SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
If all of the following are true:

A. Nobody will take Shattenkirk at 50%
B. The Rangers don't need a buyout to clear cap space to make a big splash
C. The Rangers prefer Trouba/DeAngelo/Fox to Shattenkirk

Just healthy scratch him every single game for the next two years rather than buyout him out in a time we don't need the money and adding a dead hit on in Y3 and Y4.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'm curious as to whether the Rangers would view a potential buyout as being more about Panarin, or more about having Trouba, Fox, ADA and others in the fold, and not really seeing a way to rehab Shatty's value and develop emerging young talent.
I am of a mind that it is the latter, but that is a tough cap pill to swallow.

NernieBichols

Aug 8, 2011
That second year of a Shattenkirk buyout is nasty though.
Same amount as we’d be paying him to be 7th or in Hartford which by next year might be the case because on a rebuilding developing team, it’s more important to play our younger guys

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn

Just healthy scratch him every single game for the next two years rather than buyout him out in a time we don't need the money and adding a dead hit on in Y3 and Y4.
Try him at RW once Fast is traded :sarcasm:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

The problem with this (and I'm not for a Shattenkirk buyout) is that you only have the off-season to execute a buyout. If you keep him when you know you're not going to have a use for him, you're potentially putting yourself in a situation where you don't have the space you need to make that big splash via trade. You have to consider future flexibility in the decision making and not just what opportunities exist in the next few weeks.

Reactions: NernieBichols

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island

I think a buyout in the final year of Shattenkirk's (or Staal's) contract would not be a problem at all. Would result in a little over 1mill cap savings next year and a hit of 667k the following season. Doing so for Staals contract would save 2 million next year and cost 1 million the following season.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
The problem with this (and I'm not for a Shattenkirk buyout) is that you only have the off-season to execute a buyout. If you keep him when you know you're not going to have a use for him, you're potentially putting yourself in a situation where you don't have the space you need to make that big splash via trade. You have to consider future flexibility in the decision making and not just what opportunities exist in the next few weeks.

Well if they don't sign Panarin in the offseason they will almost surely go into the season with excess cap space if they don't sign a bunch of 4th liners for money. And you accrue cap space during the year as well so you can afford more later.

BringBackLibertys

Oct 10, 2007
Middlesex, NC

We are still rebuilding, its to early to make a big splash, we are not in our window. We will most likely (I would say 80% to 90%) will NOT make the playoffs this year. We can buy him out next year. All of this will be moot when Panarin goes to FLA, because there is NO ONE else we should be signing if he does not come here.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

Not even a healthy scratch every game, but the spare D if Fox isn't ready or DeAngelo is itching for a healthy scratch. Just for one year, pay his bonus July 1, then trade him and his $2.0M salary for a player on a team that doesn't spend to the cap who has a salary and a cap hit of around $2 million.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

Wonder if the Oil could do something with a conditional pick based on Puljujarvi's production. For example:

To NYR: JP

To EDM: Namestnikov + conditional 7th round pick, that becomes a 5th if he scores 40, a 3rd if he scores 50, a 2nd if he scores 60...

Reactions: Thirty One

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Well if they don't sign Panarin in the offseason they will almost surely go into the season with excess cap space if they don't sign a bunch of 4th liners for money. And you accrue cap space during the year as well so you can afford more later.

Maybe, but I think the logic is still there for why you might buy out a player you could just throw in the press box or down to Hartford. What if two such situations arise?

Like I said, I'm not for a Shattenkirk buyout this year because the 2nd year is just too prohibitive, but I definitely understand why they might consider it. Give yourself as much flexibility as possible in all situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad