with Martinook and Necas

Boston - 2nd with Martinook and Necas

Washington - 2nd with TT and Necas

Columbus - 2nd with TT and Necas

Boston - 2nd with TT and Necas

St. Louis - he was demoted to 4th to Lemeiux and Fast

Chicago - 4th with Fast and Noesen

Columbus - 2nd with Nadeau and Fast

So it looks like his most common linemates in a normal lineup are Necas and TT. TT has been productive lately, Necas hasn't.
Was referring to Necas I guess. Necas - I dont know. I feel like we need to keep him but he's getting more cocky and less a team player

JustPenalties

Jan 17, 2024
Not sold on Kuznetsov just yet. He looks rough out there. Do they want to gamble on offseason conditioning fixing him? He might just be cooked.

They have shown the willingness to pivot when appropriate. Dzingel was dumped early in year 2. de Haan was moved in the offseason after year 1. Haula and Bunting didn’t even finish year 1 with the club. All players they chose to sign or trade for.
Kuzne hasnt been great, but at this price I would just keep him, May he actuqlly trains nexts summer. Anyways, If he makes a few important goals in playoffs we are all more than happy, same goes with KK, he can be a good asset in the playoffs. I dont really care that much how players perform in the regular season, Canes will not have any problems getting in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad