Salary Cap: Roster-Building thread XXX: The NSFW edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

penguins2946*

I can't really talk about Sundqvist because I didn't watch a single game from him this year. But you look very confident about him making the lineup on a 15min+ defensive role in the NHL and the guy still didn't make the NA jump. I'm pretty sure he will need a full AHL season before making the NHL like most prospects, and I also think it will be better for him if he follow that road.

He's not like Kapanen, he was ready to play in the NHL this year. He's legit, he's the safest bet of all of our F prospects. He's almost guaranteed to be at least a solid 3rd liner.

A Sundqvist Matthias Bennett line would look just as good and not cost nearly as many assets.

Matthias is actually available in a "hockey trade" as well.

It makes a lot more sense to chase after him right now using a guy like Kunitz and other add ons.

I'm not nearly as high on Matthias as you are, and responses from Canucks fans really don't put much confidence in me about him. We need a better 3C than him. Even if it's not Staal (he's 3rd on my wish list behind Hanzal and Soderberg), we need someone.

If there were any legit wingers in free agency, I'd be all for bringing in Matthias. However, there really isn't. The best duo we could do is Tlusty and Williams, and that's not good enough.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Yeah, you're right. Gonna have to just agree to disagree and all that.

Staal's contract was ludicrous when he signed it and it's really not much better, now. It makes me sound like I "hate" him, or whatever but shoving 60 million dollars across the table (over the course of a decade!) for Jordan Staal was and is hilarious and the team dodged a massive bullet in that he had no interest in staying here.

None of that is even touching on the flat out crippling price the Penguins would have to pay to get him out of Carolina.

To play Devil's Advocate: Our winger situation is much better now. We've found a cheap, effective player in Comeau that seems like he'd stick around for cheap. We can (and should) jettison Kunitz, Sutter, and Scuderi by next October. The cap is likely going to go up by a million or two, or at worst should remain the same. Martin, Ehrhoff, Adams, Dupuis, are off the books moving forward. We can definitely afford Staal and still fill out the roster nicely.

Now, to break from hypothetical situations, my fear is that Staal returning either A. forces Geno to wing, or B. effectively marks the end of JR & Co.'s efforts to retool and fill out the roster.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I can't really talk about Sundqvist because I didn't watch a single game from him this year. But you look very confident about him making the lineup on a 15min+ defensive role in the NHL and the guy still didn't make the NA jump. I'm pretty sure he will need a full AHL season before making the NHL like most prospects, and I also think it will be better for him if he follow that road.

Guys coming out of that league stand a better chance of making an immediate transition to NHL ice. But you're right that it's probably best if he at least spends some time in the A, first. But only if he clearly has stuff to work on. I'm tired of sending better options to the A because Craig Adams and lately Sill are boils on the ass of this team.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
I hope Staal comes back just for Cassius.

It will be more years of me rubbing it in everyone's face.

Just like how everyone around here held the belief that Staal was a 2C.. While I maintained he was a 3LC.

Wel guess what? Cassius was right.. Staal hasn't done **** in Carolina in a scoring role. I'm fine taking more victory laps

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
let's just say our top 4 wingers next year are

Perron, Hornqvist, Comeau and Bennett... and if not Bennett, someone to replace him. Do people not feel that that is a championship-caliber top-4?

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
Aaron Ward ‏@TSNAaronWard 1m1 minute ago
Amid Jordan Staal trade rumors, I am told he has been reassured today, by the team, that this speculation is unfounded. #TSN

We can chill

penguins2946*

Perron, Hornqvist, Comeau and Bennett... and if not Bennett, someone to replace him. Do people not feel that that is a championship-caliber top-4?

Not, but I have no idea why we would go into next year with that top-6 wing group. With or without Staal, we could afford to do better than that.

Amid Jordan Staal trade rumors, I am told he has been reassured today, by the team, that this speculation is unfounded. #TSN

We can chill

And just like that, the dream dies. Actually, that really means nothing. The Canes telling Staal the rumors aren't true doesn't mean the Pens aren't interested in bringing him back.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
I miss capgeek. :(

If we move Kunitz, Sutter, and Scuderi--which I think we have to regardless of who is coming back--that's $10.525M. Dupuis is done for all intents and purposes. Adams, Martin, Ehrhoff, Comeau, Downie, Sill, Lapierre, and Greiss are all off the books this summer. That's another $17.95M coming off the books this summer.

Perron (4.25) - Crosby (8.7) - Hornqvist (4.25)
XXXX - Malkin (9.5) - XXXX
Spaling (2.2) - XXXX - Bennett (~1.2)
Farnham (0.6) - XXXX - XXXX

Letang (7.25) - Maatta (.925)
Despres (.900) - XXXX
Harrington (.600) - Pouliot (.925)

Fleury (5.750)
XXXX

That's $47.05M against the cap next season. Safe assumption is that the cap goes up a million or two to $71M. That's $23.95M to work with. Now, assume we land Staal, just for argument's sake. That drops to $17.95M.

XXXX/Staal (6.0) - Malkin (9.5) - XXXX
Spaling (2.2) - XXXX/Staal (6.0) - Bennett (~1.2)
Farnham (0.6) - XXXX - XXXX

Now, re-sign Comeau. He'll likely come relatively cheap at $2.5M. Go after Boychuk this summer to round out the top four defense. He'll likely cost around $6M. That leaves $9.45M left to round things out. Sign a relatively cheap, but effective guy for the third line. Someone like Letestu, likely going to cost ~$3M, leaving $6.45M left. Re-sign Lapierre at $1.5M, and try to find another good bottom sixer. You can spend up to approx. $1.5 on him, depending on who.

Staal (6.0) - Malkin (9.5) - Comeau (2.5)
Spaling (2.2) - Letestu (3.0) - Bennett (~1.2)
Farnham (0.6) - Lapierre (1.5) - XXXX (1.5)
XXXX (.700)

Letang (7.25) - Maatta (.925)
Boychuk (6.25) - Despres (.900)
Harrington (.600) - Pouliot (.925)
Bortuzzo (.600)

Fleury (5.75)
XXXX (1.5)

Total cap hit of $70.6M with wiggle room depending on the price of the 12th and 13th forwards, and Boychuk's asking price (or similar top 4 defenseman). Sundqvist can slot in to the 3C role if he proves ready, saving more money from signing someone of Letestu's caliber/cap range.

Why a career minor leaguer on the 4th line? Scott Wilson is a better option. Letestu would have us longing for the days of Sutter. As the Staal rumors die, we are back to Matthias as an option.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008

Perron and Hornqvist, yes. I'd still rather find Geno his wingers. I think Bennett's best as a 3rd line guy, and I don't really think Comeau's gonna be able to keep up his current level of play. That being said, with the right winger addition, I'd have absolutely no problem having Comeau be the third wheel on a line with Geno and another Perron/Hornqvist caliber guy.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
To play Devil's Advocate: Our winger situation is much better now. We've found a cheap, effective player in Comeau that seems like he'd stick around for cheap. We can (and should) jettison Kunitz, Sutter, and Scuderi by next October. The cap is likely going to go up by a million or two, or at worst should remain the same. Martin, Ehrhoff, Adams, Dupuis, are off the books moving forward. We can definitely afford Staal and still fill out the roster nicely.

Now, to break from hypothetical situations, my fear is that Staal returning either A. forces Geno to wing, or B. effectively marks the end of JR & Co.'s efforts to retool and fill out the roster.

I don't know how much better it really is. Perron and Hornqvist are the only two guys I count solidly as top six players. I love what Comeau has done here but I refuse to put my eggs in that basket, even as a complimentary guy on that line. I think it's foolish to latch on to him as a bonafide wing for Malkin after only a little more than half a season's work. Comeau has bounced around the league for a reason. If the team wants to do right by it's second line, I feel like there is still a lot of work to be done.

...and to dovetail that into your second point, after the cost is tallied for bringing Staal in, along with his cap hit... you're damned right the team will be looking for excuses to "maximize their investment." Owing to Malkin's "experience" on the wing... really... what do you think the result will be? There are lots of other needs on this team and only so much cap space to fill it. If Staal were acquired, he would absolutely be viewed by JR as the capstone to a on-the-fly rebuild and Malkin would just have to... make do. I'm getting pretty ****ing tired of that.

It doesn't matter. I think this team is pretty dumb... but I don't think they are this dumb. People are thinking with their hearts instead of their brains. This is likely a way to tell Sutter, through the media, that his body of work this year is unacceptable and he needs to seriously step it up.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
It will be more years of me rubbing it in everyone's face.

Just like how everyone around here held the belief that Staal was a 2C.. While I maintained he was a 3LC.

Wel guess what? Cassius was right.. Staal hasn't done **** in Carolina in a scoring role. I'm fine taking more victory laps

Scoring role with Patrick Dwyer and Nathan Gerbe.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Scoring role with Patrick Dwyer and Nathan Gerbe.

That's so disingenuous.

I've watched him in Carolina. He's played and plays with plenty of quality players. His linemate situation in Carolina is no worse than Malkin's has been here, most years.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
Marc Arcobello was on genos wing a few weeks ago... The winger situation is still tenuous

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

edit: I mentioned yesterday when the Yohe story came out to read the fine print at the bottom of the article.

It said this

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/s...-team-wants-to-re-acquire-jordan-staal/71151/

This is speculation masked as "insider knowledge," but most of the reasoning is sound.

The "leak" is calculated, subtextual communication. It can't just be taken at face value. Whether it's directed at Sutter or Staal is anybody's guess, but I do agree that the only way Staal comes back here is if (Eric decides to bail)/(Francis decides to bail on Eric) and Jordan pulls an Iginla/Luongo--trade me and oh, by the way, I'll only go one place.

Longshot, in other words.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

Do you really believe this organization would choose to trade Kunitz for futures and re-sign Comeau? Instead of taking the easy road and just let Comeau walk?

Or better still, keep Kunitz, re-sign Comeau and send Beau Bennett to Siberia! That'll learn him.

We can chill

Best thing I've read all day. Now hopefully Wardo has inside info on this one...and since he won a Cup with the 'Canes, he just might.

OK JR...it's time to get 'creative', like you said earlier this season after the Perron deal.

No more quick fixes. No more reacquisitions of fetish players. You need to do this, and you need to do this the right way.

If not you, hopefully someone else.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

We can chill

I feel better now.

I really think all these big trade rumors, and possible Staal trade talk is a bunch of BS, maybe the pens think this stuff will motivate the pens.

I think your going to see JR do what hes been planning on doing all along, trade for a rental def or forward, or maybe both.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I don't know how much better it really is. Perron and Hornqvist are the only two guys I count solidly as top six players. I love what Comeau has done here but I refuse to put my eggs in that basket, even as a complimentary guy on that line. I think it's foolish to latch on to him as a bonafide wing for Malkin after only a little more than half a season's work. Comeau has bounced around the league for a reason. If the team wants to do right by it's second line, I feel like there is still a lot of work to be done.

...and to dovetail that into your second point, after the cost is tallied for bringing Staal in, along with his cap hit... you're damned right the team will be looking for excuses to "maximize their investment." Owing to Malkin's "experience" on the wing... really... what do you think the result will be? There are lots of other needs on this team and only so much cap space to fill it. If Staal were acquired, he would absolutely be viewed by JR as the capstone to a on-the-fly rebuild and Malkin would just have to... make do. I'm getting pretty ****ing tired of that.

It doesn't matter. I think this team is pretty dumb... but I don't think they are this dumb. People are thinking with their hearts instead of their brains. This is likely a way to tell Sutter, through the media, that his body of work this year is unacceptable and he needs to seriously step it up.

My thinking is that Geno doesn't need as perfect a situation as Sid seems to need. Comeau as a third wheel guy would be fine, as long as we got a Perron/Hornqvist caliber guy for Geno's other wing. I was really looking forward to Foligno making it to free agency, but he's off the table. I am with you on the Comeau front though. I'd really like to see a 3rd line of Comeau - XXXX - Bennett, but if we have to use Comeau as a third wheel guy with Geno+1, I don't think it'd be a detriment.

I'm with you on the worries about Staal's impact on Geno's role as well. The last thing in the world I want is for Staal to be acquired, and that leading to Geno being played at wing. That was the absolute dumbest, most short-sighted, idiotic thing I can remember this franchise ever doing. That was my snap reaction; Staal raises more questions than he answers. But, there could be a very real benefit to acquiring him should the factors line up correctly. If he was willing to play wing on Geno's line, I think it'd be a good pick up. I genuinely believe he could and would work there, especially with the tutelage of Tocchet and Guerin. That being said, I don't know how realistic that scenario is.

Either way, it's all been confirmed that this foray into fantasy land was silly to begin with. It wasn't ever gonna happen, and now we have credible confirmation from Ward at TSN saying there's no truth to the rumors.

Michael8771*

What's the latest peeps? Michael just woke up, he needs the latest info. Would one of you be good enough to catch me up while I have some cocoa?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad