Speculation: Roster Building Thread XLVIII - “Into the Heartland”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
To add to this, so it doesn't look like I'm just freestyling and trying to pop anyone's balloons:

"The Rangers have found essentially no interest in Smith or Shattenkirk on the trade market, even with a 50% contract retention. It is possible the Blueshirts could move Shattenkirk in return for taking on an odious contract, but it doesn’t seem likely they would go that route."

https://nypost.com/2019/06/11/rangers-arent-shying-away-from-buyouts-this-summer/

The only thing I disagree with is that the Rangers are oppossed to taking on a contract. It would just have to be a similar contract.

I know you are not. Two nights ago I heard the Rangers were actively trying to move both Shattenkirk and Smith, but to no avail.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I have no insight either way concerning the Rangers views on JP. I know they like the versatility Names brings, but at what cost?

Moving Names and Vesey in deals for JP and a pick would probably shed what, a total of around $4.5-$5 when all is said and done and JP is resigned?

But I don’t believe Edmonton can accept more cap back. They’ll be looking to offload contracts, no? So it would need to be $ in $ out for them. Manning and Gagner have 1 year left each. Neither are NHL players

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Backes’ buyout would be less so trading for him and buying him out would actually be the better route

Backes buyout basically saves no money this year. It saves 300k this year. The point of the buyout is to clear space now for someone like Panarin.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
But I don’t believe Edmonton can accept more cap back. They’ll be looking to offload contracts, no? So it would need to be $ in $ out for them. Manning and Gagner have 1 year left each. Neither are NHL players

Gagner has a year and about $3 million left, so combined with JP, that is basically Names' salary...

Reactions: NYR Viper

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I get a chubby of just thinking of the possibility of a potential 1st line of....

Panarin Zibs Kakko

When have the NYR ever had that much talent?

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Backes buyout basically saves no money this year. It saves 300k this year. The point of the buyout is to clear space now for someone like Panarin.

Ah okay that’s the discrepancy, I was thinking of just finding a better buyout. Overall I would think long term it would be less harmful to the Rangers in years 3+4

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I find it HIGHLY unlikely that no team will take Shatty at 50%. HIGHLY UNLIKELY.

If you want to be in a winning situation with Shattenkirk, you need to have a top 4 defensemen that is rock solid and can eat 22-25 a night with each pair.

Plus

Be in a situation where those top 4 defensemen would not be capable of quarterbacking a powerplay.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other wise, if you are a losing team... what is your incentive of bringing on Shattenkirk?

The only incentive I can think of, is if the Rangers are ponying up assets to move Shattenkirk.

If you are the Rangers? Why? You are still accumulating assets in your rebuild, and paying a team both assets and taking on 50% of Shatts isn't going to make a lot of sense.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The third scenario, is an equally bad contract.... which is not out of the question... is a bad contract coming the other way.

For that to happen, a team would have to have a need for Shattenkirk, and view him as an upgrade on their current defense corp.

The only team I can think of that fits that bill is Vancouver... a team where Shattenkirk can veto a deal to.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Ah okay that’s the discrepancy, I was thinking of just finding a better buyout. Overall I would think long term it would be less harmful to the Rangers in years 3+4

Well if we're not using a buyout to open up cap space now for something needed (basically only Panarin) then I wouldn't have any interest in buying anyone out and take hits 3-4 years from now. Regardless, I don't want to buy anyone out though.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
This thread is on fire today. 9 pages in 6 hours? Damn. Everytime I look back in, there's been 3 new pages... too busy at work today to keep up with the conversation!
If we get another #BBkbomb sometime today the next thread will have 20 pages by tonight

Reactions: Kupo

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
If you want to be in a winning situation with Shattenkirk, you need to have a top 4 defensemen that is rock solid and can eat 22-25 a night with each pair.

Plus

Be in a situation where those top 4 defensemen would not be capable of quarterbacking a powerplay.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other wise, if you are a losing team... what is your incentive of bringing on Shattenkirk?

The only incentive I can think of, is if the Rangers are ponying up assets to move Shattenkirk.

If you are the Rangers? Why? You are still accumulating assets in your rebuild, and paying a team both assets and taking on 50% of Shatts isn't going to make a lot of sense.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The third scenario, is an equally bad contract.... which is not out of the question... is a bad contract coming the other way.

For that to happen, a team would have to have a need for Shattenkirk, and view him as an upgrade on their current defense corp.

The only team I can think of that fits that bill is Vancouver... a team where Shattenkirk can veto a deal to.
Arizona fits the bill... Dont get me wrong.. It'd be a 'half-ass' move. A stop gap, with minimal cost to the acquiring team..

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I'm curious as to whether the Rangers would view a potential buyout as being more about Panarin, or more about having Trouba, Fox, ADA and others in the fold, and not really seeing a way to rehab Shatty's value and develop emerging young talent.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
It's also weird seeing most pundits, slotting in Fox ahead of ADA... do they know something I dont?

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
But does it make sense for Boston? I don't think so. I'm sure they wouldn't mind getting rid of Backes, but they have no use for Shatty unless Miller can't come back from his knee injury. Maybe if we retain 50% they would do it just for the cap savings, but not at full price.
VEgas is the one and only team I’ve heard/read the rangers have talked to who were interested in a trade. He’s a different element than miller and an element they don’t have and we’re hoping to fill with karlsson. But of course, it’s gonna be a deal where we take back a contract or two

Where that might be ok with gorts is if the player can either be traded or slotted into a lineup spot here for a little while

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I'm curious as to whether the Rangers would view a potential buyout as being more about Panarin, or more about having Trouba, Fox, ADA and others in the fold, and not really seeing a way to rehab Shatty's value and develop emerging young talent.

That second year of a Shattenkirk buyout is nasty though.

Reactions: BringBackLibertys

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Arizona fits the bill... Dont get me wrong.. It'd be a 'half-ass' move. A stop gap, with minimal cost to the acquiring team..

ARI was one of the best defensive teams last year for a long stretch, they can't score. The names may not be sexy, but their defense is fine.

ARI needs scoring. A +25 goals to their roster last year, and a healthy Schmaltz is a team that's on the right track.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site

Both reasons fit the bill nicely. If Breadman is off to FLA, then the Rangers don't need the added space. But in terms of value, I think both Smith and Shattenkirk did themselves in with how they came into camp two years ago, and what they've shown since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad