Salary Cap: Roster-Building thread XXXI: Trading for Lupus? Not a typo Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Would love to have Hanzal on the Pens but he'd cost a ton, this year plus 2 more after that on a great contract.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Would love to have Hanzal on the Pens but he'd cost a ton, this year plus 2 more after that on a great contract.

Worth it if we can make Sundqvist a winger. Sundqvist is 6'4 i think, Hanzal 6'6, then get Matthias who's 6'4. Then keep Winnik around for our 4th line, or 3rd if we are bringing Sundqvist along slowly. Maybe target Bernier who's 6'4 and find another tall guy to finish off the bottom 6 who also throws his body around. It's time to stop collecting whatever we can get for our roster and become a big team or we will just get pushed around by the teams in the Metro because we are small and soft.

SaintLouHaintBlue

Have another donut
Feb 22, 2014
Michigan
I don't know how people don't think Perron's fast. He's not Gaborik or Hagelin, but he's still fast.

Sutter's just so blase. He does nothing overly well. He's not elite defensively. He's not huge. He's not physical. He's not a guy whose possession game is going to keep a team hemmed into their own zone for 2 minutes. He's not anything more than mediocre offensively, if that. He's just an invisible player that leaves you wanting more...

I think you are being a little hard on Sutter. He seems pretty good defensively to me.
I want to root for him when he's doing well offensively, but it just doesn't happen in consistently enough. So it's okay if he's traded.

He looked pretty darn okay last year, at least for most of the second half of the seasonn

AR5

Mar 7, 2014
Hey guise, I heard Jagr OK'd the FLA Panther deal, because Bettman assured him that the Panthers are moving out to Las Vegas as an expansion team next season.

=P

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Just now on "That's Hockey" on TSN, LeBrun said that he spoke to several GMs around the league and they were shocked when they heard how much the Pens paid for Winnik. it was way too high for a rental player like him. As a result, it pushed up Dave Tallon's price to acquire Jagr.

GMJR, seriously, WTF?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Just now on "That's Hockey" on TSN, LeBrun said that he spoke to several GMs around the league and they were shocked when they heard how much the Pens paid for Winnik. it was way too high for a rental player like him. As a result, it pushed up Dave Tallon's price to acquire Jagr.

GMJR, seriously, WTF?

Glad I'm not the only one who constantly said that it was a brutal trade and that he wasn't worth what Toronto was asking.

AR5

Mar 7, 2014

GMJR, seriously, WTF?

Hey, at least everyone else has to up the ante also!

If we pay, they must pay.

All part of the plan. Now when GMJR ships out Martin, he'll get a bigger haul as well. Get a 1st back even?

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
Wow, LeBrun said that he spoke to several GMs around the league and they were shocked when they heard how much the Pens paid for Winnik. it was way too high for a rental player like him. As a result, it pushed up Dave Tallon's price to acquire Jagr.

GMJR, seriously, WTF?

We paid more for the salary retention. There weren't many other players we could have got without making some moves. That's where it gets complicated.

Say he moved Kunitz to open up space to get another player and we get trumped in a deal and get no one. Winnik was a deal that was simple enough and he's a pretty good player too.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
There were 6 fs drafted after BB. Sheahan, Kevin Hayes, Kuznetsov, Coyle, Etem and Brock Nelson. You can take your pick of which are better than BB. I would have any one on my team over BB.

To get a top 6 F for next year, JR has to pull a GOGO for Neal or Whitney for Kunitz deal. However, he has limited assets to do this. IMO, its going to take giving up either Maata or Pouliett to do it.

Drafting both BB and Joe Morrow instead of Saad are reasons Shero is gone.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
We paid more for the salary retention. There weren't many other players we could have got without making some moves. That's where it gets complicated.

Say he moved Kunitz to open up space to get another player and we get trumped in a deal and get no one. Winnik was a deal that was simple enough and he's a pretty good player too.

I had this argument last week that salary retention was going to cost the Pens if it happened. I'm not sure why anyone thought otherwise. Other teams are not out to do the Pens favors.

This deal could have been done if Sill was sent down though I believe. Hard to tell exactly without Capgeek. So as others already pointed out, why would he pay the price for retention if he didn't have another move in mind?

Guess we will see.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

He'd be worth it. I'd give up plenty to have that beast on our 3rd line for the next few years at that price.

He can line up against the biggest, baddest centers in the game and come out on top.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

GMJR, seriously, WTF?

Way i see it is JR really wanted Winnik and was comfortable with what he has as prospects: Kapanen, Sundqvist, Bennett still. All of the good possible tweener guys: Rust, Wilson, Archibald. All of his top end D-prospects still in the fold and 2 good goalie prospects in Murray and Jarry.

He was willing to pay the 2nd rounder cuz of the names mentioned above and the Pens being in win now mode. He doesn't have that, he's probably not as willing.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Perron - Crosby - Hornqvist
Kunitz - Malkin - Comeau
Winnik - Sutter - Bennett
Spaling - Lapierre - Downie

I think that's a playoff ready roster. Lots of grit now. No Adams or Sill so there's some serious addition by subtraction.

We are very thin though, one injury the forwards or D and things get sketchy quick.

Thats some pretty damn solid depth. Best looking 4th line we've had for as long as I can remember.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

GMJR, seriously, WTF?

Those GM's don't know our cap situation, we also got him for 50% off which means the price goes up and because it's 50% off we have enough room to do atleast 1 more move.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Those GM's don't know our cap situation, we also got him for 50% off which means the price goes up and because it's 50% off we have enough room to do atleast 1 more move.

Still praying for that Sutter for Petry move....

NjPensfan

Oct 17, 2014
I work at a grocery store, and i hate it. I dunno if i would ever work for myself, i am pretty stupid (the rest of my entire family are all pretty smart). Would be pretty cool to have my own hours and not have to wake up so early for work, i hate early mornings.

I'm unemployed but handsome

roquay

Aug 9, 2012
Victoria
I had this argument last week that salary retention was going to cost the Pens if it happened. I'm not sure why anyone thought otherwise. Other teams are not out to do the Pens favors.

This deal could have been done if Sill was sent down though I believe. Hard to tell exactly without Capgeek. So as others already pointed out, why would he pay the price for retention if he didn't have another move in mind?

Guess we will see.

It keeps his options open. We probably would have been giving up a 3rd instead of the 2nd anyway

NjPensfan

Oct 17, 2014
Kunitz - Malkin - Comeau
Winnik - Sutter - Bennett
Spaling - Lapierre - Downie

I think that's a playoff ready roster. Lots of grit now. No Adams or Sill so there's some serious addition by subtraction.

We are very thin though, one injury the forwards or D and things get sketchy quick.

But wouldn't a goo RW to play with Malkin look even better? Trade Sutter+
Kunitz - Malkin - New guy...let's call him Jesus
Comeau - Spaling - Bennett
Winnik - Lapierre - Downie

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Still praying for that Sutter for Petry move....

Wouldn't shock me in the slightest if Sutter were to be moved. Sutter's biggest value to this team is on the PK, however with the acquisition of Winnick we've also managed to acquire one of the top penalty killers in the league. Move Sutter, bump Spaling up to 3C, and have a bit of fun with the cap space we've now opened up.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
But wouldn't a goo RW to play with Malkin look even better? Trade Sutter+
Kunitz - Malkin - New guy...let's call him Jesus
Comeau - Spaling - Bennett
Winnik - Lapierre - Downie

Speaking of which, are there any names circulating around the league as potentially fitting that 2nd like RW criteria? What's the rumor mill saying these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad