Speculation: Roster Building Thread V (2019/2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Thx guys.

It’s basically what I meant, something happened during the Philly game that had to do with discipline and Quinn said that he was looking for reason to take guys out, to get Freddy in who had been out for a while, so TDA sat.

My point is just, I am not saying there are zero issues with TDA, just that it’s starting to get a little overblown.

This is Quinn on sitting Chytil:
““It was an easy decision, really,” Quinn said. “Part of development is learning accountability and learning there are certain things that are non-negotiable. He and I have talked about that.””

Plenty of guys sat last season, and Quinn sat a high standard.

It's a little overblown if this were the first instance. But things like this have followed him since Jr's. He's not good enough, yet, to be a headache. And the Chytil stuff is more about on ice things, giving a consistent effort which you'd expect from a 19 year old, not off-ice bullshit from a 23 year old.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Yeah sounds like Tony’s offer is the offer. We don’t know where it is right now but doesn’t sound like it’s going to improve.

Reactions: egelband

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Well if the team made it sound like the offer could improve that would sort of destroy their negotiating position no?

Saying it’s up to tony to join when he’s ready is different than Saying we’re working towards an agreement with his side.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Certainly you'd expect that unless Georgiev has a huge sophomore slump that the games will be pretty close to an even split.

On the topic of Hartford's veteran backup though, you wonder if they want Tom McCollum to be the designated NHL benchwarmer during times when Georgiev joins the Wolfpack for ice time.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
So I did a short recap on capfriendly (armchair GM).

ADA at 1.7m/y. Smith buried in the AHL. Hajek, Rykov, Fox with the Rangers. Andersson in the AHL. McKegg 13th forward. 13/7/2

Leaves us with 280k in cap space ... enough to switch players between Hartford and NYR.

will1066

Tarasenko: most dollar store player of all time
Oct 12, 2008
Seems like a little good cop/bad cop thing going on, with JD being the bad cop and Gorton keeping the lines open with Brisson.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Options on the right side are limited, however. I can't imagine anyone's ideal this season was having Brendan Smith play 82 games as the 3RD

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.

ADA at 1.7m/y. Smith buried in the AHL. Hajek, Rykov, Fox with the Rangers. Andersson in the AHL. McKegg 13th forward. 13/7/2

Leaves us with 280k in cap space ... enough to switch players between Hartford and NYR.

We really need to start with 12.5/6.5/2 (Smith up as double-duty, and another player down). That turns the 300k-ish into just over 1M.

$1.25M has to be the number to get Tony to play. If he shrugs off that offer, he's not a team player. Full stop.

Reactions: egelband

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

280k is not enough space.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Well this doesn’t help tony at all but the Pens just resigned 23 year old dman Marcus Pettersson to an 875k one year deal. Kid played 84 regular season games (with his mouth shut and causing no maturity issues)

25 pts (good for 3rd among rookie d)
23 assists (good for 2nd among rookie d)
+17 (good for 3rd among rookie D)

38th overall pick in 2014

Tony’s ppg numbers are higher of course but any defensive short comings or maturity issues that cost him games plays certainly evens that out.

He’s not going to get a lot more than a guy like this. Time to get to camp kid you’re not helping yourself

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Well this doesn’t help tony at all but the Pens just resigned 23 year old dman Marcus Pettersson to an 875k one year deal. Kid played 84 regular season games (with his mouth shut and causing no maturity issues)

25 pts (good for 3rd among rookie d)
23 assists (good for 2nd among rookie d)
+17 (good for 3rd among rookie D)

38th overall pick in 2014

Tony’s ppg numbers are higher of course but any defensive short comings or maturity issues that cost him games plays certainly evens that out.

He’s not going to get a lot more than a guy like this. Time to get to camp kid you’re not helping yourself

I'm sure playing with players like Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Guentzel had something to do with the "inflated" stats considering he just put up 6 points in 27 games with the Ducks before going to an offensive powerhouse. Can't imagine what numbers Tony would have put up with that crew.

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019

You're forgetting that ranger players on ELCs will likely hit performance bonuses at the end of the year. Anything over the cap on that carries over to the next year. With Shatty's buyout hitting 6 mill next year, we need to dave any dollar we can for next off-season.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
You're forgetting that ranger players on ELCs will likely hit performance bonuses at the end of the year. Anything over the cap on that carries over to the next year. With Shatty's buyout hitting 6 mill next year, we need to dave any dollar we can for next off-season.

They're going to have around 20M in cap space going into next season with Lemieux/Strome/probably DeAngelo/Georgiev as RFA and Kreider/Namestnikov/Fast as UFA. Shouldn't be an issue assuming they aren't giving Kreider a huge deal.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I'm sure playing with players like Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Guentzel had something to do with the "inflated" stats considering he just put up 6 points in 27 games with the Ducks before going to an offensive powerhouse. Can't imagine what numbers Tony would have put up with that crew.

That argument would never hold water brother.

Tony’s numbers weren’t all that great the prior year either. Then he all of a sudden puts up 30. 23 year olds getting it. Coming into their own. Anybody could argue they’d do better and deserve more money if they had better teammates.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Pettersson's P/60 with Anaheim was 1.0 and was 1.1 with Pitt, so the trade only had a marginal impact on his offensive performance.

DeAngelo also played about 1.5 minutes more and 40 seconds more on the PP. In this case, DeAngelo benefitted from playing with a bunch of corpses as he received more ice time.

That's not to say Pettersson is better or anything. I don't know enough about him to make that kind of judgment. But on the surface, the comparison isn't unreasonable, to me anyway.

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I don’t understand why CapFriendly has them over the cap then. I’ll have to re-read the LTIR rules I guess.

Edit: Nvm I remember how it works now, I looked it up when the Ducks had Perry in LITR.

Even still...

LTIR = $13.75M (- H+D = $10.637M)
LTIR used = $3.85M (- H+D = $0.737M)
Hyman + Dermott LITR = $3.113M
Active Contracts = $72.24M (+ H+D =$75.35M)
Cap Max = $81.5M - $75.35M = $6.15M

Hyman and Dermott are obviously going to come back eventually. And they can’t give Marner a 5-year contract because Matthews and Nylander are UFAs in 5 years. Honestly I don’t know what the hell Dubas is doing up there. Matthews leaving the Maple Leafs @ age 25 is something that should never have been made possible.

CF has them with 24 active players and Marner unsigned. Add Marner in that's 25. So subtract 2-3 players from the current roster, then when H+D return subtract another 2 players from that roster.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
The longer DeAngelo stays out, the more time Fox has to impress the coaching staff as well as gain their trust. If Quinn feels comfortable with Trouba and Fox as his top two RHDs, then DeAngelo’s value to the team is decreased. I’m a fan of DeAngelo, but his absence will not be doing him any good.
It should also stand to reason that if Fox looks unprepared for the NHL, ADA has a tremendous bargaining position.

This is a gamble for both sides. But it's a little tiresome to see every move the kid makes put under a microscope and analyzed for how selfish or immature it was. This is an informed decision, made in conjunction with an agent at the minimum.

You have been a balanced poster in this and all issues, so me piggybacking this post isn't an attack. We've seen this exact move made by a who's who of recent Ranger favorites, including Dubinsky, Kreider and Stepan. I'm not going to fault him for a business decision.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Panarin, Kakko, Kravtsov, Trouba, Fox, Hajek/Rykov/Lindgren, Shesty replacing Hayes, Zuccarello, McLeod/Whomever, Shattenkirk, Pionk. Claesson and Halvorsen. Another bunch of young players likely developing a bit (Zib, Buch, Skjei, Lemmy, ADA?, Lias, Chytil, Howden, Georgiev). 4, 1st round, middle aged, established NHLers (Kreider, Names, Strome and Fast) in their big, lifetime setting contract year too. They are going to hustle and bustle to get paid. Staal, Smith and Hank are the only 3 theoretical anchors - hopefully the coaches can deal with this through minute management. A very known scout told me today to “lookout for NYR this year, the most improved team on paper in the NHL. And with a chip on their shoulders too”...

Last edited:

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
It should also stand to reason that if Fox looks unprepared for the NHL, ADA has a tremendous bargaining position.

This is a gamble for both sides. But it's a little tiresome to see every move the kid makes put under a microscope and analyzed for how selfish or immature it was. This is an informed decision, made in conjunction with an agent at the minimum.

You have been a balanced poster in this and all issues, so me piggybacking this post isn't an attack. We've seen this exact move made by a who's who of recent Ranger favorites, including Dubinsky, Kreider and Stepan. I'm not going to fault him for a business decision.

I won’t fault him either, but unless the Rangers make a trade, there’s really nothing they can do to up their offer. It’s a mathematical impossibility. So I’d hesitate to call it an informed decision.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Sign and trade for ADA would maybe the best option for all involved. 2 years at 2,5 M. Let’s say we deal with Edmonton. For J.P. Plus we would of course add a non roster piece of reasonable proportions. Let him (JP) play a while in Finland to hopefully get some of his Mojo back now, no hurry. Doable and smart IMO. And then sign that big guy McQuaid (if OK after concussion) at around 800K. Nastiness box clicked

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad