Speculation: Roster Building Thread XLVIII - “Into the Heartland”

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Not sure if it was @Edge or someone else, but the fact that Shatty was finding no takers when last he checked doesn't mean that there won't be down the road. Certainly, there's the chance that he could demonstrate improved play and rehabilitate his value, but there's also the fact that others' needs change. Trouba and Karlsson are now off the market – does that alter anyone's thinking? Maybe they're waiting for him to get bought out thinking they can then snag him on a $3MM contract – if the Rangers let the buyout windows go by and hang on to him, do they suddenly become more amenable to offering a 4A player or a 7th round pick in exchange?

Much as we'd all like to have our roster issues all resolved immediately, I just think it would be foolish to saddle ourselves with four years of dead cap space rather now, rather than wait to see what happens over the next 12 months. The option to buy him out will always be there again next year, if needed (at the cost of one less year's dead cap).
That's my thinking as well. Once Tyler Myers, Jake Gardiner, Alexander Edler are all off the board as well. The market thins out even more. Defensemen are ALWAYS in need.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
There was another tweet by Rishaug I think that said they are looking for a 3rd liner. Vesey fits the bill, but you're right that they would likely prefer someone with more term.

Yeah I think if Vesey had another year left then it could work but watching JP develop into a top six winger while you end up with nothing would be ugly.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

This is why Edmonton might be interested in moving for a guy like Vesey...they need to get something for Puljujarvi at this point because his time with them is done.

Vesey's contract situation may complicate that though

e: or yeah as Edge says, Names.

Puljujarvi may have been a 4th overall but whether because he himself is a bust or the Oilers messed with his development, he's just done there and they have to recoup something from it

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I know everyone is thinking Vesey, but Namestnikov seems like he might be a more interesting fit there.

He's third liner who can play any forward position, and he does have a history of putting up points with top-end talent.
That does make more sense, and he's more reliable in the defensive zone which I am sure the Oilers would like. Could see him do great with McDavid.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I know everyone is thinking Vesey, but Namestnikov seems like he might be a more interesting fit there.

He's third liner who can play any forward position, and he does have a history of putting up points with top-end talent.

And the Rangers could take back someone like Gagner to play in the AHL for cap purposes

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I actually like Names to stay. The versatile aspect, the energy, the PK and there's always the Russian translator on the ice.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Names is the kind of guy who would look good with McDavid and Draisaitl. Can slot in at 3c for versatility and has proven he can produce with high skip guys.

Names and a prospect for JP and Kassian could make some sense if the Rangers are looking for more bite on the 4th line.

Ugh. Edge beat me to it lol.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Will they? The **** on Shattenkirk parade has been going on for the past 3 seasons, and a lot of it is driven by front office members and coaches around the NHL

The health is going to be a concern, especially when we talk about a year beyond this one.

Could he be a target for teams after July 1? Maybe, maybe not.

I think we keep pushing back the window for when teams are going to be interested in him. The TDL, the offseason, after the top guys go, etc.

At some point, there just might not be a market for the guy until something drastic changes. And if you're the Rangers, do you bank on that?

I could see a scenario where, if Shatty doesn't necessarily do anything to increase his value, he slides into a 7th defenseman role as Fox emerges. What I don't know I see, coupled with the feedback I am getting, is a trade scenario.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007

I would much rather trade Vesey. In my opinion Namest is a valuable utility player, wouldn’t mind him sticking around. Of course, the oilers could have the same opinion.

Reactions: Edge

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey

I'd be interested in that. I like Names but I also am a sucker for a cool gamble.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
This thread is on fire today. 9 pages in 6 hours? Damn. Everytime I look back in, there's been 3 new pages... too busy at work today to keep up with the conversation!

Reactions: NYR Viper

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Backes’ buyout would be less so trading for him and buying him out would actually be the better route
No, it wont.

The way its split would be different. The purpose of the buyout would be to free up money for the present. Backes buyout defeats that purpose

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I have no insight either way concerning the Rangers views on JP. I know they like the versatility Names brings, but at what cost?

Moving Names and Vesey in deals for JP and a pick would probably shed what, a total of around $4.5-$5 when all is said and done and JP is resigned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad