Speculation: Roster Building Thread V (2019/2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
F08150B5-9EC4-4CE4-ABEF-010B1473E3BF.jpeg

"I dunno Tone. Alls im saying is that maybe getting that same money as the angry french kid wouldn't be so bad"

10386996-5.jpg

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
upload_2019-9-12_13-40-37.png

I think we are painting a bit of a loopsided picture of TDA.

1. We had a really expensive one way PPQB vet at RD last season in Shatty who couldn't handle tough match-ups, Smith was a huge UFA signing as a RD, we traded for McQuaid and Pionk was used a lot to play defensive minutes.

Honestly, I think that it was impressive that TDA could sit as much as he did, and still be as confident with the puck as he was when he hit the ice. I don't read much at all into the fact that he sat a big chunk of games. There were zero room for him to start the season.

2. Now it is supposedly a truth that TDA was a healthy scratch for us last season due to off-ice/personal issues. First of all, please someone refresh my memory here, but have there even been a report clearly stating this? Second of all, we where clearly rotating players in and out of the line-up all season and especially at RD. The thresh-hold to be sat is of course much lower when you at the most change the sequence in the rotation. Its not like our decision to scratch TDA can be compared to like Nashville scratching Radulov or whatever. If I remember correctly the message was basically that "TDA will not play and we have told him why".

3. For every report someone pay attention to saying that TDA has issues, you can easily find three reports of Gorton or Quinn going on record clearly stating that they like and appreciate what TDA contributes with on and off the ice. Gorton just recently. But that don't fit some people's agenda so its not re-reported.

4. To reply to the points you make: I still think that you could care less about what someone has done when you pay them for what they are about to do. I don't care one bit if Marc Staal or Dan Girardi or Wade Redden or Brad Richards had "earned" the contracts they got, they where and still to some extent are completely back-breaking for us.

Look at someone like Zaitsev. He signed a contract when he was 23 y/o. Takes him to 30. He underperformed -- a lot. The market was really tough this summer. Toronto could still trade Zaitsev.

When you sign a kid that is 22-23 y/o to a long-term deal that downside is very very limited, and the upside is huge. Just look at all long-term deals signed by younger players 3 years ago. They are beyond lucrative today. All of them. And the Cap haven't even gone much up at all.

When you give all kids bridge deals you lose the leverage you have. Often the bridge deal is followed by a 1-2 year deal. And then you stand there and have to make a decision on a player that is about to become a UFA. Do you want to lose this player that still is fairly young and in his prime for nothing, or do you give him a long-term deal. Its those long-term deals, signed by players that are 26-27 y/o, that are extremely risky. And has basically no upside. Why should we repeatedly put ourself in that position?

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
View attachment 254079

I think we are painting a bit of a loopsided picture of TDA.

1. We had a really expensive one way PPQB vet at RD last season in Shatty who couldn't handle tough match-ups, Smith was a huge UFA signing as a RD, we traded for McQuaid and Pionk was used a lot to play defensive minutes.

Honestly, I think that it was impressive that TDA could sit as much as he did, and still be as confident with the puck as he was when he hit the ice. I don't read much at all into the fact that he sat a big chunk of games. There were zero room for him to start the season.

2. Now it is supposedly a truth that TDA was a healthy scratch for us last season due to off-ice/personal issues. First of all, please someone refresh my memory here, but have there even been a report clearly stating this? Second of all, we where clearly rotating players in and out of the line-up all season and especially at RD. The thresh-hold to be sat is of course much lower when you at the most change the sequence in the rotation. Its not like our decision to scratch TDA can be compared to like Nashville scratching Radulov or whatever. If I remember correctly the message was basically that "TDA will not play and we have told him why".

3. For every report someone pay attention to saying that TDA has issues, you can easily find three reports of Gorton or Quinn going on record clearly stating that they like and appreciate what TDA contributes with on and off the ice. Gorton just recently. But that don't fit some people's agenda so its not re-reported.
When Quinn finally addressed the issue of DeAngelo being scratched, he said it was something involving practice, and that Tony knows what it is. And Tony subsequently said he had stuff he knew he needed to work on and was doing so and we be back soon. IIRC, this is when Tony sat out multiple games in a row. He did sit out other games after this as well. None of us know exactly what it means, but it's clear he wasn't living up to coach's expectations in some way.

Someone can fill in the cracks here if I'm missing something.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
There are so many times we thought something was going on when a young guy didn't play over an older player that was also a whipping boy here. But it just boiled down to the coach choosing one guy over the other. It could be most NHL coaches are blind, worse than fans, too worried about their security to lose a game by playing a young player, or there is just a culture in hockey that insists on paying dues. Or they have more information than any of us.

But we don't have enough info available to assume every scratch was for an attitude issue or a behavioral incident.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
When Quinn finally addressed the issue of DeAngelo being scratched, he said it was something involving practice, and that Tony knows what it is. And Tony subsequently said he had stuff he knew he needed to work on and was doing so and we be back soon. IIRC, this is when Tony sat out multiple games in a row. He did sit out other games after this as well. None of us know exactly what it means, but it's clear he wasn't living up to coach's expectations in some way.

Someone can fill in the cracks here if I'm missing something.

Quinn Explains Decision to Scratch DeAngelo - MSGNetworks.com

Reactions: nyr2k2

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
So is this Quinn’s lines for TC (going by the groups):

Panarin-Ziba-Buch
Kreider-Chytil-Kakko
Lemieux-Howden-Fast (Kravy?)
Lias-Strome-Namestnikov
I mocked this in CapFriendly to see how much money was left for DeAngelo:

With Smith moonlighting at the 7D/13F and Kravtsov in Hartford, they have $2.61M left. Swapping Kravtsov for Lias leaves $2.58M. Having one of Nieves/McKegg/PDG/Lettieri as the 13F leaves you with between $1.88-$1.91M.

Given the light schedule to start the year, it makes sense to go with Smith as the 13F/7D until they need to make another call up. I'd say it leaves a ceiling of around $1.5M for DeAngelo on a one-year deal, even though I know we'd both prefer to see him locked in long term.

Even though we're gonna be bad this year, at least that roster has a ton of potential to be a fun hockey team.

Reactions: egelband and Ola

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I mean how long can this take? The DeAngelo camp has to know how much money the team has to work with. They also have to know he’s a player trying to break thru full time fact is he was scratched for 25 percent of the season. There’s only so much money to give. It’s around 1 to 1.2 mil tops that they can afford to give him. They offered what 875k? They all know that 925k they just gave Lemieux has to be the new starting point so what’s the issue? It’s a negotiation between 925k and 1.2 mil? Come on get it done.

You gotta wonder if the team wants him to take a 2 year deal and that’s the issue

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
By the way shouldnt we have a training camp thread? Or staying here?

Looks like unfortunately Rykov has a sprained ankle. That’s going to pretty much make it difficult for him to challenge Hajek for that roster spot. Sprained ankles are tough injuries

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
The longer DeAngelo stays out, the more time Fox has to impress the coaching staff as well as gain their trust. If Quinn feels comfortable with Trouba and Fox as his top two RHDs, then DeAngelo’s value to the team is decreased. I’m a fan of DeAngelo, but his absence will not be doing him any good.

My feelings exactly. Especially with the improvements Fox showed in Traverse City.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
I delved into this matter for close to a month. I checked with about 4-5 different sources I have within the organization regarding ADA's maturity issues, and found one common theme..

hcmp84697_252251.jpeg

+

GettyImages-172100998.jpg

It's the JT Miller Saga all over again!
JT was a waffles issue I believe

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
I delved into this matter for close to a month. I checked with about 4-5 different sources I have within the organization regarding ADA's maturity issues, and found one common theme..

hcmp84697_252251.jpeg

+

GettyImages-172100998.jpg

It's the JT Miller Saga all over again!
Asking our resident Russians, why can’t Russian players ever get their bangs properly trimmed? The bad bang trim has been an issue for me for a while. Surely an ELC buys a better barber experience.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT

Deleted member 23124

We dip it in Bacon juice, then deep fry it, then sprinkle pepperoni, mozzarella, doughnut crumbles, and steak bits. Murica!!!!
I got clogged arteries reading this!!!

Reactions: Kupo

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If the same $925K offer is on the table for DeAngelo, I hope he takes it. It's a $50K bump from the QO, and seems reasonable given the totality of the circumstances. Take the deal, show what you can do, and you can clean up in arbitration a year from now.

It's probably his smartest move. I can understand his not signing though....but the other end of it all is I think whether he signs or not there is a very strong likelihood that the Rangers will move on from him before he comes up for arbitration next year.

Deleted member 23124

It's probably his smartest move. I can understand his not signing though....but the other end of it all is I think whether he signs or not there is a very strong likelihood that the Rangers will move on from him before he comes up for arbitration next year.
I've had the feeling Rangers will trade him first chance they get.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I've had the feeling Rangers will trade him first chance they get.

To me Tony has the talent to have a career similar to Mathieu Schneider who was a very good though smallish offensive defenseman who was ideally a 2nd pair guy but if the team was mediocre or kind of shitty maybe a first pair guy. Tony IMO has a lot of the same attributes and Schneider was a good player. Tony needs to work on his defending a bit but it's not unreasonable to think he'll get better at that if he puts the effort in. He is still young. I think the writing on the wall for him here is Fox. Everything I get out of the Rangers is they're really keen on Adam and everything I've ever gotten on Tony was they've always wanted more.

Tony's only going to get a good deal in arbitration next year by playing and playing well. Not playing doesn't help that. He's between a rock and a hard place and the Rangers know that. For those here thinking that the Rangers need to get more creative I don't think they want to trade say Namestnikov (just using Vlad as an example) for less then they think he's worth to find more cap $'s for DeAngelo. The Rangers have a history of squeezing RFA's without arbitration rights. We'll see what happens......though I've said this a week or so back---it wouldn't surprise me if DeAngelo sat out training camp.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Brooks comment about multiple solutions leads me to believe someone or maybe both sides don’t want a 1 year deal. They honestly would do themselves a big favor if they leap frogged next season when the cap will be tight again with a reasonable 2 year deal right now. Maybe that’s the issue. Tony doesn’t want a 2 year 2.5 mil total deal while the team is saying sign at your QO or sign a 2 year show me bridge deal.

It seems like a simple 1 year 1.2 mil deal would be done by now if it were that simple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad