Salary Cap: Roster-building Thread XXIX : Forget Talent... we need Heart! (And apparently Staal?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Ya, I've been talking about him forever and brought him up again a couple of pages ago when this news broke. He does a lot of things well like Staal, including his defensive acumen. The big difference is Staal was always the gentle giant that needed to be enraged to play his best. Sundqvist has a natural mean steak in him.

Give the guy a chance before you do something stupid. I'm pretty sure Staal isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Why give up so much when there are other options that will cost far less or nothing at all?

The Pens would be overpaying for familiarity, nothing more. Just because Sutter is a possession black hole, doesn't mean you take the nuclear option to fix the problem.

Agreed. We spend a lot of time on these boards collectively moaning about the lack of forward prospects, then seem to overlook the ones we have.

I have to wonder if this whole thing is more about getting the word out that Sutter is available and/or laying groundwork with the fanbase regarding trading him than it is about bringing Gronk back into the fold.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
In a perfect world, we're getting rid of Sutter, Kunitz, and Scuderi's contracts between now and October. We're losing Martin's deal as we let him walk. We're losing Ehrhoff's deal as we let him walk. That's a huge chunk of money to work with in terms of retooling the roster. Add to that Dupuis' deal as I doubt he ever plays again. You're looking at $24M in free space to fill out the roster. Assume Staal's coming back, that's still $18M.

Perron - Crosby - Hornqvist
Staal - Malkin - Comeau
XXXX - Spaling - Bennett
Farnham - Lapierre - XXXX

Letang - Maatta
Despres - XXXX
Harrington - Pouliot
Dumoulin

That's a huge chunk of change to fill out a top 4 defenseman, a 3rd line winger and a 4th line winger. You could very realistically land a guy I'd be gunning for in Boychuk and still have $12M+ to spend on two bottom six players, or one bottom six player and a 2nd line winger for Geno if Staal's gonna be 3C.

It wouldn't be overly hard to get the roster to near perfection. We'd just need a front office with the brains and the balls to get it done.

I'm a bit lazy to do the math, can I just ask how much did you use for Bennett, Comeau and Lappy's contract to see how feasible it would be, assuming the cap next year is 70m? Thanks!

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Is there any chance that Carolina retains a portion of Staal's cap hit? Like $1M or so?

Also people do realize Sundqvist has been playing wing all year right? Put him on wing with Staal on the 3rd line, and you solve our size issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad